Accepted to AZCOM and CCOM; I appreciate all input.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThoughtsInChaos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to MWU-CCOM/AZCOM. I am a California native, and I definitely plan on coming back to CA for residency and eventually working here as a physician.

I would be interested in EM/Trauma or Gen Surgery/Neurosurgery, but none of these are set in stone even 1%.

With that said, some of the main reasons I am debating which of these two schools to go to are the rotation sites and board scores (as I am planning on taking the UMSLE). I am continuously hearing from many that CCOM has the better rotation sites, however I am wondering if this is such a significant factor considering what I would like to be doing. Can any current/former AZCOM students comment on this? I would like to gain the proper exposure and experience necessary so that when I apply for residencies I will be a competitive applicant. I understand that USMLE-1 is a huge factor for this as well and this will solely be dependent on me, but I want to consider the two schools as well.

With all of that said, I have a small list of questions that, if anyone has experiences or the time to answer I would greatly appreciate (in addition to my concerns above).

1. USMLE Exam
- Does anyone know the relative board scores between the two schools?

2. Matching
- I understand that many DOs go into FM/IM, however can anyone comment as to which school would allow me to be more competitive for west-coast residencies?

3. Clinical Rotations: If anyone can comment for either school, I'd appreciate it.

4. Research opportunities

5. Preparation for Boards

I understand I am asking for a great deal of information, however I appreciate all and any help!

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

CCOM has better rotations, you got that right, but that doesn't mean AZCOM is lacking. The Phoenix metropolitan rotation sites are very good, I have couple of friends at AZCOM and they didn't have any complains so far in regards to rotation sites. The only negative thing I've heard is that the rotation sites in cali are not as good as the ones in Arizona. Same price tag for both schools, both are speciality friendly so it's really up to you whether you like to live in an oven or a fridge.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ccom was the better school when I was applying 7 years ago.

I know it may not be a factor you're considering, but despite the identical tuition costs, Downer's Grove has a much higher cost of living than Glendale. I'd still say CCOM is the better school and I've heard good things about their rotations, but I don't know much else about either school.

Rotations. Azcom had some problems with rotations back then. How much does it actually matter? I don't know. You can always supplement your education with elective rotations at university hospitals. Also your medical school education is really just the beginning. You really learn how to be a doctor as a resident.

AZCOM student here, I personally would think that CCOM is more competitive to get in. I submitted the same app to both schools, CCOM rejected me without ii, AZCOM took me. I personally am happy with our preclinical education thus far, but I don't know much about the rotations. The matching list looks pretty solid in both schools tho. Oh and btw, AZCOM has rotation spots in Chicago (for like 15 people or so?), so you can still use that resource if you really want to.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I am fortunate enough to have been accepted to MWU-CCOM/AZCOM. I am a California native, and I definitely plan on coming back to CA for residency and eventually working here as a physician.

I would be interested in EM/Trauma or Gen Surgery/Neurosurgery, but none of these are set in stone even 1%.

With that said, some of the main reasons I am debating which of these two schools to go to are the rotation sites and board scores (as I am planning on taking the UMSLE). I am continuously hearing from many that CCOM has the better rotation sites, however I am wondering if this is such a significant factor considering what I would like to be doing. Can any current/former AZCOM students comment on this? I would like to gain the proper exposure and experience necessary so that when I apply for residencies I will be a competitive applicant. I understand that USMLE-1 is a huge factor for this as well and this will solely be dependent on me, but I want to consider the two schools as well.

With all of that said, I have a small list of questions that, if anyone has experiences or the time to answer I would greatly appreciate (in addition to my concerns above).

1. USMLE Exam

2. Matching
- I understand that many DOs go into FM/IM, however can anyone comment as to which school would allow me to be more competitive for west-coast residencies?

3. Clinical Rotations: If anyone can comment for either school, I'd appreciate it.

I understand I am asking for a great deal of information, however I appreciate all and any help!

Thank you.

Its the same school its just that CCOM is the older campus AZCOM is the newer branch campus. Unless you wanted to be close to home or want to take advantage of the california rotation spots CCOM is better since its older and has more experience, reputation, alumni etc

Hello everyone,

1. USMLE Exam

2. Matching

Thank you.

Hello,

Can I ask which school you chose to go to and some reflections about your experience there? I am also a California native, so it would be great to hear your input!

Thank you!

Hello,

Can I ask which school you chose to go to and some reflections about your experience there? I am also a California native, so it would be great to hear your input!

Thank you!

He chose AZCOM and He's not active on SDN (he's my friend). From what he told me he says he likes it so far, but the material itself is a lot (as expected).

AZCOM doesn't have the same quality of rotations as CCOM, but it has a lower cost of living, warm weather, and a pretty decent record of matching people to Cali residencies. I personally would take AZ over CCOM any day,