Accepted, Fall 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those awaiting info from the UW, I received an MPH acceptance (Health Services Dept, MCH track) email this evening. No financial aid info was included, I was told MCH students will receive further info about financial aid later. March 31-April 1 is the prospective student days, and the deadline to confirm acceptance is April 15. Hopes this helps those sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear...

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to repost, but wanted to ask again in case someone has a suggestion:

Has anyone contacted a school that rejected them to find out why? If you have, who did you contact and did you get a helpful response?

Thanks!

Sorry to repost, but wanted to ask again in case someone has a suggestion:

Has anyone contacted a school that rejected them to find out why? If you have, who did you contact and did you get a helpful response?

Thanks!

Hi anvansch,

I contacted both UCLA and UC Davis via email regarding getting rejected. I emailed the specific department that I applied to, so that I wouldn't get the run-around from people who didn't see my application. For UCLA, you can refer to the thread about "Rejected...Now What?" about the response I got via email. They were polite and the reasons were valid, but I'm pretty sure they just copied and pasted a standard response from a list of "rejection reasons".

For UC Davis, I first emailed them, and then I was asked to set up a time/date so that they could call me regarding my rejection. They called me during the time that we set up, and the woman had my application in front of her. I asked her some questions, and she gave me some helpful responses about what I did wrong and why I wasn't good enough for them.

I'd say that emailing the department will probably work, but I think it might depend on the school and how many people manage their program. Calling might work if it's a smaller program, as my experience with calling UCLA was always a straight-to-voicemail or "please hold for 45 minutes" response.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to MHA/HPM programs...

Applied: UNC (Health Policy & Management), VCU (Healthcare Administration)
Accepted: UNC, VCU
Rejected: None
Waiting: None

Stats for anyone who's interested...

Overall GPA: 3.3
Major (Public Health) GPA: 3.6-3.7
GRE: 640 V / 770 M / 5.0 W

Other Info: 3 years work experience; lots of extracurricular and leadership activities.

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting...

-waystinthyme

Those who heard from Columbia today: when was your application submitted/complete? Thanks!

Submitted 10/18, but last letter of recommendation was not received until 11/23 (grrr). The office listed my application as complete on 12/6.

Hang in there!!

Originally Posted by Epi2013
Those who heard from Columbia today: when was your application submitted/complete? Thanks!

I submitted on 12/3 and was complete on 12/16.

I was wondering around how many people were still waiting to hear from Yale? I called yesterday and the woman (very nicely, i was pleasantly surprised) said that I was still under review and that they were hoping to get the rest of the decisions out within the next week. Is this super bad? Has anyone been waitlisted at Yale?

Or rather, has anyone ever called a school about their status and they actually said that they were rejected? Maybe the woman just didn't want to tell me over the phone? I dunno, I'm stressing.

Got accepted to Columbia today!!!!!!!!!

My application was submitted on 11/20 and was completed on 1/25 (there was a problem with one of the recommendations)

I was wondering around how many people were still waiting to hear from Yale? I called yesterday and the woman (very nicely, i was pleasantly surprised) said that I was still under review and that they were hoping to get the rest of the decisions out within the next week. Is this super bad? Has anyone been waitlisted at Yale?

Or rather, has anyone ever called a school about their status and they actually said that they were rejected? Maybe the woman just didn't want to tell me over the phone? I dunno, I'm stressing.

Hi,
All of my experiences with Yale have been wonderful and they are so friendly. While I doubt I will get in, they are amazing. Someone in admissions had a very blunt (polite though) conversation with me about my previous coursework and I was impressed with their candor. So, I doubt they would withhold information.

I haven't heard anything back yet. Acceptances and rejections seem to be trickling in based on the responses in this post. They also told me that a lot of acceptances go out in April (probably 2nd round after they receive their first batch of declines).
Good luck!

I haven't been waitlisted, but I was browsing the forum earlier today and I came across someone that was waitlisted last year at Yale. So they have had a waitlist in the past.

Awesome! I'm looking forward to meeting you. Will you be attending either of the Admit Days?

Yes, I'm going April 8! How about you? I see you're from California... I'm living in Portland at the moment, so will also be making the trek out from the west coast...

Yes, I'm going April 8! How about you? I see you're from California... I'm living in Portland at the moment, so will also be making the trek out from the west coast...

Hi Mphbound,

Just saw that you were living in Portland and wondered if you had considered the Oregon MPH program? It's not so easy to find much information about the program so I wondered if you had any insight.

Thanks!

Is anyone else still waiting for Columbia? I feel all alone and I'm getting worried because I haven't even gotten their financial aid app. I'm starting to think I should just decide between the schools that notified me early and forget about those that haven't, but I don't really want to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a copy of the email I just got from UW Global Health MPH after I questioned them more about what my "favorable" position on the waitlist meant...
"Actually our waitlist is not in order. In order to try and preserve the diversity of the incoming class, we take people in off the waitlist based on how they match with those who decline our offers so no one is in any more favorable of a position than anyone else. There is really nothing to be done except wait and see what happens. The national deadline for folks to let us know their responses to our offer is April 15th (though I try to get them to let us know before then). There some years where people change their minds even later than that too, as late as July or even August. There is really, unfortunately, no predicting".

Not helpful!

Finally heard back from Columbia today!

Accepted: Columbia, UIC, BU, UMich and GW
Rejected: Yale
Waiting: Harvard, JHU, UNC and Loma Linda

Is anyone else still waiting for Columbia? I feel all alone and I'm getting worried because I haven't even gotten their financial aid app. I'm starting to think I should just decide between the schools that notified me early and forget about those that haven't, but I don't really want to do that.

I have not heard from Columbia and I also applied for Financial Aid. I will let you know when I hear from them

I found out why Columbia had sent out financial aid applications to those without acceptances. It turns out that to streamline the financial aid process, Columbia decided to send financial aid applications out in cycles. However, this process became overwhelming to the admissions office because a large number of students were contacting them questioning why some of the applicants who were accepted received the email and why others who were not accepted also received them. They might have stopped sending out emails as two individuals (one from the admissions office and one of the financial aid office) had told me about the cycles and a third individual from the financial aid office told me that only students who were accepted should have received the financial aid email. I hope that clarifies things for the Columbia applicants who didn't receive such an email (including myself :eek:).

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better because I didn't understand why we didn't all get them.

Oh! I just checked the UCLA site & I was accepted! Yay!!!

anvansch,

i was accepted at berkeley so i can't speak to why they reject people but i will say (as someone who also attended berkeley as an undergrad), they really like people with interesting life stories. so if you come across in your personal statement as a person who is outside the box, that helps. i don't know your story but from all the people i've known who went to berkeley, i have to say intelligence wasn't the biggest factor that got them in. i knew someone in undergrad who didn't understand fractions! yet, she had a really interesting life story and they must have felt she would bring different perspectives to the school.

just my 2 cents.

alice

Here is a copy of the email I just got from UW Global Health MPH after I questioned them more about what my "favorable" position on the waitlist meant...
"Actually our waitlist is not in order. In order to try and preserve the diversity of the incoming class, we take people in off the waitlist based on how they match with those who decline our offers so no one is in any more favorable of a position than anyone else. There is really nothing to be done except wait and see what happens. The national deadline for folks to let us know their responses to our offer is April 15th (though I try to get them to let us know before then). There some years where people change their minds even later than that too, as late as July or even August. There is really, unfortunately, no predicting".

Not helpful!

So they are just trying to soften the blow of wait-listing us? Ugh, I just want to know already!! Good luck!

anvansch,

i was accepted at berkeley so i can't speak to why they reject people but i will say (as someone who also attended berkeley as an undergrad), they really like people with interesting life stories. so if you come across in your personal statement as a person who is outside the box, that helps. i don't know your story but from all the people i've known who went to berkeley, i have to say intelligence wasn't the biggest factor that got them in. i knew someone in undergrad who didn't understand fractions! yet, she had a really interesting life story and they must have felt she would bring different perspectives to the school.

just my 2 cents.

alice

Thanks Alice & milosavljevic for the feedback. That's helpful.

To be quite honest, I'm more interested in Berkeley for its location and reputation than for its actual program. When I attended the pre-application info session, I didn't particularly like the prevailing attitude.
I had a pretty interesting international upbringing and thought I was selling myself rather well. I wrote my essays with UCB in mind, and then tweaked for the other schools.

I *am* super excited about my other acceptances, but it does mean uprooting from my beloved Bay Area!

Hi Mphbound,

Just saw that you were living in Portland and wondered if you had considered the Oregon MPH program? It's not so easy to find much information about the program so I wondered if you had any insight.

Thanks!

I did consider the Oregon MPH program although despite me living in Portland, I don't feel like I have that much information about it either! I have spoken to a couple of students from the program, and have heard some second hand information, and well, I just can't say I heard anything great. At the same time, I didn't hear anything particularly bad either. I was planning on applying and I kept meaning to try and talk with some professors at PSU and sit in on some classes, but I didn't end up doing it. I guess once I got my acceptance to Columbia, I just wasn't feeling that motivated to apply to a program that sounded mediocre.

All that being said, it probably really depends on what concentration you are in, and who knows, maybe it is an awesome program! It's just that I haven't heard anything particularly intriguing about it. I do love Portland and would love to stay here, but I also want to be in a program I'm really excited about.

Anyways, I feel like that was probably not all that helpful, but, I thought I would share the little bit I did know! I'll let you know if I find out anything else...

Aw...I'm going to the one in March. But we should connect for sure. Do you think you're definitely going to Columbia?

nothing yet on my end. I submitted my app on 12/16 and it was completed on 1/14. The admissions said by the end of March all the acceptances will go out. Im losing hope with everyday. I haven't heard anything from the other school I applied to , Mount Sinai.

Good luck and Congrats to all who go it in! :)

For all of you still waiting on UNC...

I called this morning to check on the status of my applications (MPH and MPH to PhD) and they said that they are meeting on Monday for review. My application was complete in early Nov so I'm not sure whats up... Im guessing I might be in the middle ground pile.... If youre on a deadline with other schools, you can request an emailed decision...

Good luck everyone!!

I have been getting some pretty sweet acceptances, but a couple of days ago, I was offered a Full Tuition Scholarship to USC's MHA program!!! Now, I have to decide between these schools, all in Health Policy and Management:

Accepted: Columbia MPH, UCLA MPH, USC MHA (full tuition paid), BU (10k scholarship)
Waiting: UW MHA
Denied: Berkeley MPH

Here are my stats:
GRE: Q: 720 V: 690 Writing: 5
Undergrad @ USC: 3.3 GPA
1 year of work experience @ Stanford Children's Hospital

Any suggestions? I think its down to Columbia, USC and UW(if I get in)!

UW
Pro's: -AMAZING program, reputation and faculty
-Moderately priced
Con's: -few

Columbia:
Pro's: -New York
-Ivy League
-Great program
Con's: - Ridiculously expensive

USC:
Pro's: -FREE
-Good program
-California connections
Con's: -Already experienced the city
-Program not as well known as the other two

NOTE: I still have 17k of undergrad to pay off and 20k saved up for grad school, so money will be an issue.

Thanks!!!

Hi,
I received an acceptance from Yale today! I am actually quite surprised. I can't believe I was accepted to all 3 schools I applied.

BTW, it came via email. This entire time I have been thinking it was going to come via snail mail. However, the email didn't actually say if I was accepted into my first choice program or my second choice, but I don't even care :)
Jaya

Hi,
I received an acceptance from Yale today! I am actually quite surprised. I can't believe I was accepted to all 3 schools I applied.

BTW, it came via email. This entire time I have been thinking it was going to come via snail mail. However, the email didn't actually say if I was accepted into my first choice program or my second choice, but I don't even care :)
Jaya

Oh Congrats!! Maybe towards the end they send rejections via snail mail and acceptance through email which means I probably didn't get in. Oh well. Anyhoot what dept did you apply to?

I also got into USC, but for the MPH Epi program. I agree that it is not as well known as many of the other public health schools (in fact, there is no pub health school there, just MPH/PhD programs within the Keck School of Medicine) but do you all think that it's still a good program regardless? USC of course is a great school, and you can definitely benefit a lot from being part of the trojan network... Just wanted to get some feedback since I need to make a decision soon! thanks! :)

Last edited:
I did consider the Oregon MPH program although despite me living in Portland, I don't feel like I have that much information about it either! I have spoken to a couple of students from the program, and have heard some second hand information, and well, I just can't say I heard anything great. At the same time, I didn't hear anything particularly bad either. I was planning on applying and I kept meaning to try and talk with some professors at PSU and sit in on some classes, but I didn't end up doing it. I guess once I got my acceptance to Columbia, I just wasn't feeling that motivated to apply to a program that sounded mediocre.

All that being said, it probably really depends on what concentration you are in, and who knows, maybe it is an awesome program! It's just that I haven't heard anything particularly intriguing about it. I do love Portland and would love to stay here, but I also want to be in a program I'm really excited about.

Anyways, I feel like that was probably not all that helpful, but, I thought I would share the little bit I did know! I'll let you know if I find out anything else...

Thanks so much for sharing your impressions. It is a bit of a shame--one might have expected to hear great things about the community health program (b/c it's very much valued in Portland) and/or epi (OHSU's reputation)....Sigh. Oh well, thanks for your thoughts, and good luck to you in your decision!

Oh Congrats!! Maybe towards the end they send rejections via snail mail and acceptance through email which means I probably didn't get in. Oh well. Anyhoot what dept did you apply to?

I got my Yale rejection yesterday via email... I'm not sure what they are looking for. I'm accepted to Columbia, Brown (merit scholarship), Michigan, Emory, Dartmouth and some other schools. Yale was actually my only rejection so far... still waiting on JHU.

Got my acceptance from UMDNJ Piscataway/New Brunswick for Health Education and Behavioral Science yay! It came in the mail.

Thank you!

That seems unlikely :) I'm sure they are just processing things as fast as they can so there isn't any set reason why a person receives something one day versus another.

I applied to the Health Policy program and SBS. I think I was accepted to HP based on the faculty member's name they gave me but again, no details other than I was accepted.

Has anyone heart from Harvard today? From the looks of it, it might be the first Friday in a few when they haven't sent out decisions...

For all of you still waiting on UNC...

I called this morning to check on the status of my applications (MPH and MPH to PhD) and they said that they are meeting on Monday for review. My application was complete in early Nov so I'm not sure whats up... Im guessing I might be in the middle ground pile.... If youre on a deadline with other schools, you can request an emailed decision...

Good luck everyone!!

I recieved the same response 2 weeks ago when I called! The head of admissions quickly answered that I was being reviewed on Monday and that I would hear a week from then. It has now been about 10 days since that date. I have gotten in everywhere else I applied and UNC is in my top 2, so this is getting really annoying!!!

Does anyone know whether UNC HBHE typically sends the decision by email or mail?

CONGRATS everyone! I think the process of applying to graduate school is harder than the actually MPH itself...thank god this is all over!

Accepted : USF, OSU, USC, U South Carolina, BU, Tulane, USF
Rejected: UW...
Waiting: None

Is anyone going to Tulane's Open House over st. Patricks day? Also, what are thoughts on BU and Tulane? I love both of the programs:love:

Hey all,

I just got in to Harvard - SM in global health and population. hopefully I'll get financial aid info soon.

Looks like the Friday notification continues!

In at Harvard for SM2 in Environmental Health.

780Q, 700V, 5.0 AW; 3.6 GPA; TFA alum with research background

Has anyone heart from Harvard today? From the looks of it, it might be the first Friday in a few when they haven't sent out decisions...
I was wondering the same thing- lookds like it's a yes :/

For the MPH or one of the two year programs? I'm TFA too, 2008!

thanks- I'm anxiously awaiting... I was wait listed last year :/

I was accepted to the 1-yr program. What program are you applying to?

YAYYYYY! I just received the request for transcripts for Berkeley's EHS program! Just waiting for official acceptance from the grad school.

Does anyone have an idea as to when we may expect finaid info for Berkeley?

I got into USC MHA program Dean's merit scholarship (full tuition)
along with Dartmouth MHS for their HEalth policy Clinical Prac.

But i still haven't heard from columbia MPH in health policy? like I'm worried. now.
will they send more out?

GRE: 600V, 690Q, 4.0W
Undergrad GPA: 3.0

had a lot of extracurricular activities, leadership, and research experiences. About 4 years of internationally related work, two summers of actually travelling abroad. 2 years of research. 2 years of professional public health experience. I also had strong letters of recs.

Accepted: Emory, Columbia, Yale, UCLA (was waitlisted but now under review)
Rejected: UC Berkeley, UW, Johns Hopkins

Last edited:
Accepted into London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) for MScPH- start date Sept 2011!

Last edited:
I got into USC MHA program Dean's merit scholarship (full tuition)
along with Dartmouth MHS for their HEalth policy Clinical Prac.

But i still haven't heard from columbia MPH in health policy? like I'm worried. now.
will they send more out?

You should call columbias admissions office. Did you check to see that all of your application materials got in on time?

Do you think you are going to take the full ride to usc over the other schools though? I was also offered the same scholarship, and I'm trying to decide. See my post above.