All Branch Topic (ABT) ADHD/ADD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mCATintheHAT123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
if one has ADD/ADHD and takes med's, does that disqualify them from HPSP? I saw an old thread and it sounds like it might.

What if one were to be diagnosed after receiving the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

Sooo..if I am reading this right, if you have a history of ADD/ADHD, you are ineligible for HPSP (if you were taking it during your academic times in the last 12 months). HOWEVER, if you were never diagnosed with ADD/ADHD prior and you have a history of decent/good academics for the last 12 months, you are in the clear? Did I read that right?

I noticed this is from 2011 though and the medical stuff from chapter 2 is from 2007...out of date perhaps?

a. Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s) (315) does not meet the standard, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months. b. Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects (315) secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, do not meet the standard. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

I'm not an expert but this is the regulation that determines obituary qualification. If you don't meet the standard waivers could still be sought for some conditions. Everything from the apd website is the most up to date.

If you haven't been diagnosed with add then why are you worried about being dq'ed?
Think if I asked some recruiters they'd be able to give me an accurate answer without talking out of their ass?

I've been coming to terms with reality and I think I may have ADD. People have been telling me it for years but I would deny it. I may see a psychiatrist and to get evaluated and in the event I am diagnosed and medicated, I dont want it DQ'ing me from HPSP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo..if I am reading this right, if you have a history of ADD/ADHD, you are ineligible for HPSP (if you were taking it during your academic times in the last 12 months). HOWEVER, if you were never diagnosed with ADD/ADHD prior and you have a history of decent/good academics for the last 12 months, you are in the clear? Did I read that right?

I noticed this is from 2011 though and the medical stuff from chapter 2 is from 2007...out of date perhaps?

a. Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (314), or Perceptual/Learning Disorder(s) (315) does not meet the standard, unless applicant can demonstrate passing academic performance and there has been no use of medication(s) in the previous 12 months. b. Current or history of academic skills or perceptual defects (315) secondary to organic or functional mental disorders, including, but not limited to dyslexia, that interfere with school or employment, do not meet the standard. Applicants demonstrating passing academic and employment performance without utilization or recommendation of academic and/or work accommodations at any time in the previous 12 months may be qualified.

Don't be such a scumbag. If you think you have ADD/ADHD and want stimulants because you think you'll be a superstar in medical school then get diagnosed, be honest about it at MEPS and try for a waiver after being DQ'd.

That's the fair and ethical way to go about it. If you get diagnosed afterwards that still needs to be disclosed to the HPSP people but you'd be retained in all likelihood but disqualified from flight, dive.

By the way the MEPS physical will ask you questions about learning issues attention stuff etc. so if you lie on the physical (even without being formerly diagnosed at that point in time) and then 6 months later pop up on meds that could be considered fraudulent enlistment.

Good luck

ex 61N