Accepted. Cold Feet. Torn between two career paths.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basic question: If there was a 50/50 chance of being a successful screenwriter (my passion) or being a doctor (I'm interested in it, but not as passionate as I am with writing), what should I do? Tough love appreciated.

Now for the details:
I got accepted into medical school last year and deferred a year to think about it more because I realized that I had to give screenwriting a chance to be sure. Over the past year, after working in writing and entertainment industry related jobs, I learned that I actually have a very good shot at professional success based on being interviewed (final rounds) at major studios to be a writer. I was denied most of the time for lack of experience (they told me this), but not because of writing ability. However, the long term career prospects are terrifying, and I'm not sure if I have the willpower to wade through the horrible conditions writers are put through in entertainment. If I got a studio writing job, however, I probably would have stopped considering medicine during this deferred year.

With medicine, I think it's interesting. I generally enjoy medicine and medicine-topics, but I'm not over-the-moon excited. I think what I care more about if being able to help people through a specialized knowledge in the sciences. There are other professions that do this too, but the truth is there is a fair bit of ego involved. My entire family are also all doctors or pharmacists so their influence is hard to separate from my internalized expectations of myself. As another stream-of-consciousness note, I highly value the stability as well.

Basically, both jobs are ones where people tell me "if you can't imagine doing anything else, then don't do it." I realize I can do medicine first then writing on-the-side/after. I realize I can try writing first then medical school down the line (but this will take many more years). I'm leaning towards the former as of this sentence. Anyway, lots of thoughts. Would appreciate any opinions and thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly at ask yourself if you will be happy in 20 years as a doctor and not have any regrets, if so, then follow your passion and become a screenwriter. If not, go to med school and continue writing as a hobby.

Don't think screenwriting and the current employment state of the entertainment industry (****ty) is a responsible alternative to medicine.

Also nothing to stop you from writing and pitching screenplays in your spare time once you're established as an attending.

Most people also aren't over the moon passionate about medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Neal Baer.

We corresponded years ago when he was involved with ER. Back then, I just wrote to him at Warner Brothers. I'd suggest trying to reach him through his production company, Baer Bones. Don't tell him LizzyM sent you as he doesn't know me by that name. ;)

He has made both work out for him. YMMV but it would not hurt to get his perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Do you have any idea how many unemployed (or underemployed) screenwriters there are compared to how many unemployed doctors? Do you have any inside knowledge of life as a screen writer in Hollywood? Do you have any idea what the average screenwriter makes? Do you have any industry connections? Did you study screenwriting in college?...at schools with major industry connections like USC or UCLA?

My advice, go to med school, become a doctor, continue your passion for writing in your spare time as a physician.

Reactions: 1 users
It's situations like this that has me wishing med schools did extended school visits for an entire day (or even two) of the typical day in the life of one of their students. Hell, they could even do one day with a pre-clinical student and one day with a clinical student. I get the impression that a lot of people–even on here–underestimate just how much med school (and residency training) sucks. And while two days isn't nearly enough time to experience it for yourself, it's more than prospective applicants get now.

OP, I would say visit a med school and sit in for an entire day if you could, but you probably wouldn't be able to find an institution (much less one nearby) that does that. So it really just boils down to what do you think you'd be happier with yourself doing. Don't forget to factor in the career prospects, but that shouldn't be your major deciding factor in which path you pursue.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice, go to med school, become a doctor, continue your passion for writing in your spare time as a physician.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with having a hobby that you're passionate about. Go to med school. Write for fun. Then if someone wants to buy something you've written, it's icing on the cake instead of your first meal this week.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I'll look up Nael Baer, LizzyM!

And as a response to Toutie, I'm fully aware of the horrific long term job prospects of screenwriting. I actually was one of the better screenwriting students at one of the schools you mentioned and have been told by industry professionals that it is a matter of when (not if) I would land a pro gig. But even for professionals who break in, I know it's very unstable.

Basic question: If there was a 50/50 chance of being a successful screenwriter (my passion) or being a doctor (I'm interested in it, but not as passionate as I am with writing), what should I do? Tough love appreciated.

Now for the details:
I got accepted into medical school last year and deferred a year to think about it more because I realized that I had to give screenwriting a chance to be sure. Over the past year, after working in writing and entertainment industry related jobs, I learned that I actually have a very good shot at professional success based on being interviewed (final rounds) at major studios to be a writer. I was denied most of the time for lack of experience (they told me this), but not because of writing ability. However, the long term career prospects are terrifying, and I'm not sure if I have the willpower to wade through the horrible conditions writers are put through in entertainment. If I got a studio writing job, however, I probably would have stopped considering medicine during this deferred year.

With medicine, I think it's interesting. I generally enjoy medicine and medicine-topics, but I'm not over-the-moon excited. I think what I care more about if being able to help people through a specialized knowledge in the sciences. There are other professions that do this too, but the truth is there is a fair bit of ego involved. My entire family are also all doctors or pharmacists so their influence is hard to separate from my internalized expectations of myself. As another stream-of-consciousness note, I highly value the stability as well.

Basically, both jobs are ones where people tell me "if you can't imagine doing anything else, then don't do it." I realize I can do medicine first then writing on-the-side/after. I realize I can try writing first then medical school down the line (but this will take many more years). I'm leaning towards the former as of this sentence. Anyway, lots of thoughts. Would appreciate any opinions and thanks for reading.
I'm in the camp of Medicine is a calling, like being a priest or a fireman. What does your heart tell you?

But me, I'm getting the vibe that you should go for the screen writing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I'll look up Nael Baer, LizzyM!

And as a response to Toutie, I'm fully aware of the horrific long term job prospects of screenwriting. I actually was one of the better screenwriting students at one of the schools you mentioned and have been told by industry professionals that it is a matter of when (not if) I would land a pro gig. But even for professionals who break in, I know it's very unstable.
BUT...the question is...how long would that pro gig last when you finally get it? I have known several writers over the years and very few of them have very successful consistent gigs. Honestly the only truly successful one I know is one of the writers/co-producers for Family Guy. Most of them are constantly out of work and always looking for their next job. It is a very unstable life...as opposed to a doctors life which is very stable.

Go be a doctor and do writing as a side gig. You get the best of both worlds that way.

Another interesting option to consider...

Get your MD and work Locum Tenens. That way if you had a steady TV writing gig, you could work as a Dr in the down season or between jobs. You wouldn't be tied down to a regular medical gig, and you could only practice medicine when you wanted/needed to...to fill in the gaps between writing gigs with a very good income coming in.

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't even think about Locum Tenens. It's definitely something to consider. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
@sosho You mentioned briefly about family influence possibly having an effect. How did you view your time in the clinic (volunteering, shadowing) and what specialties did you look into? Anything stand out to you in particular? (This is a rhetorical question; food for thought since this could be some factor towards the less-interest; medicine is a huge field and you won't like everything you see within it.)

Two things I've observed based on my extremely-basic understanding of creative fields (people are free to disagree but putting it out there)
-You are potentially delaying your work potential in the med school. Not saying that's bad, but it does mean less time to get out and start an "official career." It's the nature of the training though and that doesn't mean you aren't doing things. But if you're the sort of person who would rather get involved full-time in the business of creative skill development, then med might be less appealing.
-Less schedule flexibility in med school/residency, although depending on the nature of a creative project this may also be a factor in screenwriting.

The other posters here had great points, and in the end, it's a matter of determining what you value the most out of a career. Best of luck to you!

I was friends with the daughter of a major screenwriter in college, and it's a tough gig. But if you love it, then you can go for it. Just keep in mind that you might land a TV gig and have quite a few solid years of writing ahead of you, or you might have a tough life of always trying to find work. Or you'll have some solid years followed by very little work (his case). Medicine isn't easy, either, but if you get through medical school and residency the work will be very consistent.

I do professional photography. I would say I'm rather good at it, but after doing it for over 8 years I'd rather keep it as a hobby than as a job. Something about depending on it for a living made it a lot more stressful and far less enjoyable. I never pick up the camera if I'm not working, despite my best efforts.

I'll see if I can find some contacts in the industry and PM them. No guarantees.

If I am not mistaken Michael Crichton went thru Medical School then fame and fortune writing science fiction and also ER. No easy answer here. 50-50 decision. I would add that an individual with the talent to get into Medical School would have a better than median chance of success in writing or most other areas.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ps urban legend that Bill Murray went to medical school. Google was closer to he went to a doctor once.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@sosho How did you view your time in the clinic (volunteering, shadowing) and what specialties did you look into? Anything stand out to you in particular? (This is a rhetorical question; food for thought since this could be some factor towards the less-interest; medicine is a huge field and you won't like everything you see within it.)

I like volunteering generally, and I liked shadowing. I did not like volunteering in the hospital too much. It was mostly doing unskilled busy work (where I was at). I have shadowed many doctors. PM&R, psych, or peds are most interesting to me right now.

I'll see if I can find some contacts in the industry and PM them. No guarantees.

Thank you! That's very kind of you. I appreciate hearing from another person with creative interests as well.

It's situations like this that has me wishing med schools did extended school visits for an entire day (or even two) of the typical day in the life of one of their students. Hell, they could even do one day with a pre-clinical student and one day with a clinical student. I get the impression that a lot of people–even on here–underestimate just how much med school (and residency training) sucks. And while two days isn't nearly enough time to experience it for yourself, it's more than prospective applicants get now.

OP, I would say visit a med school and sit in for an entire day if you could, but you probably wouldn't be able to find an institution (much less one nearby) that does that. So it really just boils down to what do you think you'd be happier with yourself doing. Don't forget to factor in the career prospects, but that shouldn't be your major deciding factor in which path you pursue.
My school does this, but I think it's pointless. Med school is like undergrad- I wake, go to the gym, go to class, study as much as I need, watch tv, make plans. The only difference is that I don't have to work now, so I've had more free time than I've ever had since middle school. Some people struggle and are happy. Other people love it. Other people are indifferent. The prospective students' experience will just be colored by who they are with. Med school is also 4 yrs and your career will be 30+ yrs. The important thing is whether or not you like the end result (being an attending). And almost everyone has an adjustment period, so not liking what you see on one day doesn't mean you won't be happy after a month

@sosho If you genuinely like both careers, go to med school and do a 3 yr residency. I have multiple friends who are screenwriters. They work 3 months, filming ends, then they fiddle around with side jobs until the next project comes along. If you are very successful, you will be able to afford not working during these gaps or you will have so many things lined up that you don't need a break. But, from what I gather, the average screenwriter is only going to be contracted from project to project. You could get your MD to have a job during these gaps

An additional consideration is that if you don't go to medical school after an acceptance, it can be very difficult to get in later. I have a feeling that screenwriting will always be there for you. On the other hand, medical school is expensive and you will have to pay off your loans (assuming you have some), and that would be hard to do on a screenwriter salary if you decide medicine is not for you. So it is a serious decision.

And one more thought. As a non-trad, I have friends who have already graduated from medical school and residency and have been practicing for quite a few years. Some love it and some are miserable. Some recommend it and some say you'd have to be crazy to go to medical school. It's really hard to predict what you will enjoy over the next few years. One thing I have learned is that people who go into medicine (or any new career) later in life tend to like it more than people who enter right after college and my theory is that there is less "grass is greener" thinking after you've had a different career. In other words, people who have had a previous career realize there are both ups and downs to both careers. There will be times you will regret doing one and not the other. There is busy work and paperwork and frustration in both. It sounds like you could go to medical school and put the screenwriting on hold, then find a balance between the two later in life. I don't know if you could put medical school on hold (as you've been accepted) and go back to it.

I have multiple friends who are screenwriters. They work 3 months, filming ends, then they fiddle around with side jobs until the next project comes along. If you are very successful, you will be able to afford not working during these gaps or you will have so many things lined up that you don't need a break.

Are any of your friends doctors by any chance? If they are, what specialty allows them this kind of flexibility? Thanks for your thoughts.

You know, you don't need to be a doctor for your entire life... I know I am not going to be... (Yes, I will remain in the scientific/ healthcare field... but yeah not a practicing doctor for life... ) Take a step that will offer you both security and balance. If medical school rejects you, then you have screen writing... Just saying! :)

Absolutely not. But I would assume locums (IM, Fam, ER) would work.

Would you be in a city? And what kind of writing would you want to do? Comedy writing you can do and have performed while in school. Then my friends each have a couple original shows for which they plotted an entire season, wrote 1 or 2 full episodes for, and then have character analyses that they use on job interviews. That's also something you could work on while in school.
Many of my friends in "the industry" drive for Uber of Lyft between gigs. :( Being a physician between gigs would be a lot better.

My school does this, but I think it's pointless. Med school is like undergrad- I wake, go to the gym, go to class, study as much as I need, watch tv, make plans. The only difference is that I don't have to work now, so I've had more free time than I've ever had since middle school. Some people struggle and are happy. Other people love it. Other people are indifferent. The prospective students' experience will just be colored by who they are with. Med school is also 4 yrs and your career will be 30+ yrs. The important thing is whether or not you like the end result (being an attending). And almost everyone has an adjustment period, so not liking what you see on one day doesn't mean you won't be happy after a month
I contend that is not the same. In undergrad you have maybe 3 classes max per day, 3 or 4 days out of the week, and you spend 2 or 3 lecture sessions on a single chapter in whatever textbook your professor is using. In med school you often have a MINIMUM of 3 lectures per day, minimum of 4 days a week, and you spend 1 1-hour lecture block on a single chapter/concept.

At least, that's how it is at my school. And that's why I think they should have shadowing days because no two med schools teach the same way, so it would be beneficial to compare multiple teaching environments.

?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 45