ACT Scores! Retake?

rachlovesmoony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I just got my ACT scores today (I took them for the first time at the beginning of the month) and got a 30 composite score without studying (math 26, english 29, science 33, and reading 31). Would you recommend retaking them?

Members don't see this ad.

I got scores similar to yours except I got a 23 on Math and got a composite of 29. We should just study math :D

And those scores are fine unless you have your eyes on the Ivies.

Depends on where you plan to go for your undergraduate career, but I would personally retake them if it was your first time with no studying (esp. with math as your lowest score).

Math is one of the easiest to study for, as a lot of it is predictable (know some geometry postulates and some algebra), so it's easy to boost that up to at least a 30 and raise your composite some. Additionally you could study for the other sections and raise those some too. You might've also had bad luck this time around (the inverse is also true), so you'd be surprised what you could score with some experience and rigorous studying under your belt.

I would retake for a higher score for more potential scholarship money, if for no other reason than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on where you plan to go for your undergraduate career, but I would personally retake them if it was your first time with no studying (esp. with math as your lowest score).

Math is one of the easiest to study for, as a lot of it is predictable (know some geometry postulates and some algebra), so it's easy to boost that up to at least a 30 and raise your composite some. Additionally you could study for the other sections and raise those some too. You might've also had bad luck this time around (the inverse is also true), so you'd be surprised what you could score with some experience and rigorous studying under your belt.

I would retake for a higher score for more potential scholarship money, if for no other reason than that.
I agree with with Crazyday. If you're not in it for the scholarship money, don't retake.

I am graduating from my University next year with a bachelor's degree in science. What did I get on my ACT? I got a 22 without studying and it was the average score back then, not sure about now. Regardless of my average ACT score, I still got into a decent university.

I would retake it just because if you do better on math it'll really help your score... not that it needs much help, mind you, but every point gives you a little bit more of an edge over the competition.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will retake them and practice the math section more. It actually isn't that I didn't know most of the problems, but that I have trouble within the time frame, I've always been a slow worker when it comes to math, which obviously affected my grade because I didn't get to some of the questions.

Practicing will help you a lot then... most of the stuff on there is the kind of work you did in algebra I and II and geometry you and don't really see too much of anymore, so reviewing it really helps.