Accidental mistake that led to HIPAA breach

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southwestpremed06

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hospitals have zero chill when it comes to intentional HIPAA breaches, ie intentionally accessing the chart of a high profile patient or your family member. While they may tell you to be more careful, make you do some training, etc, you’re not going to get fired for this.

If they were seriously considering such disciplinary action such as firing you I suspect you would already have heard from your PD by now and/or you would have been suspended pending an investigation.

Most important advice: don’t lie, cover up, or downplay what happened. Own your responsibility. Say you’re going to be more careful. At the same time don’t make it something bigger than it is—you printed an extra copy by honest mistake and it wound up in the hands of one other patient, who immediately turned it into the clinic.

Reactions: 5 users
It sounds like an MA accidentally gave the letter to a different patient, not you. That was not within your control. While you do have to be cautious about patient info, most people would likely think the letter didn't print. Even if you asked around the office to check before printing a 2nd copy, no one would've found it. It's not your fault and you aren't going to get fired.

Reactions: 6 users
You’re fine. If anyone is at fault here, it’s the MA who didn’t look through a pile of papers to make sure they weren’t giving someone else’s PHI to a random patient…

This sort of thing happens alllllllll the time. Sending out these letters is what keeps the people in the privacy office employed. You weren't the only employee at the hospital who did something similar that day, guaranteed. It'll happen again to you actually, almost certainly, probably during residency. Even more scarily, statistically, you'll make BIGGER mistakes that actually harm people! This is the last you will hear of this one, however, from your PD or otherwise. As others have said, they care about intentional breaches (if at all), eg looking up Whitney Houston after she is admitted to your hospital following her OD. I'm a little more concerned that you feel so insecure/unneeded at your residency that the thought of them firing you would even cross your mind related to something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There's usually a compliance committee that goes over stuff like this since it happens all the time. I'm on one for our hospital and it always results in education and not firing.

Oh yeah this is a nothingburger. The hospital by law has the notify the patient and they may make you do a module or something, but this isn’t what gets people fired. The hospital does have to show that they made some effort to prevent future occurrences so you and the MA might get assigned a module or something.

Firing usually happens with someone intentionally looking at a chart they shouldn’t be - like celebrities or coworkers or family. It also happens when people post about patients on social media - that seems a more common issue in recent years.

Next time DELEGATE some staff member to print out that letter.

Not true at my program. We're treated like attendings in our clinic, as we should...

Must be nice.

In both residency and fellowship, I wasn’t able to delegate jack **** to anyone…and I think that’s a pretty common theme in many training programs. You are there primarily to be cheap labor, and even at “elite” places, they don’t want you to forget that.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah, delegation is not common in residency. You are generally the one being delegated to, not doing the delegation. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Must be nice.

In both residency and fellowship, I wasn’t able to delegate jack **** to anyone…and I think that’s a pretty common theme in many training programs. You are there primarily to be cheap labor, and even at “elite” places, they don’t want you to forget that.
Oh trust me, they have other ways of staying on brand. But if you're going to ask residents to run a busy, customer service driven clinic, you better be set up to handle it. That means having support staff who residents can delegate to. Either way, I large part of it comes to sharing resources. I do think its ultimately up to you to explore your resources and seek help, there's nothing in your residency contract that stipulates you can't use support staff. Either way, I fully understand my program is the exception. I think a lot of community and many academic programs have a "residency clinic".