adc buddy group ki

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys how are you all . I am new to this place , Pl help me

Members don't see this ad.

Dear Echinopora,
I am sitting for the final exam in Nov 2010. I have some doubts regd the pattern. Is the complex amalgam cavity already prepared & we just have to restore it? Or do we need to prepare the cavity as well as restore it?? ALso, do we also have MCQ's for the 1st 3 days, or is it only SAQ's?? Thanks so much for ur help!

Members don't see this ad :)
ALso if anyone is giving the exams in Nov 2010..pls let me know...we can have a study group

I'm sure there are differences at every exam, but when I wrote you had to prepare 3 class II's and one complex amalgam, then restore an already prepared complex in the first 3 hour operative block. In the second block you had to restore a complex composite that was already prepared, and then prepare a some class III composite and prepare a broken anterior for composite restoration.

During the weekend (the first 2 days) you are given quite a few papers to write. Pretty much all the disciplines are covered. Most of the papers are 10-25 MCQ followed by 2-5 pages of short answer questions

guys I am sitting for prelim in March 2011,if you are intrested in team up for studying ,send me a message here,
Cheers
P.S:I live in sydney by the way

Last edited:
I just found out that I passed my OET. Thank goodness..One down two more to go. Happy to share my experience. I am starting to prep for my ADC prelim exam. Does anyone have sample questions? Would appreciate it so much. My email is [email protected].

Echinopora
OET: Passed july 08
Prelim: Passed March 09
Clinical: Passed Jan 10
Year of degree: 2007, University of Alberta (Canada)
Residing in: Alberta, Canada

I've recently completed the exam process and thought I should share my experience.

First of all, you are looking at 3 years to finish the whole process, so you should take that into consideration.

The basic layout of the final exam starts with 2 days of written exams (infection control, oral medicine, restorative, perio, prosth, pedo, pathology will all be covered in the short answer and multiple choice. You will also have to design a partial denture (upper/lower). The questions are straigtforward and mostly clinical (ie. a picture or radiographs and treatment plan and how you would manage). For infection control I would suggest getting the ADA clinical guidelines and the ADA infection control guidelines.

The next 4 days are clinical.
Operative has 3 tests, each 3.5 hours long.
#1- Bridge prep and oral exam
#2- Amalgam preps (simple and complex) and restore a previosly prepared complex amalgam preparation. Remember that there are pulps in these teeth, which is important to take into consideration for the complex amalgam. They seem to prefer conventional amalgam preps (G.V Black). I would suggest you do this type of prep as opposed to conservative amalgam preps (Miles Markley) or ultra conservative preps. There will also be an oral exam
#3- Composite preps and restore plus oral exam.

Perio- Full charting on a quadrant, scale a designated area (I had to do Q3&4) and treatment plan whole mouth followed by oral exam. I would suggest getting the perio supplement from the Australian Dental Journal septemper 2009 supplement (v. 54), which is a fairly complete overview of current practices in periodontics.

Pedo- Short oral exam, maybe 25 minutes. All the questions from Cameron. Remineralization and prevention in the high caries risk patient are important. Remember that there are new fluoride guidelines in Australia from the Australian research council for oral health.

Oral Radiology and Oral Surgery: Oral rad you will have to take 2 films in ten minutes (plenty of time). Just make sure you have excellent infection control. Followed by a oral exam, which was fairly in depth. You needed to know pathology, radiographic errors, identify different types of exposures, SLOB rule, some oral path. Oral surgery you will be required to take a history on a patient, answer some questions about thier OPG and medical history and then extract one to several teeth. Followed by a oral exam. Instrument identification, pharmacology, oral diagnosis, oral path and clinical questions about how you would handle the cases shown in pictures. You will be asked about how to handle various medical emergencies in the dental office.

Endodontics- Access openings on 3 teeth, shape and obturate one canal, rubber dam and oral exam in 3 hours. Time management is important. Apical stop prep and cold lateral are expected. This is where I screwed up the most as they have switched to continuously tapering cone and warm vertical obturation here in Canada. Know the average lengths of all the teeth, the possible canal configurations and the probability of finding each configuration. Endo was my worst section.

I think that was it. The examiners are friendly, the questions are fair. Every candidate was extremely nervous (understandably). My biggest caution is not to try anything new in the exam. Don't do anything you haven't done 100 times in practice. Your first time is never that good, so don't let it be during the exam. I tried a few "firsts" in the endodontic clinic and it a) wasted a ton of time because it was unfamiliar and b) it looked terrible. I found stress management the hardest part of the test. I was so nervous I could hardly hold still during the first day of operative.

Most of the candidates in my group were currently working in the public dental system in Australia, I would say at least half of the candidates were working in the PDS. I found that the typodont teeth had differnt consistencies. The ones in crown and bridge were hard and cut like natural tooth. The class II amalgam teeth were standard dentoform teeth, medium softness. The complex amalgam tooth was very soft, many of the candidates had problems with this particular tooth. Don't overwork the tooth, plan the your retention and resistance form before you start preparation and don't nitpick too much or you will overcut the tooth. I made several mistakes in the operative clnic from overcutting because I was trying to make it just perfect. The problem is that you have so much time that you are tempted to keep improving your preps. In the real world you would finish these tasks in a 1-1.5 hours, and they give you 3.5 hours.

Be prepared to support your answers in the oral exams with references to journal articles or specific texts.

Otherwise, good luck
thanks for all these useful information. this is very kind of you, to post all the information after passing. usually people will forget others once they clear the exam,but u are very cosiderate. i really appreciate it. i have few doubts i'll be greatful to u if u can tell me about the following:-

for endodontics which teeth were given? anteriors or posteriors?
for bridge perpration what all are their specifications?
how will be the written paper? will it be like adc prelim exam? how many mcq's and howmany saq's

guys I am sitting for prelim in March 2011,if you are intrested in team up for studying ,send me a message here,
Cheers
P.S:I live in sydney by the way

hi"

iam looking for a serious study partner for preliminary exam (adc) 2011. at the moment iam in auckland. but iam also prepared to study on skype. or any other way.
if you are interested email me at [email protected]

thanks for all these useful information. this is very kind of you, to post all the information after passing. usually people will forget others once they clear the exam,but u are very cosiderate. i really appreciate it. i have few doubts i'll be greatful to u if u can tell me about the following:-

for endodontics which teeth were given? anteriors or posteriors?
for bridge perpration what all are their specifications?
how will be the written paper? will it be like adc prelim exam? how many mcq's and howmany saq's

Endo teeth- They are completely random. I had a upper lateral, upper premolar and upper wisdom tooth.
Bridge Prep- Depends on what type of bridge, gold/PFM/ceramic/zirconia, check your fixed pros book
Written paper- Mostly SAQ, only a couple of MCQ for infection control and pedo. It's been almost a year but I seem to remember about 3-7 pages of SAQ per test. The prelim is very short in comparison, I remember finishing the part 1/2 in 45min each and finished early by 5min on SAQ. I used all the time for the finals.

Good luck, study lots and most importantly practice on some dentoform teeth. You read lots of doom and gloom on this page, but it's not any worse than any other licensing exam. Definitely easier than the Canadian and US boards.

Rob

Did you or do you know someone that pass preliminary test on sept 2010??????
Hi, I am a dentist who took the test on sept 2010 on Melbourne........ We ( group of 5) have been studying for a while ...... And no one passed....... We would like to know someone that did passed, since format of SAQ Has changed.......and could help us....... Please you could send a message here or email at [email protected]....... Any help is kindly appreciated.....
Thanks

Did you or do you know someone that pass preliminary test on sept 2010??????
Hi, I am a dentist who took the test on sept 2010 on Melbourne........ We ( group of 5) have been studying for a while ...... And no one passed....... We would like to know someone that did passed, since format of SAQ Has changed.......and could help us....... Please you could send a message here or email at [email protected]....... Any help is kindly appreciated.....
Thanks

Still waiting for results ... now you made me even more nervous that I was before ... :(

And yes, SAQ's were the tough part of the exam. Was it the only part you and your buddies flanked?

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for results ... now you made me even more nervous that I was before ... :(

And yes, SAQ's were the tough part of the exam. Was it the only part you and your buddies flanked?

We passed the mcqs but the saq.....

ADC Preliminary Exam - September 2010 .......... PASSED !!! :)

Clinical Exam - here I come ... :)

Congratulations again...
Good Luck with everything.....

Hi guys, i am from Peru and live in Melbourne, just joined this forum. I would like to prepare myself trough OTC, does anyone know about the skills assessment(DSHV) this January 2011 , i haven't practice much dental clinic for a while, so i really need to start from basics, thanks all for the help,IT WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED,
AMIGA

hi,
i have just passed the ADC prelims and will be sitting for the clinical exams in july 2011.does anyone have any study material or other information regarding the exam that they can share

hi,
the key to passing saqs is the right format and writing quickly.follow the format given in odell,its perfect and make sure you answer all the questions .its better to submit 3 compromised answers than just 2 good ones. make sure you write subtitles ,underline keywords and put the information across in tables.

make sure you write subtitles ,underline keywords and put the information across in tables.

I did none of that, and however have passed the exam. :rolleyes:

IMHO, there's no way to study for the SAQ's. You just have to know your way around dentistry. Therapeutic Guidelines might show you the Australian perspective on different aspects. :thumbup:

I did none of that, and however have passed the exam. :rolleyes:

IMHO, there's no way to study for the SAQ's. You just have to know your way around dentistry. Therapeutic Guidelines might show you the Australian perspective on different aspects. :thumbup:

just proves different approaches can lead to te same result.:)
BTW when are you giving your clinical exam?are you planning to join the OTC course

Congratulations drdisha, i am just starting the full process, i checked some of the books recommended in this blog, but the amazon shop doesn't have the material and they don't know when are they going to have it..any other online bookstore that you know?

Gracias, Amiga.

just proves different approaches can lead to the same result.:)
BTW when are you giving your clinical exam?are you planning to join the OTC course

Well ... I guess I'll be applying for the July 2011 series of Clinical exams. Btw, does it mean that the exam is actually gonna take place in July (cause I already heard of different dates)?

I'm not going to take any course, since I reside way outside Australia :cool: ... so it's kinda DIY for me ... what about you? How do you plan to prepare for the clinical?

Congratulations drdisha, i am just starting the full process, i checked some of the books recommended in this blog, but the amazon shop doesn't have the material and they don't know when are they going to have it..any other online bookstore that you know?

Gracias, Amiga.

Hi Amiga,
I bought my books from the Melbourne University store online and had it delivered to me.
all the best

Well ... I guess I'll be applying for the July 2011 series of Clinical exams. Btw, does it mean that the exam is actually gonna take place in July (cause I already heard of different dates)?

I'm not going to take any course, since I reside way outside Australia :cool: ... so it's kinda DIY for me ... what about you? How do you plan to prepare for the clinical?

i just heard of one case where the dates were preponed by a month.what are the dates you heard of?how are you planning to prepare for the exams?
i am planning DIY too and so i needed a study partner.
i havnt started preparing for the exam but heard about the OTC course,so i wanted to get in touch with someone doing it.

i just heard of one case where the dates were preponed by a month.what are the dates you heard of?how are you planning to prepare for the exams?
i am planning DIY too and so i needed a study partner.
i havnt started preparing for the exam but heard about the OTC course,so i wanted to get in touch with someone doing it.

Guys, check booko.com for book prices.... Good delivery some for free....

Guys, check booko.com for book prices.... Good delivery some for free....

Question.... Is anybody preparing for the preliminary in march and taking the test in NEW ZEALAND???????

People that passed in march 2010 is taking it in July 2011, for you might be longer.....maybe November or so....

People that passed in march 2010 is taking it in July 2011, for you might be longer.....maybe November or so....

I just read in the website that there is a priority list when they select candidates for the exams..
I cleared my OET and Prelims in 1st attempt.
doesnt that guarantee a place for july?

People that passed the prelims in March 2010 had an opportunity to apply to the Nov2010 clinicals. According to the priority system I think I have a good chance to squeeze into July2011 exams (passed prelims at first attempt, minimal time since the prelims, good scores at the MCQs).

The fall/spring series dates for the clinical are just loose guidelines. The number one priority for the Clinical Exams are foreign dentists who are practicing in the public system. They will always have first priority. I am a native enlglish speaker and passed the prelim with great grades in March 09, applied for the clinical for the fall and was assigned to Perth for Feb 10. At the time I was a member of the Yahoo ADC forums, and was one of the first to get a clinical date from those who passed the prelim in march 09. So in summary you have to be patient.

When I got to the Clinical Exam, probably 1/2 the candidates were from the public dentist system (mostly South Africans).

I've been looking for a Job in Aus for a few months, but turns out although there are alot of vacancies, most would prefer an Aus/UK grad or if you have an ADC certificate they want 3-5 years of Australian experience. So all in all, you have to be patient.

Rob

The fall/spring series dates for the clinical are just loose guidelines. The number one priority for the Clinical Exams are foreign dentists who are practicing in the public system. They will always have first priority. I am a native enlglish speaker and passed the prelim with great grades in March 09, applied for the clinical for the fall and was assigned to Perth for Feb 10. At the time I was a member of the Yahoo ADC forums, and was one of the first to get a clinical date from those who passed the prelim in march 09. So in summary you have to be patient.

When I got to the Clinical Exam, probably 1/2 the candidates were from the public dentist system (mostly South Africans).

I've been looking for a Job in Aus for a few months, but turns out although there are alot of vacancies, most would prefer an Aus/UK grad or if you have an ADC certificate they want 3-5 years of Australian experience. So all in all, you have to be patient.

Rob

Hi,
could you please tell what questions were asked during the part2 exam for viva and written.

I posted a summary of the test earlier in this thread. Overall, I would say a good portion of the questions (40-50%) are directly relavent to Australian Dental Journal articles over the last 2 years. The other 50-60% are standard dental stuff from texts. The exception is Pedo, where all questions are directly from Cameron, so I would definitely read it a few times. They stress clinical scenarios, so there will be 2 parts to most questions, 1) What is happening and 2) What will you do about it.

It has been a while now but here is some of what I can remember

Operative/f.pros-All the answers could be found in Studevart or Hume. You are mostly presented with a clinical situation and films and asked how you would treat. The questions are very general, for instance I was shown a slide of a BW film and asked to ID the cavities and formulate a treatment plan. The only specific questions will be taken from your answer, they are looking for understanding not regurgitation of memorized answers.

Pedo- Cameron

Rads/Path- Know all the anatomy and how it goes together in 3D, you will see many slides and photos, and be asked to ID each and tell them what you know about it.

OS- The Viva is just instruments, drugs, slides and how you would manage conditions you have identified. The practical part is mostly about your history on the patient you get, so it will vary.

RPD- Design a RPD. Sometimes you have to justify your design

As far a specific details and test materials, I don't have any test materials and the questions asked were taken from the books that I and others have suggested. I did not have any study partners, take any courses or have very much in the way of old tests other than the discussion of MCQ on some of the other boards. They are checking to make sure that you are competent to practice dentistry to thier standards, not whether you have memorized old questions. They will often ask if you have done something in practice and ask you to describe how it went. This serves 2 purposes, it lets them know what scope and type of practice you are capable of, and if you lie, I think they know right away because there is a difference between a book answer and real life.

On a separate note, I have seen at least 10 threads get shut down by moderators since starting the ADC exam process. Most of the people who have written these exams and passed aren't going to spend much time searching out new ADC exam threads, so if they are locked by a moderator you will lose the information you could be getting from these people. So as far as the exchange of copyrighted material (and soft copies and ADC questions are copyrighted) I will not be a part of it. When this thread gets shut down because of people breaking these rules, I'm not likely to bother looking for a new one.

Rob

Rob

So at the end you decided to stay in Canada?

P.S.
What type of immunizations were you required to present?
what kind of documentation is sufficient to them?

No, still trying to get a job in Australia. Funny thing is, about 2 weeks after I found out that I passed the Clinical, they changed the rules and Canadians are now eligible for direct registration. Oh well.

I'm sure I'll find a position in Australia eventually, and in the meantime my job here in Canada is a good one. I was just trying to get across that worrying about everthing wasn't going to speed things up.

As far as immunization status, I have MMR, polio, diptheria, tetanus, Hep B, HepB booster, whooping cough. That was enough for them. You will also need a current TB test (I went this way because we don't do TB Vaccinations in Canada) or proof of BCG innoculation. I had the Hospital here print out my immunization record and fax my mantoux test results. When you get there they will test you for MRSA before you can start the exam.

Good Luck

No, still trying to get a job in Australia. Funny thing is, about 2 weeks after I found out that I passed the Clinical, they changed the rules and Canadians are now eligible for direct registration. Oh well.

I'm sure I'll find a position in Australia eventually, and in the meantime my job here in Canada is a good one. I was just trying to get across that worrying about everthing wasn't going to speed things up.

As far as immunization status, I have MMR, polio, diptheria, tetanus, Hep B, HepB booster, whooping cough. That was enough for them. You will also need a current TB test (I went this way because we don't do TB Vaccinations in Canada) or proof of BCG innoculation. I had the Hospital here print out my immunization record and fax my mantoux test results. When you get there they will test you for MRSA before you can start the exam.

Good Luck

Is reverse 's' curve expected in the preparations during the exam?
is there a possibillity that they may ask wisdom tooth rct?

For Endo you will only have to fill one canal. Usually a incisor or premolar. I had a upper first premolar, but it had a apical split about 3mm from the apex so it was a little tough. Some had to do the palatal of and upper 6 or 7. One of my access openings was in an 8 that was totally calcified, but I don't thing they would ever make you do an RCT on one.

People that passed the prelims in March 2010 had an opportunity to apply to the Nov2010 clinicals. According to the priority system I think I have a good chance to squeeze into July2011 exams (passed prelims at first attempt, minimal time since the prelims, good scores at the MCQs).
Relax buddy
I cleared in march 2010 1st attempt and everything, applied within a week after result for nov. series and got a place in june.
some even got their dates in july series therefore be patient and expect to get a date this time next year

Relax buddy
I cleared in march 2010 1st attempt and everything, applied within a week after result for nov. series and got a place in june.
some even got their dates in july series therefore be patient and expect to get a date this time next year

does is matter that my OET expires in Oct 2011?

ADC Preliminary Exam - September 2010 .......... PASSED !!! :)

Clinical Exam - here I come ... :)
CONGRATULATIONS:)
Hi I am preparing for part 1. Can u plz tell me what to read for SAQ.
because this time lot of people failed in it.

CONGRATULATIONS:)
Hi I am preparing for part 1. Can u plz tell me what to read for SAQ.
because this time lot of people failed in it.

In my opinion, there's no single book to read to prepare for SAQ's. But you must read the Therapeutic Guidelines.

hi guys.. i just gave ADC part 1 in September 2010.. i didnt clear the SAQs part of it.. is there anyone who gave it in the same session and cleared the exam?? please let me knw as i would need some help regarding the SAQs..

thanks guys.
Dr Bilal

hi guys.. i just gave ADC part 1 in September 2010.. i didnt clear the SAQs part of it.. is there anyone who gave it in the same session and cleared the exam?? please let me knw as i would need some help regarding the SAQs..

thanks guys.
Dr Bilal

hi
i gave my prelims in sept and cleared .i will be happy to help you with it

could anyone help who passed adc prelim as i am giving it in march 2011. for saq part could anyone help that how to structure answer and what format and what would be the length of answer? with mcqs, what should read on top of 1060 mcqs?
any suggested saq reading on top of odell, therapeutic guidelines and anything else for mcqs?

Hey guys

I am preparing for the sept 2011 preliminary exam. i'm in sydney looking for a study partner.
hope to hear from u

cheers

Last edited:
hey guys,

good to know there are people willing to help those preparing for the exams.

could anyone please send me some MCQs, it would be great help. I am completely confused at the moment.

my email [email protected]

thanx a lot