Advice for finding the cervix?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's wrong with "should?" It's part of knowing your own body, particularly if you become sexually involved with someone and/or want to become pregnant. I assume we have all looked for our own uvulae and tonsils, correct?
Obviously for a virgin with an imperforate hymen I do not recommend this, but very few of us fall under that category...

Members don't see this ad.

What's wrong with "should?" It's part of knowing your own body, particularly if you become sexually involved with someone and/or want to become pregnant. I assume we have all looked for our own uvulae and tonsils, correct?
Obviously for a virgin with an imperforate hymen I do not recommend this, but very few of us fall under that category...

The question is not, "Can you find your own cervix?" The question is "Can you find the cervix on a woman, particularly if the woman is obese or has an oddly positioned uterus?"

Honestly, knowing how to find my own cervix probably wouldn't help. The difficulty in finding the cervix on another patient lies in the patient's body habitus, the patient's level of discomfort, and your own discomfort (it smells strong, your resident is breathing down your neck, and sometimes there are slimy secretions added into the mix.)

So, no - I don't think that there's any "should" about it. I mean, if you want to - go ahead. But I don't think that it adds anything or that women "need" to do it or anything.

And how does knowing where your cervix is affect your ability to get pregnant? I can guarantee you that none of the patients on OB/gyn had ever seen their own cervix, and yet they all had no trouble getting pregnant....

Being able to find your own cervix makes you more comfortable with the anatomy of that area just as being familiar with your own mouth increases your comfort with examining the mouth. And if you are having sex (most people who want to get pregnant are having sex) being familiar with your own body helps you to relax and enjoy yourself, and to pinpoint any discomfort you might be experiencing. And having this knowledge can reduce fear and increase understanding during labor, especially if something goes wrong.
I sense something that seems like defensiveness. Other than the previously mentioned imperforate hymen, why would someone who has enough interest in the human body to go to medical school be so incurious as to not explore her own body?

Members don't see this ad :)
Being able to find your own cervix makes you more comfortable with the anatomy of that area just as being familiar with your own mouth increases your comfort with examining the mouth.

:confused:

I've minimally examined my own mouth, but never had a trouble examining patients for ulcers/necrotic teeth/etc. I don't really do routine SBE (might start in a few years), but I've had zero discomfort doing breast exams on other women. And I don't have a penis (that is a part of my own body) to examine, but I've done scrotal exams without trouble.

I don't know if you're on the wards yet, or if you've done your OB or FP rotations yet, but - for most med students, it is NOT discomfort with the "area" that causes the difficulty. You're doing these exams under less-than-favorable circumstances. The patient's nervous (who wouldn't be, with a third year med student putting the speculum in?) and the student is nervous (who wouldn't be, with a resident breathing down your neck and critiquing your technique).

Speculum exams made me nervous because I didn't want to cause the woman any pain or physical damage - a very real possibility, particularly because the speculum comes so close to the urethra. The fear of causing pain to the patient was definitely my #1 fear. Discomfort with the "area" of the body was minimal.

And if you are having sex (most people who want to get pregnant are having sex) being familiar with your own body helps you to relax and enjoy yourself, and to pinpoint any discomfort you might be experiencing. And having this knowledge can reduce fear and increase understanding during labor, especially if something goes wrong.

How does it increase understanding during labor?

The biggest pains and discomfort from labor do not usually come from the cervix - they usually come from areas that the average person cannot see (i.e. inside the uterus). When things go wrong in labor, it's usually because the actual baby is having a problem - i.e. it's moving less, its fetal heart strip is non-reassuring, etc.

why would someone who has enough interest in the human body to go to medical school be so incurious as to not explore her own body?

* I didn't go to med school because I was interested in the human body, anatomy, or even basic science. I liked the idea of helping people, and I like clinical medicine. But I wasn't all that curious about the human body.

* I've dissected a cadaver to pieces, and poked and prodded half-a-dozen standardized patients. Examining these things on myself isn't that exciting to me after a while.

* I've seen many, many cervices on OB/gyn. I'm not really that curious to see how different mine looks. As long as it doesn't have a huge honking squamous cell carcinoma on it, I'm happy.

I sense something that seems like defensiveness. Other than the previously mentioned imperforate hymen, why would someone who has enough interest in the human body to go to medical school be so incurious as to not explore her own body?

It's not defensiveness - just confusion. I don't think you really seem to understand what examining patients on the wards is like. The biggest problems don't come because I'm "uncomfortable" with the "area of the body" that I'm examining. The biggest problems come because I don't know what the HELL I'm doing, but I'm trying desparately not to show it! The possibility of screwing up looms so large in your mind that any other considerations tend not to be a problem.

Nice try at analysis, but it's pretty far off the mark. Just don't go into psych. ;)

I'm not sure what kind of analysis you're talking about: it seems to me that you are being more analytical here than I am.
I am well aware of, and have experienced, the discomfort of examining a patient. And yes, hurting the patient is a concern: not only putting pressure on the urethra but pinching the labia with the speculum could be pretty painful and awkward for all concerned.
I was not interested in getting into an argument, it just seemed like your reaction to my post was way out of proportion to the actual topic.

I am well aware of, and have experienced, the discomfort of examining a patient. And yes, hurting the patient is a concern: not only putting pressure on the urethra but pinching the labia with the speculum could be pretty painful and awkward for all concerned.

True. Also:
  • Avoiding the use of words like "good," and "fine." Remembering to use words like "normal" and "healthy" took me a little while.
  • Keeping your "room" hand clean.
  • Remembering to observe the vaginal walls as you remove the speculum.
  • Not burning yourself on the lamp! ;)

I'm not sure what kind of analysis you're talking about: it seems to me that you are being more analytical here than I am.

I was not interested in getting into an argument, it just seemed like your reaction to my post was way out of proportion to the actual topic.

I meant the analysis that there was "defensiveness" at work here. Not particularly.

I just found the use of the word "should" to be funny. It's like saying that people "should" chew their gum exactly 274 times, or that women "should" get Susan B. Anthony tattoos. I mean, you could go out and do these things - but what earthly purpose would it serve? Especially in the context of the original topic - I didn't see how finding your own cervix helps you find the cervix in other women. That's all :)

When I first posted, somehow I hadn't seen most of the previous responses, which were to the point. The OP expressed interest in viewing her own cervix; probably my own experiences working in a women's clinic led to my belief that women should know their own bodies. In addition, I got through anatomy palpating and manipulating my own body as an example (you should have seen me during tests!)
I do appreciate your input as you have shown me an alternative view that wouldn't have occurred to me otherwise ;-)
Now I'm going to try to leave the computer alone and get some work done- have a good night!

I saw one of the attendings do this and it works every time for him. For the cervix that is posterior or tilted, put the speculum in and open it. If you only see folds of vaginal tissue then you're probably in one of the fornices...withdraw the speculum a little...then ask the patient to bear down as if they're having a bowel movement. The cervix will slowly come into view as her increase in abdominal pressure from the Valsalva will bring the cervix mildline and towards the end of your speculum. Hope it helps.

you should feel it- it's like the tip of your nose.

That is exactly how palpation of the prostate was described to us in class. Everything tastes like chicken and everything feels like the tip of your nose