ADAT KNOCKOUT- is it useful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has used ADAT knockout and whether it is helpful or not? Also, what other resources are good to use? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Wondering if anyone has used ADAT knockout and whether it is helpful or not? Also, what other resources are good to use? Thanks

I want to know too

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a 3rd year dental student and I'm currently studying from ADATKnockout. This is the only resource I'm using and it's pretty good. The only problem I have is that I just wish they had more q's, but from my understanding they're new and expanding. I would def give it a shot, especially bc I found like no other resource dedicated to the ADAT and every NBDE book I looked at was waaaay too broad... Pretty sure this was a solid investment :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard mixed things from upper year students. Do you guys think all the grad schools will soon shift in that they will require students to have taken the ADAT?

guys how long does it take to get ready to take the ADAT? how many hours a week . I just need to have an idea I cleared my part 1 and 2 2 years ago.. So I don't recall much from part 1..

Taking my test in may and i'm halfway through the knockout program. So far its been great! It's alot of information to take in but they do a really good job at giving reviews on major topics that I've totally forgotten. I'm also using first aid and some of my class notes to help me through material that isn't as clear or thoroughly covered. Their clinical sciences questions continue to wreck me so hopefully these are harder than the actual exam

I've heard mixed things from upper year students. Do you guys think all the grad schools will soon shift in that they will require students to have taken the ADAT?
I definitely think so. Residency programs requesting another exam/admissions factor was really the only reason why the ADA created it. They are having a harder and harder time measuring up applicants because NBDE is now pass/fail and a fair amount of dental schools are pass/fail now too. Initially, a large number of residency programs required it, but after realizing that it was released a little too prematurely, they werent sure what to make of the scores yet, and the ADA didn't pilot the exam before it was released, most of them pulled back. After the first few years are through, more and more will make the shift back to requiring it.

Initially, a large number of residency programs required it, but after realizing that it was released a little too prematurely, they werent sure what to make of the scores yet, and the ADA didn't pilot the exam before it was released, most of them pulled back. After the first few years are through, more and more will make the shift back to requiring it.
I recently took the ADAT and it felt like a joke. It was a very short exam considering how much potential material it covers. Really, two overt pharmacology questions is a valid gauge of one's knowledge on the subject? I have a hard time seeing this exam being a great predictor of an applicant's future success.

Big Hoss

I recently took the ADAT and it felt like a joke. It was a very short exam considering how much potential material it covers. Really, two overt pharmacology questions is a valid gauge of one's knowledge on the subject? I have a hard time seeing this exam being a great predictor of an applicant's future success.

Big Hoss
I don't necessarily either. But I also definitely don't think that licensing exams are a good assessment of clinical competency or a predictor of anything, yet that is what it was created and used for. I haven't taken the ADAT and I am not planning on it so I can't speak to what is on the test itself, but when I met with the ADA as an ASDA trustee, they explained why they created it and what it was supposed to do. Their intent was to give residencies another tool to consider when assessing their applicants. I wasn't vouching for the ADAT. The question I was answering was if more residencies would be requiring it in the future. And based on this information, I say yes... because if not the ADAT, what else would they use that they aren't already?

Last edited:
I guess the exam has a ways to go before being truly predictive. But that doesn't matter I suppose. I mean, how predictive is the DAT for being a good dentist? I'd say a little but doesn't tell the whole story

I used the app "ADAT hero" for the research section. It's not that expensive so i felt like it was worth it. The ADAT itself wasn't so bad but since we didn't learn that much about research in my school I felt like I needed all the help I could get in that section.