Accepted to Georgetown SMP but have job now -- need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMP now or later?

• SMP now!

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • SMP later!

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Neither dummy, listen up to my post

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

hoyasaxa17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today that I was accepted to the Georgetown SMP for Fall 2011. I also was given the opportunity to take a full-time job as a data coordinator in clinical oncology research (but also with some other responsibilities involving patient interaction like E.K.Gs and lab draws) with what I consider to be excellent pay for me right now. I have started at the job and planned to work for a year and do the SMP next year before I found out I had been accepted.

I had applied fairly late and had just been through the process of applying to (and being rejected from) med school and was not completely confident I would be accepted to SMP so I thought it was a good idea to take the job. I didn’t even have all of my recommendations in when I accepted the job offer.

Now, I am under no commitment to stay at my job for a set period, there’s no contract or anything but I would basically be leaving them trying to find and train a replacement for me within a month and probably ending any shot I would have to work there again later. The guy I am replacing got in to GW med and says this job was a big help for him.

The question is whether or not to do the SMP now and work later or work now and then re-apply for the SMP for next year. I have a GPA of 3.2, Science 3.22, and MCAT 37Q. My extracurriculars are probably below average for accepted med students, which is why even if I did the SMP now I would not want to apply to med school for 2012 but instead for 2013, not to mention that I would be late in the process if I started applying now.

Things to consider:
-if I did SMP now, I would be able to get recommendations from SMP Professors and I would have my grades all in by the time I started applying to med school

-my job is wonderful and I think the perfect thing to add to my resume, would I be able to get a similar job again after completing SMP? I would have a masters degree, but I feel like I got this job on basically a lucky break and is the masters in physiology appealing at all to employers?

-any possibility that I might be diminishing my chances of getting into Georgetown SMP again next year by declining this year

-working now gives me a break from school (since I just graduated) and gives me time and money to pursue some other interests (mainly investing) and lets me “get out into the real world” and experience that side of things

-SMP now gives an immediate and powerful boost (if I do well in it) to my med school application which I can supplement with other things while I’m applying whereas working now gives my application a lesser boost and entails admissions committees waiting on my grades

-working now gives me the chance to get a recommendation from someone at work. I’m working under a brilliant oncologist who has been a prominent researcher for many years and a recommendation from him or even another doctor would be great. My recommendations were weak last time I applied. Either way they will be better this time around. SMP now means recommendations from SMP professors and for now unknown outside recommendation. SMP later means good recommendations from undergrad professors plus fantastic outside recommendation

-I was accepted to both Georgetown and Cincinnati SMP’s before this job so I feel confident I will get in again if declining now doesn’t affect my future chances

Also I went to Georgetown for undergrad if that has any bearing on this decision.

Thank you if you got through all of that! I need advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know your GPA is low(er) but it is above the normal "cut-off" and some schools don't even use a cut off at all. How does the rest of your app look? You may not even need an SMP with that MCAT score. I can't say for sure what is going to work for you but I would make sure I had all my other bases covered, work the job, if you want to prove yourself academically maybe take a few upper level sciences and maintain a 4.0. Those programs are super expensive aren't they??

The two things that needs improvement is your GPA and your ECs (depending on what you believe is below average). With a good performance with a SMP, you can balance out the 3.2 GPA you had in UG, especially with a 37 on your MCAT. The addition of improved LORs, your app for 2013 should be very strong. In the meantime, you can improve your ECs in the next one to two years. Honestly, I believe you would be able to martriculate into a med school if you do well in your SMP, get improved LORs, some more ECs, and apply early.

Anyways, just imo, the choice is ultimately up to you. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I know your GPA is low(er) but it is above the normal "cut-off" and some schools don't even use a cut off at all. How does the rest of your app look? You may not even need an SMP with that MCAT score. I can't say for sure what is going to work for you but I would make sure I had all my other bases covered, work the job, if you want to prove yourself academically maybe take a few upper level sciences and maintain a 4.0. Those programs are super expensive aren't they??

Thanks for your reply. Although my GPA is above the stated "cut-off" it seems like there is an informal cut-off just based on the competitiveness of the applicant pool at around 3.5, am I wrong? I'm also a male and part of a far far far ORM, see if you can guess which one :) and my family is well-off and committed to helping me financially through school so the money is not too important (I am lucky in this respect). I know this hurts me a lot application-wise too (race, gender, and economic status) so I feel I need to do something to improve my academic standing. Is SMP not the best option for that? Sadly there isn't a good option in my area in terms of taking advanced science courses, especially since I'm working full-time during the day.

After reading throughout these forums I realize my EC's are much worse than I thought. I have 25 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering in a hospital, now this job, and nothing else medically related.

I applied to 25+ schools, was only interviewed at my state school (which according to MSAR interviews >95% of in-state applicants), and was rejected outright so I have very little confidence that my MCAT score is really that important but maybe my application was just too awful in every other respect for it to matter.

Whether or not I decide to do SMP or work for the next year I'm going to improve my EC's at the same time by volunteering in a hospital or hospice so I'll have that as well. I'm generally feeling good about my application for 2013 if I can do the SMP and improve my EC's. My dilemma is whether to go for drastic EC improvement first or drastic academic improvement first.

The two things that needs improvement is your GPA and your ECs (depending on what you believe is below average). With a good performance with a SMP, you can balance out the 3.2 GPA you had in UG, especially with a 37 on your MCAT. The addition of improved LORs, your app for 2013 should be very strong. In the meantime, you can improve your ECs in the next one to two years. Honestly, I believe you would be able to martriculate into a med school if you do well in your SMP, get improved LORs, some more ECs, and apply early.

Anyways, just imo, the choice is ultimately up to you. :D

Thank you, but based on my application experience I do not feel confident enough to re-apply for 2012. Doing SMP, getting letters, doing more EC's, and doing AMCAS/secondaries all at the same time would be way too stressful and not worth it imo based on how confident I would feel.

Thanks for your reply. Although my GPA is above the stated "cut-off" it seems like there is an informal cut-off just based on the competitiveness of the applicant pool at around 3.5, am I wrong? I'm also a male and part of a far far far ORM, see if you can guess which one :) and my family is well-off and committed to helping me financially through school so the money is not too important (I am lucky in this respect). I know this hurts me a lot application-wise too (race, gender, and economic status) so I feel I need to do something to improve my academic standing. Is SMP not the best option for that? Sadly there isn't a good option in my area in terms of taking advanced science courses, especially since I'm working full-time during the day.

After reading throughout these forums I realize my EC's are much worse than I thought. I have 25 hours shadowing, 100 hours volunteering in a hospital, now this job, and nothing else medically related.

I applied to 25+ schools, was only interviewed at my state school (which according to MSAR interviews >95% of in-state applicants), and was rejected outright so I have very little confidence that my MCAT score is really that important but maybe my application was just too awful in every other respect for it to matter.

Whether or not I decide to do SMP or work for the next year I'm going to improve my EC's at the same time by volunteering in a hospital or hospice so I'll have that as well. I'm generally feeling good about my application for 2013 if I can do the SMP and improve my EC's. My dilemma is whether to go for drastic EC improvement first or drastic academic improvement first.

Well you seem to be in the perfect position for a SMP then, good luck :)

That's a difficult decision to make and ultimately you'll have to decide what is best for you. I spent 3 years applying to medical school (got in on 3rd try) so I can relate to you in a way. But please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I personally think that both of those deficiencies in your application (low gpa and lack of meaningful EC) need to be remedied before you can have a REALLY strong application for allopathic schools. However, with that mcat you could likely get into a DO school. This may be a good option for you and I recommend at least considering it.

If you are dead set on going the MD route, I guess I would do the SMP this year, then find a similar type a job for 2012/2013 and apply for EC of 2013. That way you could at least get your SMP grades and LORs ready to go before applying. Then around secondary time you could be starting the job and tell your interviewers all about it. I know it would suck to let go this awesome job offer you got but i bet you could find something sweet to do next year.

The more I think about it though, I guess if you want to give DO schools a shot I may switch the order around. Take the job and apply to lots of DO schools right now. See what happens. If you don't get in, do the SMP and try again.

IDK, just my 2 cents. Definitely a tough call.

If your plan is to apply next summer (2012) for 2013 matriculation then definitely go with the SMP. You would be starting the SMP in the Fall of 2011 and complete by the summer of 2012 - in time to apply to medical schools with all of your grades from the SMP. You can then work until med matriculation in 2013.

If you decide to work this year, then your not going to be able to start the SMP until the Fall of 2012. Therefore you'd be applying in the summer of 2012 without the leverage of the SMP. You'd basically have the same application again in terms of GPA.

It's a no-brainer, if medical school in 2013 is your goal - do the SMP. If getting some work experience and paid for a while is your goal - then take the job and hold off on applying to medical school until 2014, but first make sure you can defer the SMP for a year.

That's a difficult decision to make and ultimately you'll have to decide what is best for you. I spent 3 years applying to medical school (got in on 3rd try) so I can relate to you in a way. But please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

I personally think that both of those deficiencies in your application (low gpa and lack of meaningful EC) need to be remedied before you can have a REALLY strong application for allopathic schools. However, with that mcat you could likely get into a DO school. This may be a good option for you and I recommend at least considering it.

If you are dead set on going the MD route, I guess I would do the SMP this year, then find a similar type a job for 2012/2013 and apply for EC of 2013. That way you could at least get your SMP grades and LORs ready to go before applying. Then around secondary time you could be starting the job and tell your interviewers all about it. I know it would suck to let go this awesome job offer you got but i bet you could find something sweet to do next year.

The more I think about it though, I guess if you want to give DO schools a shot I may switch the order around. Take the job and apply to lots of DO schools right now. See what happens. If you don't get in, do the SMP and try again.

IDK, just my 2 cents. Definitely a tough call.

I agree I need to address both of those deficiencies before I can have a strong application. I thought I was dead set on MD but that's more of a family pressure issue and they've definitely lowered their expectations for me so I could talk it over with them and see what they think about DO.

Thanks for your advice. I really like your idea of applying to DO schools now while working. I guess I'll do some research on DO schools and see if I have a good chance because if I do that would be a great way to save money and time by avoiding the SMP altogether. Of course, then I'd be forgoing the more respected designation of MD, I guess I have to decide whether that matters to me enough.

If your plan is to apply next summer (2012) for 2013 matriculation then definitely go with the SMP. You would be starting the SMP in the Fall of 2011 and complete by the summer of 2012 - in time to apply to medical schools with all of your grades from the SMP. You can then work until med matriculation in 2013.

If you decide to work this year, then your not going to be able to start the SMP until the Fall of 2012. Therefore you'd be applying in the summer of 2012 without the leverage of the SMP. You'd basically have the same application again in terms of GPA.

It's a no-brainer, if medical school in 2013 is your goal - do the SMP. If getting some work experience and paid for a while is your goal - then take the job and hold off on applying to medical school until 2014, but first make sure you can defer the SMP for a year.

You're right I would have the same GPA on my initial application but SMPs are built for students who are applying to med school while doing the masters. The classes start in the second week of August and grades will come in and be sent off to med schools quickly. Of course, it would still be preferable to already have ALL of the grades in by the summer and be able to get recommendations from those professors. Then again if I'm unsuccessful for 2013 I could always apply again in 2014.

Bah this is why this is such a tough decision for me.

I think what I'm getting here is that it would be better overall for my AMCAS to do the SMP first, assuming I can get a job/experience similar to the one I have now after graduation and also get an experience from which I can get my non-prof rec during the program.

Is that too much to assume to give up a great job and (pretty much) guaranteed outside rec now along with a very high probability of getting into an SMP next year? (Cincinnati does not offer deferral but assured me that my application would be reviewed equally well next year, still waiting to hear back from Georgetown about that)

Found out that Georgetown does offer me the choice of deferring for one year. How significant is this to my decision?

Here's my input. I graduated from the GU SMP and all of my closest friends from there are in allopathic schools including myself (the last one finally got in after 2 years). There are 9 of us and 8 of us all got in sometime during SMP. We all accumulated debt from that one year of school that we will have to pay back eventually. In retrospect, it was worth it because we all got in.

If it doesn't work out for you right away, it's not terribly difficult to get a research gig right out of SMP. I've heard of people who landed jobs relatively quickly while applying for med school.

In the end it is all up to you. I just want to let you know first hand that the SMP helps a great deal.

You're right I would have the same GPA on my initial application but SMPs are built for students who are applying to med school while doing the masters. The classes start in the second week of August and grades will come in and be sent off to med schools quickly.

Wait. Let me get this straight, courses start in August and you want to apply in 2012 for 2013 matriculation, right? So if you decide to defer the SMP, than you wouldn't be starting the SMP until August of 2012, right? Application season for 2012 begins in June. I am not sure how SMP's are structured, but I would imagine that it would take at least a month, if not more, before you have any grades for the SMP right? That would put you at earliest - well into september of that application year before you are considered complete at the schools that are waiting for those grades. Correct me if I am wrong, I am not that familiar with SMPs, but I would imagine med courses to be at least 4 weeks, if not longer.

You would therefore already be at a disadvantage by the mere fact that your application is going to be on the late side. A disadvantage that you don't want to be in since your undergrad GPA is already on the lower side of average. True, you may have some SMP courses to show for it - but realistically how many courses of the medical school classes in the SMP are you going to have completed in the first month? Probably 2 at most, which probably won't give you the boost your looking for from an SMP.

I would def do the SMP first, I believe the acceptance rate out of an SMP is much higher after completion of the SMP than during it. Don't worry about the job - trust me, if your in the DC area there are plenty of other jobs in the sciences. Additionally, if you get accepted the next summer out of the SMP then it won't really matter how medically related your job is going to be and you can go for even higher paying positions in industry w/ the masters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my input. I graduated from the GU SMP and all of my closest friends from there are in allopathic schools including myself (the last one finally got in after 2 years). There are 9 of us and 8 of us all got in sometime during SMP. We all accumulated debt from that one year of school that we will have to pay back eventually. In retrospect, it was worth it because we all got in.

If it doesn't work out for you right away, it's not terribly difficult to get a research gig right out of SMP. I've heard of people who landed jobs relatively quickly while applying for med school.

In the end it is all up to you. I just want to let you know first hand that the SMP helps a great deal.

Thanks a lot, this post was very helpful

Wait. Let me get this straight, courses start in August and you want to apply in 2012 for 2013 matriculation, right? So if you decide to defer the SMP, than you wouldn't be starting the SMP until August of 2012, right? Application season for 2012 begins in June. I am not sure how SMP's are structured, but I would imagine that it would take at least a month, if not more, before you have any grades for the SMP right? That would put you at earliest - well into september of that application year before you are considered complete at the schools that are waiting for those grades. Correct me if I am wrong, I am not that familiar with SMPs, but I would imagine med courses to be at least 4 weeks, if not longer.

You would therefore already be at a disadvantage by the mere fact that your application is going to be on the late side. A disadvantage that you don't want to be in since your undergrad GPA is already on the lower side of average. True, you may have some SMP courses to show for it - but realistically how many courses of the medical school classes in the SMP are you going to have completed in the first month? Probably 2 at most, which probably won't give you the boost your looking for from an SMP.

I would def do the SMP first, I believe the acceptance rate out of an SMP is much higher after completion of the SMP than during it. Don't worry about the job - trust me, if your in the DC area there are plenty of other jobs in the sciences. Additionally, if you get accepted the next summer out of the SMP then it won't really matter how medically related your job is going to be and you can go for even higher paying positions in industry w/ the masters.

It bothers me that officials at SMP are advising (feels like pressuring almost) that I apply for med school during it even now. If I'm unsuccessful I feel like that would ruin any momentum I would gain from a good SMP performance since adcoms are looking for "what's different" with re-applicants. Am I too worried about my weak ECs? I wholly agree that applying after SMP would be preferable.

Quote from SMP website

"If you are accepted, and are going to attend the SMP, we strongly encourage you to apply for medical school (for August 2012 matriculation), before you come to orientation. The program faculty and staff will be working with you during the application cycle, but you should have your AMCAS application in since you are actively working to improve your application by attending the SMP. Please see our AMCAS page for additional information. There will be very few exceptions, and if you are not applying this year (expired MCAT, not positive you want to go to medical school), please contact us prior to orientation. The reasons should NOT include your undergraduate academic record or MCAT...you would not be accepted to the SMP if we didn't think you had great potential."

Idk what to make of that honestly. What do you think nabeel?

It bothers me that officials at SMP are advising (feels like pressuring almost) that I apply for med school during it even now. If I'm unsuccessful I feel like that would ruin any momentum I would gain from a good SMP performance since adcoms are looking for "what's different" with re-applicants. Am I too worried about my weak ECs? I wholly agree that applying after SMP would be preferable.

Quote from SMP website

"If you are accepted, and are going to attend the SMP, we strongly encourage you to apply for medical school (for August 2012 matriculation), before you come to orientation. The program faculty and staff will be working with you during the application cycle, but you should have your AMCAS application in since you are actively working to improve your application by attending the SMP. Please see our AMCAS page for additional information. There will be very few exceptions, and if you are not applying this year (expired MCAT, not positive you want to go to medical school), please contact us prior to orientation. The reasons should NOT include your undergraduate academic record or MCAT...you would not be accepted to the SMP if we didn't think you had great potential."

Idk what to make of that honestly. What do you think nabeel?

I could be wrong, but I think that statement applies more towards applicants that want to start medical school immediately following the SMP without a gap year. I think the majority, or a good number of students apply to the SMP during their application year to medical school and then end up at the SMP after they get rejected from medical schools. Therefore, the SMP feels that if they got accepted to the SMP, they are close to acceptable to med school as well. So to avoid delaying those applicants by more than a year, the SMP strongly encourages the submission of the primary prior to starting that summer, since they realize that there isn't going to be time to do so while in the program. They then update schools with their progress during the program in a timely manner to prevent any further delay's in application. I guess they figure that a Sept-Oct completion date isn't late enough to not get in somewhere, and I am sure there are applicants that still manage to get in regardless, and that overall a late app is better than taking an extra gap year and pushing those applicants medical school matriculation timeline back another year.

However, in your case, since I assume you haven't submitted your primary this year, and probably don't intend on doing so, your looking at an additional year regardless. So for you it makes more sense to complete the SMP this year, therefore addressing your GPA deficiency in full, and applying super early next year w/ a masters and all your guns blazing.

I wouldn't want to take the chance on working this year, doing the SMP next year, and being a later applicant, only to possibly have schools pass on your application because they don't feel that you've done enough SMP work yet to prove yourself yet. It would be a gamble that isn't necessary and could cost you another year, more money, and a third application attempt. Not worth it, if you ask me.

Edit: Since you have access to the SMP advisors, I would take advantage of them and at the very least determine roughly when most applicants are complete during the year that they apply. It should give you further insight into their process.

Last edited:
@OP: With your stats, you can totally make it into D.O. school.

SMP now, dummy.

And get clinical experiences during the school year.

Actually, your MCAT was higher than mine, so I shouldn't call you a dummy :p

Remember that most schools won't take an MCAT score more than 3 years old.

I would say avoid the debt and apply to DO schools. Just to pay 50k and not make money just to raise up your GPA sounds insane. Also, you would loose out on your research salary. And who is it to say your GPA will improve?

SMP alumni here.

In hindsight I would have went to a program with higher linkage. I did the program and matriculated at another school, but BARELY. Got off the waitlist on June15th (moving day).

Getting into med school these days is getting tougher. SMP helps a lot and it greatly prepares you for the long road to come.

Good luck, pm if you have questions

I know people are discouraging you from deferring, but honestly one year is a small price to pay for a top-notch job like that. And don't listen to the DO talk, with a frickin 37, really people?! I had a 2.85 uGPA, 32 MCAT, and a 2-year DIY postbac concurrent with extensive volunteering at a homeless clinic got me into an MD school... early decision... for next August. Meaning another year to kill; point being, it ain't jail time and you won't regret it down the line.

Now if you think you can find a comparable job then go ahead and quit, but it sounds like it wasn't easy to get. Likewise, Georgetown SMP is not easy, and if you decline the spot you may be blacklisted, who knows. imo:

1) If Georgetown lets you defer, do it, work for a year.
2) If they don't, start the SMP, figure the rest out later.

With your crazy good MCAT a strong SMP will get you in at several schools, especially Georgetown. But I think that job could take you from Mild Fixer-Upper to Really Strong Applicant and open doors for you.

I was in a similar position as you, but my GPA was 3.5-3.6 and sGPA was 3.4-3.5, and my MCAT was lower, but >30. And I have pretty stellar ECs.

I got a good job, and was accepted to an SMP. I just dropped my SMP, essentially wasting 16,000. I've been accepted to 3 schools, and currently have interviews at 2 more. I took a 2 week trip to Europe, and now I'll be working full-time instead of part time.

Because your application has strong points, I would not waste my money on an SMP. You have very good chances of getting in with that MCAT. I would start doing some good ECs right now, work, and apply this coming cycle. You could even take a class on the side if you wanted. This way, you'll be spending less, and likely getting the same result. And make sure you're upfront about those poor grades/why you got them.

I would wait until you don't get accepted with your 37 to do the SMP.

I was in a similar position as you, but my GPA was 3.5-3.6 and sGPA was 3.4-3.5, and my MCAT was lower, but >30. And I have pretty stellar ECs.

I got a good job, and was accepted to an SMP. I just dropped my SMP, essentially wasting 16,000. I've been accepted to 3 schools, and currently have interviews at 2 more. I took a 2 week trip to Europe, and now I'll be working full-time instead of part time.

Because your application has strong points, I would not waste my money on an SMP. You have very good chances of getting in with that MCAT. I would start doing some good ECs right now, work, and apply this coming cycle. You could even take a class on the side if you wanted. This way, you'll be spending less, and likely getting the same result. And make sure you're upfront about those poor grades/why you got them.

I would wait until you don't get accepted with your 37 to do the SMP.

I agree with this. I have 3.4GPA, 30 MCAT and not even a balanced score. Nontrad, working full time while taking prereqs. Applied to one school and got accepted. I think I got very strong PS, and I absolutely made sure my application (EC's section and everywhere else) was flawless.

I think you should try taking a few upper division courses to establish upward trend. Start volunteering, shadowing, and accumulate EC's NOW!!! Start finding sources for LOR's now. Apply EARLY and broadly. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere with your MCAT score.