Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship 2022-2023 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wonder how many interviews people have got so far? I have 9 so far. Dont know if that is adequate number to match for AEF this year. Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Wonder how many interviews people have got so far? I have 9 so far. Dont know if that is adequate number to match for AEF this year. Any thoughts??
I’m doing around 20 interviews. If one program loves you that’s all it takes. There’s a lot of politics that come into play with there only being ~1 spot per program. If there’s an internal candidate or other political factors it can completely change the game. It really comes down to chance with the whole match thing.

Around 10 for me. I believe we should be ok. It’s hard to tell like the above post says

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear from UT Houston? I filled out a separate application for them (in addition to ASGE) and never heard anything back...

Anyone hear from UT Houston? I filled out a separate application for them (in addition to ASGE) and never heard anything back...
Not me.
Do we need that separate application to be filled? I tried filling that at the time of application but gave up.

UTSW
WashU St Louis
Beth Israel Deaconess
Cedars Sinai
Mount Sinai New York
Virginia Mason
Emory
NYU Winthrop
University of Missouri Columbia
University of Pennsylvania
University of Florida
SUNY Stonybrook
Mayo Clinic Florida
Carolinas Medical Center
VCU
Geisinger
AHN
U Alabama
University of Colorado
University of Miami
Michigan
Cleveland clinic
Columbia
Brigham & Women’s - HMS
University of Southern California
University of South Florida
Indiana University
Henry Ford
Baylor University
Parkview
UT San Antonio
Largo Medical Center
Vanderbilt
Mayo Arizona
University of Minnesota
University of Arkansas
Cornell
MD Anderson
Penn State
UChicago
Duke
Center for interventional endoscopy

UTSW
WashU St Louis
Northwestern
Yale
Beth Israel Deaconess
Cedars Sinai
Mount Sinai New York
Virginia Mason
Emory
NYU Winthrop
University of Missouri Columbia
University of Pennsylvania
University of Florida
SUNY Stonybrook
Mayo Clinic Florida
Carolinas Medical Center
VCU
Geisinger
AHN
U Alabama
University of Colorado
University of Miami
Michigan
Cleveland clinic
Columbia
Brigham & Women’s - HMS
University of Southern California
University of South Florida
Indiana University
Henry Ford
Baylor University
Parkview
UT San Antonio
Largo Medical Center
Vanderbilt
Mayo Arizona
University of Minnesota
Stanford
University of Arkansas
Cornell
MD Anderson
Penn State
UChicago
Duke
Center for Interventional Endoscopy

Updated with Yale and Stanford from others' posts

Good luck everyone.
For those of us applying in the future, any impressions of programs from this cycle?

what is the situation nowadays for applicants requiring J1 visa sponsorship?
what is the situation nowadays for applicants requiring J1 visa sponsorship?
Unfortunately none.. as you are supposed to work as an attending during fellowship.. take shared calls etc. and you will have to be on J1waiver. Very limited number of position for H1B also..

thats pretty sad. I've heard there are programs out there that do sponsor J1 for advanced but they tend to be the most competitive and are really only for stellar candidates

thats pretty sad. I've heard there are programs out there that do sponsor J1 for advanced but they tend to be the most competitive and are really only for stellar candidates
Yes.. there are..if they have their own funding.. in that case they can hire on J1 visa. Very limited number.. such as BIDMC/Brigham etc.. Brigham has been taking their own bariatric fellow as their therapeutic fellow for some time..

How competitive is advanced? And, what all do programs look for in applicants?

How competitive is advanced? And, what all do programs look for in applicants?

Reasonably competitive, especially at high volume and big name centers. Essentially looking for the same as what they looked for in GI candidates. Solid clinical performance, big name letters, big name research.

Hello folks-
As we are entering the 2023-24 AEF cycle, I am curious to know about the non-ASGE accredited AEF programs. I have heard they do exist but wasn't sure how many and where all? Would appreciate your inputs. Thanks in advance