ACGME Peds with only Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aventushead

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have problems matching with no step 1 but a good step 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends where you want to match. I didn't take either and had no problem matching an ACGME program. Some programs require step 1 so you will automatically be DQ from those programs. Apply broadly and you should have no issues assuming you have a solid app and comlex scores.

Applied this cycle, so no match yet, but I had average Step 2 (240s), no Step 1 and crappy COMLEX 1 and 2 (480s/470s), applied to ~40 programs in north east (all had at least 1 DO) and got 15 interviews, so I was pretty happy. A few places asked me why I didn't take Step 1, a few places said nice job on Step 2 and the rest didn't bring it up. Not much love from big academic centers, but that's not really what I was aiming for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied this cycle, so no match yet, but I had average Step 2 (240s), no Step 1 and crappy COMLEX 1 and 2 (480s/470s), applied to ~40 programs in north east (all had at least 1 DO) and got 15 interviews, so I was pretty happy. A few places asked me why I didn't take Step 1, a few places said nice job on Step 2 and the rest didn't bring it up. Not much love from big academic centers, but that's not really what I was aiming for.

15 interviews..... you matched somewhere. I hope you end up where you wanted. Now the waiting game occurs which is the hardest part!

@arewethereyet... how do you define "big" academic center and what type of programs did you interview at?

Ah yes, I was thinking of the places I applied to with fellows and lots of research like UConn, U Maryland, DuPont, Cleveland Clinic, Rainbow Babies, etc. Nothing too crazy. I interviewed at smaller places mostly with no fellows and some places with IMGs such as Tufts, Albany, Cooper, Baystate, Sinai at Baltimore, Inova, Stony Brook, etc.

Reactions: 1 user