Accepted 3rd time around

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadpuff

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all you reapplicats:
I finally was accepted into the University of Wisconsin Madison (through the early decision program) after applying to medical schools for the 3rd time. :) :) :)
My stats are about average: 3.5 GPA (cum), 27 MCAT (10V, 10BS, 7PS). At first I started out with a 23 MCAT and eventaully retook the test 3 more times (although I was never able to increase my PS from a 7). After undergrad I worked at a medical school research lab as a lab tech for a year.
I just wanted everyone to know that if you really really want to get what you want then you can get it. I was not even considering trying for a third time, but then I thought what the heck.. its worth a shot! As they say "third time is the charm!" Best of luck to everyone that is reapplying!

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome! Feels good, don't it? Hopefully, we can all feel good further down the road. Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! All your hard work paid off!

Now go post in my EDP poll on pre-allo!;)

Wow congrats....great job!

Thanks for the all the congratulations guys, I really appreciate it. I still can't beleive that I got in... and now I have this great feeling that I don't have to worry about anything anymore. :) If anyone needs any suggestions, tips, or just general questions about what I did to enhance my application, feel free to ask me.

shadpuff,

Nice work! My story sounds very similar to yours... I and now I am graduating from the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health in May. Welcome!

WISC-ite

Hey there congrats! Now if I can get past this orgo :eek: I will hopefully be applying next cycle!! :clap: I hope that you can enjoy your time off until med school starts.

Congrats!! I hope to see you there soon, Good Luck and may you make a great darn Doctor!!!!!!!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations!

To all you reapplicats:
I finally was accepted into the University of Wisconsin Madison (through the early decision program) after applying to medical schools for the 3rd time. :) :) :)
My stats are about average: 3.5 GPA (cum), 27 MCAT (10V, 10BS, 7PS). At first I started out with a 23 MCAT and eventaully retook the test 3 more times (although I was never able to increase my PS from a 7). After undergrad I worked at a medical school research lab as a lab tech for a year.
I just wanted everyone to know that if you really really want to get what you want then you can get it. I was not even considering trying for a third time, but then I thought what the heck.. its worth a shot! As they say "third time is the charm!" Best of luck to everyone that is reapplying!
You're truly a success story! :)

I'm in the same boat. 3rd time applier, 32 MCAT (12BS, 12VR, 8PS), low to avg. GPA.

Between apps I kept taking classes and shadowing and talking to people on the adcom or former adcom members. All the waiting and reapplying and sinking money down the secondaries pit was torture.

This year I applied Early Decision to MCG, and I'm in for 2011!

It was definately worth it!

So for those of you out there doing this thing again, don't give up!!! Keep working for what you want, and eventually the hard work will pay off!

3 times here too.. accepted this time around NJMS... the wait and struggle was worth it

To all you reapplicats:

Hard work does pay off! Congrats!

I finally made it in on my third round of applications. Miracles do happen, lol... I applied to both md and do schools and I got into Debusk, I am in shock..... Good luck to everybody and keep trying:thumbup:

congrats you 3rd timers!

To all you reapplicats:

hey, I'm a med student (wasnt a reapp), but I wanted to congratulate you! you'll never need any of that PS bull**** ever again. no more physics, no more general chemistry!! no more electrochemistry or torques! good job! :)

To all you reapplicats:

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story and congrads on your acceptance to such a fine school!

To all you reapplicats:

congrads, perhaps you can tell me more about what additional steps you took and what did you realy do differently this last time that you think got you in. And how you think I can bring my verbal up to a 10 like you.

Congratulations to all the third timers! I just got accepted to Tufts (my only interview) as a second-time applicatant and couldn't imagine going through it all one more time... for those looking for reapplicant advice, the biggest thing I can say is get your AMCAS application in JUNE 1 and don't spend more than a week (or two max if there are a lot of essays) on your secondaries...

I added one EC (albiet a big one) and my GPA actually went down from last year, but the big difference was that I applied near the deadline last year with an average application (31Q, 3.5 gpa.)

Goodluck to everyone and Congrats again to the "3rd time is a charm" crowd!

Thanks everyone for all the continued congratulation remarks. I am still on cloud 9 despite the fact that I was accepted over a month ago. I would also like to give a HUGE congratulations to all the hard working people that were also accepted when they reapplied. :thumbup: :thumbup:

In regards to the question from LiveLife on how I improved my application and MCAT, I can give the following advice. Find out from the dean or admission's committee what were the weak points in your application. From my experience a simple friendly phone call to the school once you get denied can give you a lot of information on what to improve on for the following year. Most school's are more than willing to help you out. :)

In terms of improving the verbal MCAT score, I just bought the 101 passages in Verbal Reasoning from Examkrackers. You pretty much just have to sit on your rear and do lots of different passages over and over under timed conditions. After a while I got a "feel" for what the passages were looking for and I felt less rushed during difficult passages.

Best of luck to those that have applied or will be applying in the following year! Feel free to ask me for any more advice or application related questions!

Hey everyone. I am also a double reapplicant who was accepted my third time. Here is a little background info on me: I'm a 23yr old male GPA: 3.46, MCAT (April 2004): 30L (P12, V9, B9), no research.

1st application Class of 2009:
3 interviews
2 waitlists
1 rejection
0 acceptances.

2nd application Class of 2010:
6 interviews
3 waitlists
3 rejections
0 acceptances

3rd application Class of 2011:
Accepted to my 1st choice.

What I had originally:
1) 6 yrs of hospital work. 2 yrs in Medical Records, 4yrs as a unit clerk on the med/surg unit.
2) Volunteered in a low income medical clinic.
3) Volunteered in the Medical Explorer Scouts.
4) AED/Pre-Med Honor Society.
5) Hospice Volunteer

What I did to improve my application:
1) Lots of shadowing
2) Volunteered in an ER
3) Volunteer at a food pantry.

Last edited:
For the 3rd time applicants, how many times did you take the MCAT? Did your scores improved?

I applied four times and got interviewed three times at one school and twice at another.

Persistance and substantial improvements are key. I just got accepted on the afternoon of 11/16. Congrats to the original poster!

I have been on this website for almost 2 years now. I always read of how people got in after multiple applications and thought it would never happen to me...and now I am one of those persons.

I just got accepted today and it is one of the best feelings I have had in a while...except the news that my wife and I are having a boy in 6 weeks.

For all of you applying...and i am sure you have heard this so many times...Keep trying!

Here's the past 3 years in a nutshell

MCAT #1 April '03 8bs 7ps 7vr...switched from dentistry to medicine

Graduate 3.3 GPA 3.3 (science and math as well)

MCAT #2 August '03 10bs 8ps 7vr

Started working as nurse tech and in academic research

Got married April 17, 2004

Wife started Masters in Nursing program

MCAT #3 April '06 10bs 9ps 8vr...same day found out wife is pregnant:scared::eek:

Today...accepted to Louisville:D

Just make it happen...and be patient!

Good luck

For the 3rd time applicants, how many times did you take the MCAT? Did your scores improved?

I applied four times, and only interviewed three. But to answer the question, I took the MCAT four times, and my scores improved each time. I got a 30 the last time.

Very inspiring thread...I am on my way to becoming a reapplicant if I don't hear about interviews soon. I've already started studying for the MCAT again.

I took the MCAT a total of 4 times, the breakdown is as follows:

April '04: PS:7, V:8, BS: 8
- Studied on my own, used Kalpan MCAT book

Aug '04: PS:7, V:9, BS:8
- Studied on my own, used Kalpan / Examkrackers books

April '05: PS:7, V:10, BS:8
- Used Kaplan online course / books

Aug '05: PS:7, V:10, BS:10
- Used Examkrackers practice tests to find weaknesses, read alot of verbal passages

In the end it was really hard to keep making up my mind to retake the test, especially after the 3rd time because I thought that after 3 it was pointless. In the end I thought... hey, if I put all this work and effort and sacrifice everything (social time, fun, my whole summer) and succeed in getting in then I will be set for the rest of my life. I will have years and years to have fun and enjoy what I always wanted to do.
So in conclusion, if you really want to be a doctor, something as silly as an MCAT test shouldn't stop you, even if it means taking it over and over again.

Last edited:
Hey congratulations! Are you a Wisconsin resident Shadpuff? I'm a student at UW-Madison and looking at atteding the UW School of Medicine in the near future.

Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation. Yeah I am a WI resident. I went to St. Norbert College up in Green Bay. If you have any questions, let me know!

I also am applying for a third time. Congratulations on your acceptances! MechE, I interview on Feb 8 at OUCOM. Apparently, they liked your persistance. Hope they like mine.

Took the MCAT 4 times,
August 2004 27Q(VR-9, PS-9, BS-9)-took the online KAPLAN course
August 2005 25L(VR-8, PS-8, BS-9)-used old KAPLAN books, moved to
Dallas, started a new job, never felt prepared.
April 2006 27Q(VR-9, PS-8, BS-10)-cut back at work, used the KAPLAN
MCAT 45, supplemented with old textbooks.
August 2006 30R(VR-9, PS-10, BS-11)- continued with same gameplan.

Quick note. I felt as good about my writing on the L as I did with the R. Think my political opinion rubbed someone the wrong way. Wrote more like a "democrat" and got a R. Hmmmm? Can't prove it but still feel it was the case. :cool:

1) Shadowed 14 doctors in 8 specialities (Anesthesiology, Family Practice, Internal Med. Cardiology, Surgery, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, OB/Gyn)
2) Volunteered in an ER
4) Took a full time job as a structural engineer.

That's hardcore! Congratulations on the acceptance.

I'll apply til I die

Good to see there's other 3rd timers. I was starting to feel embarassed that it had to take this long.

My experience highlights the importance of extracurriculars related to clinical medicine.

3.75 overall, 3.79BCPM, 34P first time, 38Q second time.
Research x 2 yrs in undergrad. Taught high school science x 5 years in poor neighborhoods. Patient pushing in the ER as undergrad....
unedited AMCAS essay. didn't prepare for interviews.
With the above I applied twice with no success. At Michigan one faculty interviewer flat-out told me "I need to jump through some more hoops." He said I needed to do clinical stuff, that post graduation my work has not been medically related and if I wanted into the game I had to play by their rules. I took his point but did felt that I was as qualified and ready as anybody else. But they make the decisions...Thank God that guy had the balls to tell me the truth.

I quit teaching and became an EMT x 1 year full-time. I also contracted the help of Judy Colwell. I burdened as many people as I could with my AMCAS essay, did mock interviews, and dilligently prepared my rhetoric before interviews.

So now I'm going to Pitt, unless a top ten takes a chance on me.

Getting into med school is not about being unique. You gotta give them the bread and butter of what they want, and then serve up the personality on the side.

Hey everyone. I am also a double reapplicant who was accepted my third time. Here is a little background info on me: I'm a 23yr old male, Mechanical Engineering Major, No minor. GPA: 3.46, MCAT (April 2004): 30L (P12, V9, B9), no research.

1st application Class of 2009:
3 interviews
2 waitlists
1 rejection
0 acceptances.

2nd application Class of 2010:
6 interviews
3 waitlists
3 rejections
0 acceptances

3rd application Class of 2011:
Accepted to the OU College of Medicine.:D

What I had originally:
1) 6 yrs of hospital work. 2 yrs in Medical Records, 4yrs as a unit clerk on the med/surg unit.
2) Volunteered in a low income medical clinic.
3) Volunteered in the Medical Explorer Scouts.
4) AED/Pre-Med Honor Society.
5) Hospice Volunteer

1) Shadowed 14 doctors in 8 specialities (Anesthesiology, Family Practice, Internal Med. Cardiology, Surgery, Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, OB/Gyn)
2) Volunteered in an ER
4) Took a full time job as a structural engineer.

Congrats

Getting into med school is not about being unique. You gotta give them the bread and butter of what they want, and then serve up the personality on the side.

This could be the single most important statement in the history of this website. I found out the hard way that you have to play the game if you want to win.

For two years I was all "I'm going to be myself and just not worry about giving them just what they want." I thought that was what people wanted, not clones dressed in the same dark suit marching in and talking about "helping people." That's why it says "Round 3" in my sig. Those two years of being myself didn't work, so I figured I'd get in line with everyone else who was getting accepted left and right. Jackpot!

Steps to becoming a successful Doctor (or anything)

1. Kiss everyone's ass who's more important than you
2. Repeat Step 1 until you retire.