active and prior dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Findingoneself1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, i have been browsing these forums for a few months and i need to ask the dentist who have served a few questions.

1. do dentist who have served regret it or loved it. and why!!

2. Is the money really worth the bs

Also what is the monthly stipend?? thanks for your help, also i have served in the marine corps so i know about the bs

Members don't see this ad.

hello all, i have been browsing these forums for a few months and i need to ask the dentist who have served a few questions.

1. do dentist who have served regret it or loved it. and why!!

Since you are prior service, you probably already know the answer to this. Some do and some don't. As I'm sure you can remember, military life isn't for everyone.

Personally, I love it. I love my practice more than when I was in private practice. I get to work in a group practice environment. I have the opportunity to get additional training (which I did). I now have the opportunity to practice and teach.

2. Is the money really worth the bs

Everyone will also have a different opinion on this as well. Only you can make the decision for yourself. I think too much empahsis is placed on this area. I'm not saying the BS doesn't exist, but I don't think it's all that bad or so prevalent to affect my day-to-day life. Being prior service you can understand where some of the frustration is. For me, I think being prior service gave me a different outlook and I don't see most of the BS as anything to worry about.

Also what is the monthly stipend?? thanks for your help, also i have served in the marine corps so i know about the bs

Are you referring to base pay or the stipend for the HPSP program?

yes i wanted the info for the airforce scholarship because that is probably the only branch i would consider joining. So my question is how much does one get paid monthly while being in dental school and also being prior service do i have to serve another 4 years in irr or does my original irr time count

Also can i hear from others who did not enjoy their time and why, i only know from the enlisted point of view, not the officers