Adding a PhD to an MD application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STEMblonde

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the application process now and have applied to over 20 MD programs already. The doctors I work under in my research job (full time) are highly recommending I apply to MdPhd programs. Is there a simple process to change applications thus where I have already applied MD only? Is anyone aware of certain institutions where this is simpler than others? I'm super busy right now with getting secondaries out and can't afford to invest a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad.

I would email the programs letting them know you'd like to have your application transferred over and ask if there is anything you would need to do.

I believe you can change the designation in AMCAS after submitting. You may need to communicate to the school as well to ensure they know you wanted to switch.

I am in the application process now and have applied to over 20 MD programs already. The doctors I work under in my research job (full time) are highly recommending I apply to MdPhd programs. Is there a simple process to change applications thus where I have already applied MD only? Is anyone aware of certain institutions where this is simpler than others? I'm super busy right now with getting secondaries out and can't afford to invest a lot of time.
I know you are asking a technical question, but whether you want to apply to MD/PhD or MD only should depends on your professional interest and career planning, rather than mentor's recommendation. MD/PhD and physician-scientist are completely different life than a pure clinician. And it is only for a very few who have intense passion in research and would rank it much higher than financial return

Reactions: 1 user