Actual US-IMG match data and future prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since this is a great thread with numbers/statistics etc., i thought i'd post some Canadian #'s for the Canadians that are lurking..
Canadians studying in..
Carib schools match at ~20%
Europe schools match at ~34% (with Irish schools matching at ~70%)
Australian schools match at ~63%
These are all based on CaRMS data, assuming of course you're a Canadian citizen/PR and studying abroad. In other words, it's extremely difficult to match back to Canada.

Thank you for bringing this up. Hopefully Canadian pre meds on SDN pursuing to be IMGs can see these statistics and see which are their best international options. Not sure how true this is but I've heard matching even for Canadian medical students is tougher than matching in the US for US medical students.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since this is a great thread with numbers/statistics etc., i thought i'd post some Canadian #'s for the Canadians that are lurking..
Canadians studying in..
Carib schools match at ~20%
Europe schools match at ~34% (with Irish schools matching at ~70%)
Australian schools match at ~63%
These are all based on CaRMS data, assuming of course you're a Canadian citizen/PR and studying abroad. In other words, it's extremely difficult to match back to Canada.
Put these numbers up against SGU and they lose

Put these numbers up against SGU and they lose
The attrition rates for Europe and Australia schools are always less than 5%. That is not the case with SGU.

Last edited by a moderator:
The attrition rates for Europe and Australia schools are always less than 5%. That is not the case with SGU.
All you guys have is attrition rates, SGU still produces more doctors and residents then any other individual US medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
SGU's attrition isn't all that terrible. Ross, however, fails more students each year than every US allopathic medical school COMBINED.
http://medschoolcaribstyle.blogspot.com/2010/12/class-size-and-attrition-rate.html
It would be great if you guys would stop posting links to blogs and treating the info on them as fact. This link for instance the person specifically states that they've "read" that the attrition rate is 40-50%. You know where they probably read that? Likely this site and by posters who also don't know why they are talking about.

The attrition rate for my semester was ~25%. While certainly not the same as US schools, there is a huge difference between 25% and 50%.

It would be great if you guys would stop posting links to blogs and treating the info on them as fact. This link for instance the person specifically states that they've "read" that the attrition rate is 40-50%. You know where they probably read that? Likely this site and by posters who also don't know why they are talking about.

The attrition rate for my semester was ~25%. While certainly not the same as US schools, there is a huge difference between 25% and 50%.
It would be much easier to have this discussion if Ross was transparent.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be much easier to have this discussion if Ross was transparent.
I agree, but the fact that they're not doesn't give you carte blanche to just present every number you randomly read on the internet as fact or to just make stuff up entirely like certain (cat-loving) people do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, but the fact that they're not doesn't give you carte blanche to just present every number you randomly read on the internet as fact or to just make stuff up entirely like certain (cat-loving) people do.
Alright, from now on I'll just say, "somewhere between zero and 100% of Ross' students fail before competing their degree. I'd love to tell you how high this is, but all we know is that it is much higher than any of the other Big 4 Caribbean schools and they refuse to provide data on the matter."

Alright, from now on I'll just say, "somewhere between zero and 100% of Ross' students fail before competing their degree. I'd love to tell you how high this is, but all we know is that it is much higher than any of the other Big 4 Caribbean schools and they refuse to provide data on the matter."

The only Caribbean school that publishes actual attrition data is SGU and its somewhere around 15 percent which is still high considering 1 year there can set you back 100k in debt. These schools are a game of financial Russian roulette, I have my complaints about DO schools but those are in comparison to US MD schools, they are still much better than going to any offshore medical school.

I have my complaints about DO schools but those are in comparison to US MD schools, they are still much better than going to any offshore medical school.
hm... I don't think I can say that all DO schools are better than certain foreign schools.

hm... I don't think I can say that all DO schools are better than certain foreign schools.

W.r.t Matching, yes, yes you can.

This is about politics of matching - not about quality of education. Quality of education is a moot point if you can't match.

Many foreign schools have been training doctors for well before most NA schools even existed, yet they have lower odds of matching in NA due to political reasons.

This is about politics of matching - not about quality of education. Quality of education is a moot point if you can't match.

Many foreign schools have been training doctors for well before most NA schools even existed, yet they have lower odds of matching in NA due to political reasons.
I'd say: "If it's Liberty COM, go abroad instead."

Quality of education should be the utmost importance. Sadly politics doesn't agree.

Well being that they aren't transparent you can't always have the best data. However I have a source that is somewhat credible and the numbers are horrid.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/health...e-quality-of-offshore-medical-schools/1061189

4 year graduation rate? 30.6 percent. Six year? 66 percent. How many of that 66 percent get residency spots? (80%) How many cat/prelim?

It's very safe to assume that:

Chances you graduate in 4 years in the specialty of your choice is under 30 percent.

The chances you graduate at all and land a categorical residency? To be generous I will say its a coin flip.

I personally don't like betting (when factoring in six years and high cost of living) 300-500 k on a coin flip. Not to mention I will probably end up in a specialty I don't care for, somewhere I don't want to be, and don't want to spend years in a third world country. No thanks and I won't advise others to do so. Neither will @Goro or @Mad Jack .

Last edited:
^ Got anything more recent than 2009 with data from 2006?

All you guys have is attrition rates, SGU still produces more doctors and residents then any other individual US medical school.

There class size is also 8 times as large as most us schools.

Most of the debates about Caribbean med schools are usually pretty meaningless IMHO.

OF COURSE the attrition rate at these schools is going to be high when you're admitting folks with low GPAs AND MCATs. But for folks NOT in that category that are accepted, I'm guessing that those are the ones that go on to do well, match, and get on with life as a practicing MD.

I'd attend Ross or SGU with NO hesitation should I not get accepted MD/DO after 2 application cycles. Of course, I know about 5 or so folks who finished from Ross/SGU with lower premed stats than mine. And I figure if they can make it, I can too!

Most of the debates about Caribbean med schools are usually pretty meaningless IMHO.

OF COURSE the attrition rate at these schools is going to be high when you're admitting folks with low GPAs AND MCATs. But for folks NOT in that category that are accepted, I'm guessing that those are the ones that go on to do well, match, and get on with life as a practicing MD.

I'd attend Ross or SGU with NO hesitation should I not get accepted MD/DO after 2 application cycles. Of course, I know about 5 or so folks who finished from Ross/SGU with lower premed stats than mine. And I figure if they can make it, I can too!
The students that have failed out of my school were not the ones with the worst grades. They were the ones who couldn't deal with things emotionally. Nor have the ones that have excelled been the ones with fantastic grades. Don't ever think yourself above failure when you've yet to see what you're in for.

The students that have failed out of my school were not the ones with the worst grades. They were the ones who couldn't deal with things emotionally. Nor have the ones that have excelled been the ones with fantastic grades. Don't ever think yourself above failure when you've yet to see what you're in for.

This isn't about thinking I'm above failure, the fact is that many if not most, of the students who attend school in the Caribbean had NO BUSINESS in med school in the first place. And being unable to "deal emotionally" portends MUCH bigger issues than an ability to succeed in med school, it's called LIFE and it's FULL of emotional highs and lows!!

The people I know who "made it out" of Caribbean had a certain level of grit and determination that lead to their success!! So yes, it's not just about stats in determining who will be successful and who won't, good stats sure as hell don't hurt!

Last edited:
Yea things are getting worse. 76% non prelim match rate
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...medical-school-rejects-as-taxpayers-fund-debt

Even Ross itselfs considers there program a risk and considers attrition a problem

http://www.rossu.edu/news/RUSM-Responds-to-Bloomberg-Article.cfm?grp_id=294
I love how Ross is like, "we're cheaper than US schools because two semesters here is cheaper than two semesters there" while totally failing to mention that they have a 3 semester per year academic system lol.

I love how Ross is like, "we're cheaper than US schools because two semesters here is cheaper than two semesters there" while totally failing to mention that they have a 3 semester per year academic system lol.

Yep saw that also. Shady organization. Same story every time when someone tries and uses number to support a carribean corporation (not a school). Manipulate numbers and leave out the important information. They tell you there tuition is cheap and board pass rates are high. They neglect to tell you that they are leaving out an entire semester of tuition and that they won't let you take boards unless you pass a test first. They refuse to include numbers that tell the attrition rate which is all you need to know about this corporation

Last edited:
Didn't Ross and SGU have their best match ever this year? How does this show that it's becoming a worse option to go?

Didn't Ross and SGU have their best match ever this year? How does this show that it's becoming a worse option to go?
They had more students match,in volume, than ever before because their class sizes are larger than ever before. Neither has said a word about attrition rates, and Ross' proud match statistic counts prelim positions as success. Their categorical match rate is substantially lower than any US school, period, and their attrition is astoundingly higher.

Since Ross, like other Caribbean medical schools, doesn't have a teaching hospital, it pays hospitals stateside for students' clinical training, with wide variations in quality.
Most DO schools don't have a teaching hospital, either, and students rotate at sites that don't have residencies. From what I've gathered, it seems that the use of affiliated hospitals can be a "hit and miss" for clinical clerkships.

I've mostly agreed with your [unpopular] comments regarding Caribbean schools. However, after reading how things work at SGU (here: http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu/why-sgu-may-not-be-for-you), I am disgusted. This seems like a terrible environment for anybody to learn in. I previously thought SGU was arguably the best Caribbean medical school. Now I believe it to be a piece of garbage.

That said, students who graduate/match from SGU deserve to be respected. However, the operations of the school are essentially horrific. I hope Ross/AUC care about their students a little bit more (but, after reading that article, I'm not getting my hopes up).

They had more students match,in volume, than ever before because their class sizes are larger than ever before. Neither has said a word about attrition rates, and Ross' proud match statistic counts prelim positions as success. Their categorical match rate is substantially lower than any US school, period, and their attrition is astoundingly higher.

I see your point. I was lead to believe that not only did they have more matches but also more competitive matches as well this year.

I've mostly agreed with your [unpopular] comments regarding Caribbean schools. However, after reading how things work at SGU (here: http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu/why-sgu-may-not-be-for-you), I am disgusted. This seems like a terrible environment for anybody to learn in. I previously thought SGU was arguably the best Caribbean medical school. Now I believe it to be a piece of garbage.

That said, students who graduate/match from SGU deserve to be respected. However, the operations of the school are essentially horrific. I hope Ross/AUC care about their students a little bit more (but, after reading that article, I'm not getting my hopes up).

That blog was a really interesting read. It does not sound like a place conducive to learning at all. Looking through the comments I was shocked to see that AUC was recommended over SGU and that they were way more student centered. The administrative and testing policies described at SGU do not seem like they set students up for success at all. Would love to hear what some SGU students on this forum have to say about that guy's perspective. Had no idea it was that bad. I was lead to believe that the school was invested in your success and wanted you to do well. Blogs like that make me happy I decided to go to Australia instead.

@bedevilled ben thoughts on http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu/why-sgu-may-not-be-for-you?

Did they match? And if so are they happy with where they ended up?

That blog was a really interesting read. It does not sound like a place conducive to learning at all. Looking through the comments I was shocked to see that AUC was recommended over SGU and that they were way more student centered. The administrative and testing policies described at SGU do not seem like they set students up for success at all. Would love to hear what some SGU students on this forum have to say about that guy's perspective. Had no idea it was that bad. I was lead to believe that the school was invested in your success and wanted you to do well. Blogs like that make me happy I decided to go to Australia instead.

@bedevilled ben thoughts on http://www.tameersiddiqui.com/medical-school-at-sgu/why-sgu-may-not-be-for-you?
This is a good point. Although most (all?) Australian programs don't teach specifically to prepare students for the USMLE like the Caribbean schools do, you know you are getting your money's worth in regard to your education. As far as I know, there won't be devious grading policies and you won't be in a malignant environment, when compared to SGU.

This is a good point. Although most (all?) Australian programs don't teach specifically to prepare students for the USMLE like the Caribbean schools do, you know you are getting your money's worth in regard to your education. As far as I know, there won't be devious grading policies and you won't be in a malignant environment, when compared to SGU.
Carib aside, none of medical schools outside the US teaches to the USMLE. They have no reason to.

Carib schools don't train you to become a doctor; they train you to take the tests. Other international schools may not be USMLE oriented (Australian Medical Schools, Israel Medical Schools, and England/Ireland medical schools train you to become decent physicians), but they do train you better with their own complete facilities, faculties, and programs. They are basically US medical school quality or better except in a different country, their own country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carib aside, none of medical schools outside the US teaches to the USMLE. They have no reason to.

Carib schools don't train you to become a doctor; they train you to take the tests. Other international schools may not be USMLE oriented (Australian Medical Schools, Israel Medical Schools, and England/Ireland medical schools train you to become decent physicians), but they do train you better with their own complete facilities, faculties, and programs. They are basically US medical school quality or better except in a different country, their own country.

My question is Carib students usually take ~3-6 months to study for step 1 anyway. With a completion of any kind basic science program, isn't that an adequate amount of time for anyone to properly prep for step 1? say even from a European program?

This is one students opinion who failed out. I attended SGU went on to complete my first 2 years with honors and now about to finish my clinical's.. Have nothing but good memories of SGU....

Reactions: 2 users
This is one students opinion who failed out. I attended SGU went on to complete my first 2 years with honors and now about to finish my clinical's.. Have nothing but good memories of SGU....

What would you say the actual attrition is? What about the policies regarding failing one class you're automatically recommended for dismissal, and the needed pass rate going up to 75%. Can you speak to these points at all?

My question is Carib students usually take ~3-6 months to study for step 1 anyway. With a completion of any kind basic science program, isn't that an adequate amount of time for anyone to properly prep for step 1? say even from a European program?
AFAIK, some Carib schools let you start mid-year or in August like US schools, so not everyone gets longer prep time. And, what European program gives you 3-6 months off to study for Step 1? Please do a bit of research on that!

You would like to believe that prep time longer than 2-3 months results in better scores but it's actually pointless and may be counterproductive to drag it out; your scores will just be plateauing… or are even lower because you'll start forgetting details you've learned as time goes on.

What would you say the actual attrition is? What about the policies regarding failing one class you're automatically recommended for dismissal, and the needed pass rate going up to 75%. Can you speak to these points at all?
They give you the option of (deceling) requesting an extra semester to pass a course. This is medical school you shouldn't be failing any classes, look they give you a second shot if you cant make it into a MD or DO school. Attrition rates at SGU are about 10% and dropping not bad for a second chance school.....

I understand this student's frustration, but I feel his dismissal is falsely coloring his opinion of the school. After reading the entire post it's not clear to me specifically what his primary complaint is, and seems to basically boil down to "SGU is a tough, unfair medical school." While I would love for SGU's policies to be more transparent, the fact remains that SGU is a for-profit school, and their fundamental responsibility is to their investors. To that end, they run much like any other multi-million dollar business. They care about and invest in their students only insomuch as they keep their passing rates high. The students that acknowledge and accept that mentality from day 1, and adopt a business-like attitude with the school, will be in a much better position to succeed. No part of medical education is fair and equitable.

That said, the school certainly has plenty of problems. All of the points raised are valid (I chuckled at his accurate description of our poor anatomy sessions). People go to SGU with great expectations and when reality sets it, it can be quite jarring. Medical school in general is not a fun or enjoyable exercise, medical school at SGU even less so than others I think.

Also I saw several references to "60% attrition rate" on his post. I'm not sure where that number came from, but I assure you my class has nowhere near 60% attrition.