Accepted!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sage75

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally got accepted to University of Szeged in Hungary! I found out on monday and then I got accepted from St. Matthew's University on Grand Cayman a day and a half later! I feel because of availability of loans, cost of living, family history, and other factors, I will be attending Szeged. That is of course, if I get my passport within a week. I applied a long time ago and still have not received it and I have to have things sent in by ooh ...next Wed.! And then leave by the end of the month to get there for orientation! AARGH! AAAHH... the red tape of the US gov't.

Anyways, enough of my rantings! I'm estatic! Wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck. I'd personally rethink it a little more before you make your final decision. Remember the pros and cons of each:

Szeged Pros:
- cheaper tuition and living expenses
- California approval
- Small city setting, in the middle of Europe

Szeged Cons:
- high attrition rates, most likely worse than Caribbean schools
- oral exams which lead to very subjective grading (prof can fail you on a whim)
- 6 years long
- not geared towards USMLE
- clinicals done in Hungary, not the US; you make less connections, which hurt when it comes time to get a residency
- Since it's a smaller city, there will be less English speakers
- no match lists made available
- IMG stigma

St. Matthew's Pros:
- 4 years long
- Nice location
- USMLE-based curriculum
- can go online and check match lists for past few years
- clinicals all done in the US, so you make connections and get valuable experience

St. Matthew's Cons:
- expensive tuition and living costs
- not allowed to practice or train in California
- IMG stigma

Financially, I don't think either choice is far off from each other. When you factor 6 years in Hungary vs 4 years in the Cayman's/US, it's more expensive to go to SMU. However, not by a huge amount.

I'd personally reccomend you reconsider the Caribbean if you want to come back to the US. Both seem to be good schools, though, so you won't necessarily be making a bad decision either way.

sage75,

you're making the right decision going to hungary!! SMU is too expensive. szeged is the cheapest out of the hungarian universities. i disagree with the previous post. you CAN do your 6th year the US. high attrition rates are due to students NOT studying. so, if you plan on partying while in med school. then, STAY AWAY from ANY hungarian school. btw, my personal physician before i even heard of hungary was a graduate of univ. of szeged. if you ask me, i think if the choice is between an european grad and a caribbean grad i would choose a european grad in a heartbeat. espeically if its one from SMU.

however, if the choice was between sgu, ross, or auc. that would be a different story. because all these schools have great reputations in the US for caribbean schools. but, since this is between SMU and szeged, YOU'RE MAKING THE RIGHT DECISION!! good luck!:)

Good luck. I'd personally rethink it a little more before you make your final decision. Remember the pros and cons of each:

Szeged Pros:
- cheaper tuition and living expenses
- California approval
- Small city setting, in the middle of Europe

Szeged Cons:
- high attrition rates, most likely worse than Caribbean schools
- oral exams which lead to very subjective grading (prof can fail you on a whim)
- 6 years long
- not geared towards USMLE
- clinicals done in Hungary, not the US; you make less connections, which hurt when it comes time to get a residency
- Since it's a smaller city, there will be less English speakers
- no match lists made available
- IMG stigma

St. Matthew's Pros:
- 4 years long
- Nice location
- USMLE-based curriculum
- can go online and check match lists for past few years
- clinicals all done in the US, so you make connections and get valuable experience

St. Matthew's Cons:
- expensive tuition and living costs
- not allowed to practice or train in California
- IMG stigma

Financially, I don't think either choice is far off from each other. When you factor 6 years in Hungary vs 4 years in the Cayman's/US, it's more expensive to go to SMU. However, not by a huge amount.

I'd personally reccomend you reconsider the Caribbean if you want to come back to the US. Both seem to be good schools, though, so you won't necessarily be making a bad decision either way.