Additional income for OMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Echinoidea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of how much extra income a DO FP could generate by incorporating some OMT into their practice? I know the average salary for an FP is around 120K, and I was wondering if an active DO using OMT could reasonably increase this. I'm not talking about a basing a practice solely on OMT, just treating patients who could benefit from it or request it. Any ancedotes or personal experience would be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have the exact same question as above.

From what I’ve heard, not particularly well for the time involved. Patients love OMT - and it’ll help fill your patient panel - but it’ll put wear & tear on your body and schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I’ve heard, not particularly well for the time involved. Patients love OMT - and it’ll help fill your patient panel - but it’ll put wear & tear on your body and schedule.
Depends where and your model. If you make it cash practice in a posh city like LA or Miami, you can make bank

Depends where and your model. If you make it cash practice in a posh city like LA or Miami, you can make bank

Thanks for the responses.

Could you elaborate on what locations and models could expect to earn more from OMT in practice?

What settings other than "cash practices" could OMT increase salary? To be clear, like the OP, I am not asking about OMT only practices.

Thanks for the responses.

Could you elaborate on what locations and models could expect to earn more from OMT in practice?

What settings other than "cash practices" could OMT increase salary? To be clear, like the OP, I am not asking about OMT only practices.
Like i said, major metropolitan areas where overly educated liberal people live. You will need to do cash if you want real money. You don't need to be OMM exclusive. You can do it once a week. You can take insurance for patients every day except on OMM day.

The other alternative would be a direct primary care model where patients who want OMM pay a higher premium. If you're after insurance, you need to make sure it's not Medicaid, but even the other ones won't pay significantly well. Realistically, it will probably get you to just break even or lose a bit if you do it with insurance. The only benefit to this is if it makes more people want to sign up for your clinic in an area that's saturated

Salary was that low in 2005 (120k/year). I guess the sky is not falling like many claim in SDN.

Based on the 2022 MGMA, the median is ~260k (ambulatory) and ~330k (FM-hospitalist). I wonder if these salaries have kept up with inflation.

Does anyone have an idea of how much extra income a DO FP could generate by incorporating some OMT into their practice? I know the average salary for an FP is around 120K, and I was wondering if an active DO using OMT could reasonably increase this. I'm not talking about a basing a practice solely on OMT, just treating patients who could benefit from it or request it. Any ancedotes or personal experience would be really appreciated!
120K for Family Practice? That's what an NP makes. Definitely have the wrong contract there.

120K for Family Practice? That's what an NP makes. Definitely have the wrong contract there.
That post in from 18 years ago lol. In 2005 $120k probably was a good salary but I really have no idea.

Salary was that low in 2005 (120k/year). I guess the sky is not falling like many claim in SDN.

Based on the 2022 MGMA, the median is ~260k (ambulatory) and ~330k (FM-hospitalist). I wonder if these salaries have kept up with inflation.
Aside from certain specialties (CT surgery, plastic surgery, ophthalmology and interventional cardiology), salaries have pretty much kept up with inflation. In fact some specialties nowadays make more (adjusted for inflation) that they did 20 or 30 years ago

Aside from certain specialties (CT surgery, plastic surgery, ophthalmology and interventional cardiology), salaries have pretty much kept up with inflation. In fact some specialties nowadays make more (adjusted for inflation) that they did 20 or 30 years ago
120k a year straight inflation adjusted is $186,867.59 today so FM has actually greatly outpaced inflation by a lot actually!

120k a year straight inflation adjusted is $186,867.59 today so FM has actually greatly outpaced inflation by a lot actually!
Yes. Two of my close friends are in FM. Extremely desirable locations. Make 250-270k 4 days a week

On the other hand, interventional pain management paid near 7 figures in the 2000-2005 era. Adjust to inflation, they’re now getting paid about third of what they were making two decades ago.

Yes. Two of my close friends are in FM. Extremely desirable locations. Make 250-270k 4 days a week

On the other hand, interventional pain management paid near 7 figures in the 2000-2005 era. Adjust to inflation, they’re now getting paid about third of what they were making two decades ago.
Amazing. No wonder some physicians complain how much their salary has gone down.

Amazing. No wonder some physicians complain how much their salary has gone down.
If you have time on your hands, use the advance search function on this site and look up posts salaries in the pain subforum before 2005.

Similarly, look up salaries in the FM subforum and you’ll see that 120-150 was like the norm

Crazy how the tides have turned for pain. It’s really questionable whether the fellowship is worth it from a financial perspective, especially if a physician wants to practice in a non-rural location

They were also doing a lot of dubious treatments, but they still do that to this day. In some ways it may be worse. I dont know if you have been in an interventional pain clinic but its damn near unsafe levels of production line treatments. It is crazy.