ACGME ABFM maternity leave policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateverdiamond

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a baby first week of my intern year and took 8 weeks off. I had my second baby March of this year which is also my third year. Took another 8 weeks off. Took boards during that time and passed. Am I required to stay extra for the full 4 months? I was planning to stay only two more months.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a baby first week of my intern year and took 8 weeks off. I had my second baby March of this year which is also my third year. Took another 8 weeks off. Took boards during that time and passed. Am I required to stay extra for the full 4 months? I was planning to stay only two more months.
It depends. I haven't checked in a few years, but last time I did there wasn't a maternity policy as such. There was a generic "here's the maximum time you're allowed off before you have to extend your residency".

For the 2 months you took 3rd year, were you completely off those months or did you and your program set up some kind of home-based elective?

I was completely off those 2 months.

This is what ABFM says:

1657199130267.png

Reactions: 1 user
I was completely off those 2 months.

This is what ABFM says:

View attachment 356960
So I guess any extension is at the discretion of the PD. Go talk to them and see what they expect of you.

Its also worth noting that this is the ABFM's policy, ACGME might have a different one.