Accepted at Fatima University Foreign/Special Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am happy to share that after staying in the Philippines for about 2 months I finally decided to attend the foreign/special class at Fatima University. The following infos are very accurate and realiable: 1. Foreign student coordinator: Josie Santiano ( she is the person who can guide and walk you through the whole process including loans, etc.). 2. Tuition fee: $3,500.00 per semester- the website is not accurate and never been updated. 3. One time donation: $6,000.00 only ( can be paid installment). 4. Start of classes- September 1 (synchronized to the US system). 5. Accomodation: there is a nice dormitory only 7,500.00 persos per month ( 1 dollar is equivalent to 43-44 persos more or less)- there is a 24/7 guard at the dorm...close to the school. Hope this helps and correct some misinformation in this forum. I encourage you to call the school yourself. BTW, US clinical rotations in Chicago, NY, and Maryland. It is a fact that getting into residency is one of our ultimate goals- having a USCE will place your application infront of those who do not have any. Anyway, I'm from Cali and this school is listed as approved foreign medical school per Cali standards. Back here working and will be be flying back before September 1. Good luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I was interested in Fatima.. I had no idea their school started in September.

Did you pay all those fees up front? Do you think I can still get in? I haven't even taken the NMAT.

I believe you can be admitted without NMAT as long as you have your bachelors. You need to take the NMAT within the this year because it is a requirement by the CHED. If you are interested PM so I can endorse you to the foreign admission in-charge. They also provide housing around 150 dollars per month...or less...7,500.00 pesos.

Yes, the class starts September 1 synchorized with most American schools.

I paid the tuition afront but it was not a requirement. The foreign fee? I put $500.00 US dollars ..can be paid through installment. The guy from Florida only paid 1/4 of all the fees. Let mw know if I can be of help.. +

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey man-

I have a couple questions.

1.What do you think the breakdown of your living expenses will be per month/year?

I was thinking 170/month for rent. Howbout food? Is there a cafeteria or kitchens in the dorms? What would it cost per month. Do they offer single /double rooms at the dormitory?

2. How long would it take to make it back to California?

I'm trying to break it down.. 4 years at OLFU. 5th year residency in CHI/NYC etc. What comes next? Can we do residency in CA afterwards? This is assuming we pass the Step 1-3 right?

3. Why did you choose OLFU?

I am mainly because it is a Title IV school, so I can go on deferment on my current loans and also take out new loans for med school. I think they offer a good way to practice back in the states and its pretty affordable. It's in manila so Its accessible. Howbout you?

My tagalog is ok.. So i think i can adjust well in the society.

1. Living expenses per month? - I can't really give any definite answer because I don't know your lifestyle, taste of food, etc...To give you an idea there are so many cafeterias, fastfoods, etc.... within the campus..what I can tell you is that it is a lot cheaper there than here.
- Dormitory- I saw the rooms myself- good for 1 0r 2. I am not staying at the dorm because I found a place next to the gate of the school and hospital.
2. The program is 4 years.... 3 years in Fatima --depends if you like to do all your clerkship here...my friend who just graduated did 6 months here in the USA and decided to go back to PI to continue her clerkship because she wanted more hands on...Remember that clerkship is your 4th year of med school. After clerkship then you have to apply for the match for residency of course after passing your steps. I plan to take my step1 between 2nd year and third year.
3. Why Fatima? To be honest I already started in other school last June but after learning the US clerkship program of Fatima and knowing how the match process for the residency is, it would be of my advantage to have a US clinical experience bec program directors in the US look for it. One more thing Valenzuela has less crime compared to other metropolitan areas in Manila. Fatima takes care of their foreign students.

4. Whether you speak tagalog or not it would not matter because people speak and understand English even in public places. Of course it is a plus if you speak tagalog. Kung may iba ka pang tanong feel free to ask.

Anyone else going to OLFU this september?

Where are you guys staying? I think I'm going to stay in the dorms.

my email is:
jonjreyes @ gmail.com

Id like to know how much would it cost for local med student per sem.. just the tuition fee and the school fees.. excluding living expenses..?

thanks

1. Living expenses per month? - I can't really give any definite answer because I don't know your lifestyle, taste of food, etc...To give you an idea there are so many cafeterias, fastfoods, etc.... within the campus..what I can tell you is that it is a lot cheaper there than here.
- Dormitory- I saw the rooms myself- good for 1 0r 2. I am not staying at the dorm because I found a place next to the gate of the school and hospital.
2. The program is 4 years.... 3 years in Fatima --depends if you like to do all your clerkship here...my friend who just graduated did 6 months here in the USA and decided to go back to PI to continue her clerkship because she wanted more hands on...Remember that clerkship is your 4th year of med school. After clerkship then you have to apply for the match for residency of course after passing your steps. I plan to take my step1 between 2nd year and third year.
3. Why Fatima? To be honest I already started in other school last June but after learning the US clerkship program of Fatima and knowing how the match process for the residency is, it would be of my advantage to have a US clinical experience bec program directors in the US look for it. One more thing Valenzuela has less crime compared to other metropolitan areas in Manila. Fatima takes care of their foreign students.

4. Whether you speak tagalog or not it would not matter because people speak and understand English even in public places. Of course it is a plus if you speak tagalog. Kung may iba ka pang tanong feel free to ask.

Hello. You are doing the right thing. Fatima is the best medical school in the philippines for foreigners.

I would not recommend that you take your USMLE's until you graduate. If I were you I would concentrate on finishing all the semesters on time. Once you have graduated and recieved your degree, I would sign up for Kaplan Medical in the Philippines. Spend another 6 months to 1 year and take step 1, 2ck and 3 while still in the philippines AFTER graduation. And in between take a trip to the US for the Step 2CS. DO NOT leave the philippines until you have completed at least step 1 and 2ck & cs. You can get all your recommendation letters from US and Philippines and start application of ERAS from the philippines. If you want to PM, please do so and I will help you out.

Hello. You are doing the right thing. Fatima is the best medical school in the philippines for foreigners.

I would not recommend that you take your USMLE's until you graduate. If I were you I would concentrate on finishing all the semesters on time. Once you have graduated and recieved your degree, I would sign up for Kaplan Medical in the Philippines. Spend another 6 months to 1 year and take step 1, 2ck and 3 while still in the philippines AFTER graduation. And in between take a trip to the US for the Step 2CS. DO NOT leave the philippines until you have completed at least step 1 and 2ck & cs. You can get all your recommendation letters from US and Philippines and start application of ERAS from the philippines. If you want to PM, please do so and I will help you out.

I would not go and say Fatima is the best school for foreigners. And i'm not saying it's not a good school.

But UERM/UST/St.Lukes/FEU consider those too.

As for USMLE that is an option if you have the support and money to attempt that.
However i was told that it's best to take your USMLES at the regular scheduled times. Cross studying. i heard stories of people doing it after they graduate and having to wait a very long time to get matching for residency.

I don't tolerate the whole "my school is the best" nonsense and this post is not meant to be taken that way.

But foreign students looking for a school in the Philippines really need to choose carefully. They need to choose a school that will specifically cater to them.

The situation of a foreign student is very different from that of a local or even a Fil-Am student. Choose the school that most obviously welcomes you, and makes it clear that they will support you in the pursuit of your very different goals and objectives.

Ignore the school's local reputation, and choose the one that welcomes you, and that backs it up with specific programs designed for you.

Four years studying medicine in a third world country with no functioning legal system is a long time.

Stack the odds in your favor by choosing carefully.

I don't tolerate the whole "my school is the best" nonsense and this post is not meant to be taken that way.

But foreign students looking for a school in the Philippines really need to choose carefully. They need to choose a school that will specifically cater to them.

The situation of a foreign student is very different from that of a local or even a Fil-Am student. Choose the school that most obviously welcomes you, and makes it clear that they will support you in the pursuit of your very different goals and objectives.

Ignore the school's local reputation, and choose the one that welcomes you, and that backs it up with specific programs designed for you.

Four years studying medicine in a third world country with no functioning legal system is a long time.

Stack the odds in your favor by choosing carefully.

Well said saipan.
Your description is the exact reason why I chose UERMMMC.

GoMD where did you find the dorm for 7,500? I'll be attending Fatima in September as well but decided to live outside of the area since the I didn't like the condo/apt they showed me. I didn't find it liveable.

Thanks to all for this really helpful thread. I will be visiting the Philippines from 1/29-2/10. I have taken the NMAT, gotten all my government docs and applied to Fatima but know no students there! I plan on making an appointment once I land to set things in order since I've already submitted my application to the representative in New York. I am from California and Fatima is my first choice. I'd appreciate a reply or an email to [email protected] as to how you find things as medical students, tips on getting by in the Philippines and maybe even possibly meet for coffee or something while I am on campus:) While in the Philippines I will be in Cubao.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

How many years is the program in Fatima? 4 or 5?

I'm not sure if I got this right? After 3rd year international students get to choose if they want to do their 4th year clerkships in the Philippines or in the states (if there are spots right)???

Thanks!

I really don't appreciate you describing the Philippines that way. That's my country your talking about. Its not exactly the US but its far from the way you describe it in general. There is a legal system that is being implemented and it is a good country to be in. Try living there before you begin stereotyping .

Hi,

If there are any incoming third year students out there, I really need help learning more about the program. I got in as a transfer and have a few weeks to decide if its better to finish my med degree in the Philippines.
If you're an incoing third year, currenlty 3rd or fourth year I'd appreciate any info I can get in regards to the curriculum.

Thanks!

If you are dual citizen US/Filipino, are you required to pay in pesos or dollars? I applied for sallie mae loans and one of their question is the estimated financial assistance in dollars? Please let me know if you know. Anybody know the email address of the representative from Fatima University for foreign students. Thanks. I appreciate your help. What is the Special Class Student? That is for foreign students only? I appreaciate your answers..

If I visit Fatima.. is there a Pension house nearby on the highway that I can use? Looking for something cheap/spartan...

If you are dual citizen US/Filipino, are you required to pay in pesos or dollars? I applied for sallie mae loans and one of their question is the estimated financial assistance in dollars? Please let me know if you know. Anybody know the email address of the representative from Fatima University for foreign students. Thanks. I appreciate your help. What is the Special Class Student? That is for foreign students only? I appreaciate your answers..

I'm not sure if you have gotten a reply yet or not.. but i'll try to answer your questions. You can pay either in pesos or dollars. It doesn't matter. If you will be in the special class, you can apply for sallie mae loans when you get here in August or so... since you won't be able to apply anyway before you register. You have to register first and Ate Josie will walk you through what you need to do. Est financial assistance.. pretty much the breakdown of your expenses for your first year including airfare, room and lodging, tuition, books, uniform and etc... You can do all those here... unfortunately, i don't have Ate Josie's email address but you can email me at [email protected] I'll try to get her email for you. Special class is for foreign students only.

Why are you suggesting not to leave till after taking the exams? What if we are from another country?

Why are you suggesting not to leave till after taking the exams? What if we are from another country?

Most foreign students in Philippines take the USMLEs after graduating. They want to get the best possible scores to have a decent chance at matching. If you would like to take it after 2nd year, it's advisable to request a leave of absence from your school, that way you'll have much time to prepare. But this leaves a gap on your resume, during the M.D. program, and program directors might ask you later on why it took that much time just to sit for Step 1.

Just my two cents,=)

Most foreign students in Philippines take the USMLEs after graduating. They want to get the best possible scores to have a decent chance at matching. If you would like to take it after 2nd year, it's advisable to request a leave of absence from your school, that way you'll have much time to prepare. But this leaves a gap on your resume, during the M.D. program, and program directors might ask you later on why it took that much time just to sit for Step 1.

Just my two cents,=)

im kinda torn between taking step 1 after 2nd year or after graduation.

ive heard it's an advantage if you take step 1 after 2nd year coz the first 2 years of med cover it..so the info will still be fresh in your head, but ive heard other stuff, like you have said, that you gotta take a break from school.

i wanna hear more experiences from current med students or graduates and how they took their USMLE.

im kinda torn between taking step 1 after 2nd year or after graduation.

ive heard it's an advantage if you take step 1 after 2nd year coz the first 2 years of med cover it..so the info will still be fresh in your head, but ive heard other stuff, like you have said, that you gotta take a break from school.

i wanna hear more experiences from current med students or graduates and how they took their USMLE.

You've already heard them!!!! The majority take Step 1 after graduation.

We can quibble about how well Filipino medical schools prepare students for Step 1. But the real reason that students postpone Step 1 until after graduation is that most parents want to see a graduation diploma before they shell out big bucks (relatively speaking) for Step 1. But there are many equally good reasons for postponing. And getting a high score in order to build a strong residency application is maybe foremost.

Hence, most people postpone (even if their parents will pony up the Step 1 fees after second year).

Ultimately it's a personal decision. If you're ready, take it. If not, postpone. The catch is to be mature enough to know if you're ready.

hey saipan,

thanks for the reply..yeahh..that's true. dont wanna dish out the cash until it's official.

guess ill have to see if im ready.

hey saipan,

thanks for the reply..yeahh..that's true. dont wanna dish out the cash until it's official.

guess ill have to see if im ready.

Although several people have suggested for you to take the USMLE 1 after graduation, my suggestion is quite different. It is to your advantage that you take the USMLE after second year (im leaning towards this one) or after third year. You need step 1 for acceptance into some of their rotation in the US as well as rotations that are outside of their affiliation. The ones you set up. But if you do not feel comfy taking the USMLE, by all means do it after graduation. Though I'm gearing to take it after my second year....

I was wondering, is it possible to switch to local class instead of the foreign for second year at Fatima even though I'm fil-am? That would mean no summer break in between. Since foreign sem ends at june and new sem (local) begins at june. Reason for this, when local sem ends, its usually march. Giving a person April - August to prepare and continue semester September (back to foreign)

Although several people have suggested for you to take the USMLE 1 after graduation, my suggestion is quite different. It is to your advantage that you take the USMLE after second year (im leaning towards this one) or after third year. You need step 1 for acceptance into some of their rotation in the US as well as rotations that are outside of their affiliation. The ones you set up. But if you do not feel comfy taking the USMLE, by all means do it after graduation. Though I'm gearing to take it after my second year....

I was wondering, is it possible to switch to local class instead of the foreign for second year at Fatima even though I'm fil-am? That would mean no summer break in between. Since foreign sem ends at june and new sem (local) begins at june. Reason for this, when local sem ends, its usually march. Giving a person April - August to prepare and continue semester September (back to foreign)

hey medic,

yeah.. i heard it was good to take after 2nd year also..coz the info is still fresh in your head.

what year are you right now? and how do u plan on taking the usmle step 1 after 2nd year? are you gonna take a break after 2nd year to review for it?

and as for your other question..im not even enrolled at fatima yet..so yeah..wish i could help. haha...u shud look for ladybug..she might be able to answer your question.

hey guys,

quick question..for my letters of recommendation..who should it be addressing?

or should it just be like "To Whom It May Concern:"? please let me know asap. thanks.

good day everybody

I dont know its the proper thread to ask my question or not so i apologize if its not
i will graduate in Bs. radiologic technology in Philippine this year.i would like to study medicine here i have 2 choices San beda medical school and Fatima medical school i prefer the second one (fatima) because of special class for international students,as far as i have 2 years experience being classmate with filipinos ,so i think it is the best opportunity for me to study in special class.i like to do some elective in Australia in 4th year of medicine because my fiance is Aussie so it will be a good chance for me to have some experiance there so that have easier time for studying the board exam of Australia.my question is do these two universities which i mentioned let me do it?
thankyou so much

are there any schools that accept irregulars/students starting in october ?

are there any schools that accept irregulars/students starting in october ?
bridge you can enroll in Fatima they accept you but only if you already have your bachelor degree but the problem is you already miss one month classes

when does their school year end ?

bridge you can enroll in Fatima they accept you but only if you already have your bachelor degree but the problem is you already miss one month classes

i exactly dont know .you know i lost one year because of passing one month of my internship(bs.RT).so i will enroll for next year(2012) anyway if you have more questions please email me
[email protected]

There is no October start date for Fatima. Classes start in September for the international class, and June for the regular class.

If anyone has any questions about this school, feel free to ask, or PM me