Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
symphonyinc11-
you may want to call them if your award wasn't in your funding package. I just spoke to someone at the office and my lower amount was an error (the full amount should have been split between the semesters.) Your award should be listed as part of your package.

Hopkins and UNC, you're killing me...anybody heard from either of them? (esp. HBHE @ UNC or International Health @ Hopkins?)

Also, I checked my Columbia info. My merit scholarship didn't show up on there, just loans, so I'm assuming if a scholarship did show up with a different amount than the one on the letter it is an additional scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, just FYI for those who were waiting to hear from Emory on Merit awards, etc. I got an email today with the monthly newsletter...

Does anyone know if this newsletter goes out to ALL applicants, or just those who have been admitted? I haven't heard from Emory yet but I got this email. Yep, I'm resorting to reading (email) entrails to see if I can divine my admissions status.

Last edited:
injust: I also have not heard from Tulane. My app was designated on SOPHAS 2/12/11, and mailed 2/16/11. A friend of mine applied a couple days later and heard back early last week, so I was wondering the same thing as you. You're not alone!

i got an acceptance to tulane last week

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everybody...I just got accepted into Columbia University for Epidemiology MPH!!!

Accepted: Columbia
Waiting: Yale, BU, UIC, SDSU, John Hopkins (MS),
Rejected: None yet

I can't believe I got in!!!! :)

Stats shown in earlier post

i got in to columbia!!!
YAYYYYY :D

i got accepted to the mph in population & family health with a concentration on sexuality & health.

so happy! i hope everyone else got good news too!

Hopkins and UNC, you're killing me...anybody heard from either of them? (esp. HBHE @ UNC or International Health @ Hopkins?)

Also, I checked my Columbia info. My merit scholarship didn't show up on there, just loans, so I'm assuming if a scholarship did show up with a different amount than the one on the letter it is an additional scholarship.

I still haven't heard from International Health @ Hopkins either. Which track did you apply to? I turned in my FAFSA in January, and my Columbia financial aid info online is still blank! I received a merit scholarship with my acceptance letter, but I have no info yet on loans...

After being on the waitlist for just a week, I found out this morning that I was not offered admission to UCLA for Fall 2011 (My ultimate #1 choice) :( I am super disappointed since I thought my application was really strong and I have many years of research experience. Maybe my undergrad GPA was too low for them? (3.0)? I hoped that all my publications and volunteer experience would help me out... I want to stay in California and I also got into USC's MPH Epi program, so I might just end up going there. Got into some schools on the east coast but I don't want to leave my research job here in Cali so I don't know how I feel about moving... :-/

I was thinking about contacting someone in the department about what went wrong with my application. Do you guys think that's a good idea? At least I will know why, otherwise I'm going to drive myself crazy thinking about it for the rest of my life!!!

bummer :(

I was on the wait list at harvard last year and I called them to see how I could improve my application. They were very nice and they seemed genuine about wanting me to reapply- which you could definitely do. Let them know you're serious about them. Best of Luck!

I don't know if you all realized this...but to get an MPH at Harvard you first have to have an MD or PhD, or a minimum master's degree with a few years experience. You can apply for the MsPH with just a bachelor's...
Yeah, I have an M.Ed- I did Teach for America. I know could have gotten into one of their two year programs but I'm too cheap.

symphonyinc11-
you may want to call them if your award wasn't in your funding package. I just spoke to someone at the office and my lower amount was an error (the full amount should have been split between the semesters.) Your award should be listed as part of your package.

Yikes, thanks for letting me know!

I still haven't heard from International Health @ Hopkins either. Which track did you apply to? I turned in my FAFSA in January, and my Columbia financial aid info online is still blank! I received a merit scholarship with my acceptance letter, but I have no info yet on loans...

I applied to the PCMI track MSPH at Hopkins. I didn't turn in my fafsa until Feb. so you may want to ask Columbia what's up with finaid.. I actually emailed the international health folks at Hopkins and heard back today, they said my app is still under review and they should have a decision by next Monday, but if not feel free to call, seemed very nice, so I'm not sure if Monday is the day for multiple IH'ers at Hopkins or just mine. Mine was forwarded for review on Jan. 11th.

Also, a UNC update, to anybody interested, they said they could email informal news in the next few days but that a formal email would come from the graduate school as well.

Good luck!

Everyone who received financial aid information from Columbia is so fortunate. As of today, I am STILL waiting for a decision from Columbia, the last school matter of fact. I am really running out of patience with their decisions, but would love to see an admittance. :scared:

I am in the same boat - also still waiting to hear from Columbia (MPH Epi) and Hopkins (MHS Epi).

I called Columbia today and they were not very helpful: "Your application is still under review. You will probably hear by the end of March."

I have called Hopkins several times and also emailed and have not been able to reach the one person who can provide this kind of information - so frustrating!

At this point, I think I am deciding between Harvard and UW, but I would still like to know what all my options are before making a final decision. Arg!

I am in the same boat - also still waiting to hear from Columbia (MPH Epi) and Hopkins (MHS Epi).

I called Columbia today and they were not very helpful: "Your application is still under review. You will probably hear by the end of March."

I have called Hopkins several times and also emailed and have not been able to reach the one person who can provide this kind of information - so frustrating!

At this point, I think I am deciding between Harvard and UW, but I would still like to know what all my options are before making a final decision. Arg!

I understand what you're feeling...It is frustrating to say the least, especially with such blatantly obvious responses. :rolleyes:

I am also afraid if I do get accepted into Columbia, there won't be any merit scholarships left!

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, Hopkins never sent me an email with an official notification of their decision. I actually logged into the application website to check my status and found the decision letter. I didn't get in, for those who are still waiting, maybe try checking on the website to see if they posted a decision. Good luck!

Thanks, Lepursuit. I have actually been checking the website quite frequently...still says 'under review'.

Hey guys, just FYI for those who were waiting to hear from Emory on Merit awards, etc. I got an email today with the monthly newsletter and there was a section: http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/prospective_students/documents/Newsletter_March_2011.pdf
specifically referring to it. They say that all people with completed applications by Jan 14 (including test scores) were considered. It says at this point all merit award nominees have been notified.

I know that I had seen on several threads where some people had mentioned Emory and that they were waiting to make decisions on schools until they got financial aid offers, I just thought that information/link might be helpful to anyone still waiting! It does say that there sometimes comes additional funding opportunities, so you may still get something, but I would think it would be helpful to know that merit scholarships are completed at this point (according to Emory).

Good luck everyone!

Hi Awapi,

Were most people notified about getting merit scholarships from Emory via email? The only reason I ask is because I didn't get any scholarship attachments to my acceptance email, and I can't find anything on OPUS, but my official acceptance packet has not arrived in the mail yet (they said it will take ~3 weeks since I live on the west coast). I know I shouldn't hold out hope for money considering everyone else is more qualified than me, and because the newsletter states that they already notified everyone, but I can't help wondering about the official acceptance packet.

Thank you.

Hi Awapi,

Were most people notified about getting merit scholarships from Emory via email? The only reason I ask is because I didn't get any scholarship attachments to my acceptance email, and I can't find anything on OPUS, but my official acceptance packet has not arrived in the mail yet (they said it will take ~3 weeks since I live on the west coast). I know I shouldn't hold out hope for money considering everyone else is more qualified than me, and because the newsletter states that they already notified everyone, but I can't help wondering about the official acceptance packet.

Thank you.

I was notified via email, it appears several if not all (I'm certainly not sure) were sent out around the same time or on the same day last week. (It was separate from the email of acceptance).

got accepted to University of Minnesota yesterday !!! yay :D:laugh:

Welll columbia gave me a crap aid package.... sooooo that might be out...

Anyone else a lil frustrated with what they got? My whole year tuition isnt even covered :cool:

For all those who have financial aid info. for Columbia... did you have to do a Direct Loan Entrance Interview/Quiz? When I log on to try and see my award it lists these documents as being incomplete: "Direct Loan Entrance Interview" and "Direct Loan Master Promissory Note". There is a link to the federal aid website and some options, but it's kind of confusing. Did you guys take some sort of entrance quiz that I somehow missed? When I try to take the quiz, it also asks me to select schools, but it only lets me select up to 3 and I don't know where I'm going yet so I don't want to fill it out for the wrong school. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

And sorry to hear about the crap package! I'm sure mine will be too, once I finally get it...

For all those who have financial aid info. for Columbia... did you have to do a Direct Loan Entrance Interview/Quiz? When I log on to try and see my award it lists these documents as being incomplete: "Direct Loan Entrance Interview" and "Direct Loan Master Promissory Note". There is a link to the federal aid website and some options, but it's kind of confusing. Did you guys take some sort of entrance quiz that I somehow missed? When I try to take the quiz, it also asks me to select schools, but it only lets me select up to 3 and I don't know where I'm going yet so I don't want to fill it out for the wrong school. Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about?

And sorry to hear about the crap package! I'm sure mine will be too, once I finally get it...

I called Columbia about this last week. The person at the financial aid office told me that the "direct loan entrance interview" message is there for everyone. We do not have to do anything until we have received our packages. That said, I haven't received mine yet either. I'm guessing they're rolling it out slowly.

Last edited:
I called Columbia about this last week. The person at the financial aid office told me that the "direct loan entrance interview" message is there for everyone. We do not have to do anything until we have received our packages. That said, I haven't received mine yet either. I'm guessing they're rolling it old slowly.

Thanks awkwardturtles! I was started to get a bit stressed out about it. It did seem weird to complete it though without actually receiving/accepting a package.

Guess I'll just have to be patient!

Hi Awapi,

Were most people notified about getting merit scholarships from Emory via email?

Thank you.

globalhealth85 is right, I received my acceptance back in December, the merit scholarship was sent out via email last week. A few people on here were asking if all departments sent them out already, but according to that link, all departments offer up their choices for applicants to nominate and then a panel decides the scholarships from there (so it seems they aren't decided by department and most of the decisions should have gone out at the same time - theoretically of course, based off the info they sent out).
You could always call and see if they have any other funding opportunities that they haven't sent out yet! Also, there's someone on this forum (and I'm sure others out there) who is probably choosing another school but got the merit scholarship, I don't know if anyone has found out if those scholarships are offered to other people (like if they have a "waitlist" for scholarships). Hope you get some good news!

Last edited:
a friend of mine heard from UNC HBHE via email this morning. i know a lot of you are waiting on them...so i just wanted to let you know they are sending out some acceptances today!

good luck!

-waystinthyme

Has anyone heard from Hopkins (MHS Epi)? I too have had no luck in contacting the one person who can me an update on my application

PH2011327, I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting on hopkins MHS (I think I said MPH accidentally a few posts above...) anyway I submitted back in December and am still waiting..

HI everyone,

my GPA is 3.5
GRE v460 Q720 w 3.0
This year I applied to top schools only which I think was biiiiiiig mistake , I thought that they would consider the fact that I am an international student and they wouldn't care about my GRE verbal and writing score. so could anyone advise me what is the "excellent" GRE score? GPA? or what other things are helpful in order to get into Harvard, BU, Yale, JHU?

what type of work experience should I have?

Please give me some suggestions/advise

Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone with ur applications!
Khako

HI everyone,

my GPA is 3.5
GRE v460 Q720 w 3.0
This year I applied to top schools only which I think was biiiiiiig mistake

Please give me some suggestions/advise

Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone with ur applications!
Khako

What makes you think it was a big mistake? Have you heard about acceptance/rejection from all of the schools?

Your stats are not bad at all, your GPA is very good. Most of the schools (not all, some say higher) suggest that you have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA and that you score above the 50th percentile of the GRE, this page http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_interpreting_scores.pdf from the GRE website says that the mean score would be 456 V, 590 Q, and 3.8 W (obviously you can't get non-multiples of 10, but they're averages :) ). So you are in that range for Verbal, exceed it for Q and are very close in writing (although I had two schools tell me they don't consider the writing scores because they don't know how to interpret it in an applicable way to Public Health).

Anyhoo, point being that you have a good application, I'm not sure what your work/volunteer/intern experience is, but your stats are good!

If you want to reapply for next year, getting experience (even volunteering in your spare time if you can't get a full time job in public health and can't afford to take time off) in whatever you are interested in would be very helpful. If you are interested in Health Education then volunteer to help teach it at local schools or at an organization that does health education, if you are interested in infectious disease then volunteer at a clinic that treats or deals with those, etc. If you are waiting a year then retaking the GRE could also be a good choice, focusing on raising your Verbal score, but your Quantitative score is very good! I think something in the 1300s would be a very good GRE score, maybe even "excellent" :). Like I said though, your score now is not bad at all.

Good luck! I hope you hear good news!

Anyone else hear from UNC today? Still silence on my end :cool:

Also, are people getting larger acceptance packets from schools yet? Ive gotten online acceptances from JH, Columbia, UCLA but still nothing in paper with additional info... Anyone else in the same boat?

Last edited:
PH2011327, I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting on hopkins MHS (I think I said MPH accidentally a few posts above...) anyway I submitted back in December and am still waiting..

Me too, submitted Dec 6, 2010. Wonder what's taking them so long and why they are impossible to get in touch with...

Also, are people getting larger acceptance packets from schools yet? Ive gotten online acceptances from JH, Columbia, UCLA but still nothing in paper with additional info... Anyone else in the same boat?

Still nothing from UNC HBHE for me either. I have gotten in everywhere else so I guess this could be the one outlier, but it's beyond annoying at this point because their acceptance day is in a week and a half. Originally it was in my top 2, but based on their admissions process / lack of helpfulness, I am wondering if that is any correlation to what the program experience will be.

Still no news from UNC...no idea what is going on with them...:confused:

Still nothing from UNC HBHE for me either. I have gotten in everywhere else so I guess this could be the one outlier, but it's beyond annoying at this point because their acceptance day is in a week and a half.

What do you mean by acceptance day? Is it program-specific or school-wide?

Yes, JHU MHS Epi seems to be very late in making decisions. i have also called several times and emailed, with no success...

My application was only forwarded to the admissions committee on feb 3. Email said 8-10 weeks. If it goes the full 10 weeks, I will need to tell ALL the other schools my decision by then. What an absurd situation!

Me too, submitted Dec 6, 2010. Wonder what's taking them so long and why they are impossible to get in touch with...

Hi guys,

I was just wondering did you all apply towards the end of last yr for MPH programs? I was considering applying but most places look like they're almost done reviewing for the incoming Fall class. So for the next yr, what's a good time line to start applying?

I am getting sooo worried now. I have heard back from yale, dartmouth, and usc MHA program. but I'm still waiting on columbia MPH for HPM.

It' just that school right now that i cannot make a decision on where to go.
Does anyone know whether columbia HPM sent most of its decisions out already? so i do not have to worry every hour;

What makes you think it was a big mistake? Have you heard about acceptance/rejection from all of the schools?

Thank you very much. it was helpful. maybe for MPH I would have more chances but I applied to PhD or DrPH programs. I have heard from BU and Harvard and I was rejected :/ it made me kinda depressed, but let's see what other schools say...

Good Luck to everyone again and also if anyone has suggestions please share!

Thanks,
Khako

No go from Harvard. Oh well!

Now I just need to hear back from UNC and Hopkins. Fingers crossed!

Dude, I just got the coldest rejection notice from Hopkins. Apparently, "The Committee did not feel that your application was competitive for the program." Honestly, I'm not that broken up about the rejection itself, because after the visit day, I'm pretty much sold on Berkeley unless another school ends up being immensely less expensive. But the wording stung. I applied for the MSPH/Peace Corps Masters International track and did realize after people have been asking me what track I applied for that I didn't specify a track within that (eg SBI, global disease epi etc). I also have only about 2 months of experience working abroad, so maybe that was it?

I don't mean to be arrogant, but I didn't think there was anything atrocious on my application...I mean, I wasn't expecting schools to fall all over me, and I wasn't even sure I would get in anywhere, much less everywhere, and I'm thrilled with my acceptances so far, but I didn't think they would flat out tell me I suck in the rejection (even if they thought so). But uh, way to make a girl feel good about herself. They could have at least said "we had several qualified applicants and unfortunately we can't accept all of them blahblahblah" instead of flat-out telling me, "sorry symphonyinc, but we pretty much think you suck." I'm sort of worried now that I actually have something horrible on my app that other schools just didn't notice yet, and when they do they'll revoke my acceptance or something...I mean, maybe I'm overreacting or being hypersensitive, but I've never heard of a rejection letter worded so harshly.

Ok, rant/attempt to soothe my ego over.

So here's the tally:

Undergrad from a state U, w/ 1-year stint at a small LAC.

Graduated in August 2010, Bio major and Spanish/Latin American Studies minors. Was a music major for 2 years as well.

GPA 3.73
GRE 800V 740Q 5.5AW

Experiences (health-related...perhaps I'm a bit lacking in this dept for international/global health programs):

1.5 years behavioral neuroscience lab research with publication (3rd author) in respectable journal, some conference presentations, honors thesis.
Some volunteering w/ hospice, in clinics etc.
Summer global health internship program in Mexico.
AmeriCorps community healthcorps (currently).

Applied: UNC (HBHE MSPH to PhD), Hopkins (MSPH/PCMI, didn't specify beyond that, oops), UW (Global Health PCMI MPH), Berkeley (MPH HSB), and Columbia (MPH Sociomedical Sciences-Social Science Research in Public Health)

Accepted: Berkeley (w/ fellowship nomination), Columbia (w/ 20k merit award).

Fools Who Don't Want Me (don't flame me, I'm kidding): Hopkins

Waitlisted: UW

Jury's Out: UNC

Last edited:
Sheesh! That does seem pretty friggin harsh. But some academics can be a little socially inept. Maybe the person who wrote it didn't realize how cold it was. Was this in a paper rejection or on the website?

Sheesh! That does seem pretty friggin harsh. But some academics can be a little socially inept. Maybe the person who wrote it didn't realize how cold it was. Was this in a paper rejection or on the website?

Website link said my decision was ready and I clicked it and there was what looked like a scanned image of the aforementioned very um, succinct rejection letter. Maybe it's a form letter written by somebody who didn't take hypersensitive perfectionists like me into account when writing it, but it's hard not to take it personally (which is ironic, because it's a pretty impersonal letter).

Well obviously that's not true, not only because you've already been accepted into other amazing and equally if not more competitive programs but you'd already made it this far into the review cycle. Obviously this wasn't the first time they looked at your application--this late into March--so if they didn't toss you out when they first saw it then you were clearly competitive enough to move forward. I'm just saying.

Well obviously that's not true, not only because you've already been accepted into other amazing and equally if not more competitive programs but you'd already made it this far into the review cycle. Obviously this wasn't the first time they looked at your application--this late into March--so if they didn't toss you out when they first saw it then you were clearly competitive enough to move forward. I'm just saying.

Yeah, I really don't meant to sound ungrateful for the acceptances I have, particularly because unless I got/get any game-changing financial news, my decision has largely been made. It isn't the rejection that upset me per se, just the wording, but I totally admit that I take silly stuff like that way too personally. Thanks though, that's a mildly comforting thought. :oops:

Finally!!! Department of International Health at John Hopkins received my application for review on December 20th, and I just received my admission decision TONIGHT. I'm in!!!!!! My first choice school and program, but now I just have to figure out if it is worth it to take out so much in loans or attend other schools (Columbia, Emory) where I got scholarships and assistantships. So excited! Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting (maybe I'm the very last one???):)

Accepted: Emory Global Health (scholarship, assistantship), Columbia SMS Global Health (scholarship), Tulane Global Maternal and Child Health (no word on funding), Johns Hopkins (SBI International Health)
Denied: Harvard (SM Global Health and Population)
Haven't heard: BU International Health

Finally!!! Department of International Health at John Hopkins received my application for review on December 20th, and I just received my admission decision TONIGHT. I'm in!!!!!! My first choice school and program, but now I just have to figure out if it is worth it to take out so much in loans or attend other schools (Columbia, Emory) where I got scholarships and assistantships. So excited! Good luck to anyone else who is still waiting (maybe I'm the very last one???):)

Accepted: Emory Global Health (scholarship, assistantship), Columbia SMS Global Health (scholarship), Tulane Global Maternal and Child Health (no word on funding), Johns Hopkins (SBI International Health)

Congratulations!! Glad you got good news, especially after such a long wait!

Congratulations!! Could you please share your stats/work experience since you have so many scholarship offers?

Congratulations!! Could you please share your stats/work experience since you have so many scholarship offers?

Thank you! I was THRILLED to finally hear back!
GPA 4.0
GRE V680 Q690 W4.5 (never been a good standardized test taker!)
Studied abroad twice, volunteered abroad, worked abroad after graduation, summer internship in immigrant health center, worked (well, for no pay) as a community health initiative director for a few months in an African village, I'm a Certified Health Education Specialist, senior thesis, undergrad research teams, things of that nature.

OMG. Congrats!!! I still haven't heard back from a lot of the schools to which I applied but I was waitlisted for Harvard today. It can be done! I'm soo happy for you!

Hi Everybody...I just got accepted into Columbia University for Epidemiology MPH!!!

Accepted: Columbia
Waiting: Yale, BU, UIC, SDSU, John Hopkins (MS),
Rejected: None yet

I can't believe I got in!!!! :)

Stats shown in earlier post