Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rumor has it that a sizeable chunk of the people that attend DMU are married.

that was definitely one of the things that i noticed!!! haha!! wow that is funny and unfortunate!

Members don't see this ad.

OCPM is not a winner. lol
Barry has some okay looking undergrads though.

yeah, don't come to school thinking it will be a hot different chick every weekend! its kinda like beer goggles where at the time they seem really cute and then you take a step back or go out to non-podiatry functions and you think "wow, there are no good lookers in my class!" its funny how that works. life is just a big continuum, nothing more!

that was definitely one of the things that i noticed!!! haha!! wow that is funny and unfortunate!

Corn fields, cows, crop insurance headquarter buildings, and everyones married.....

.....hot damn, where do i sign up........

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, don't come to school thinking it will be a hot different chick every weekend! its kinda like beer goggles where at the time they seem really cute and then you take a step back or go out to non-podiatry functions and you think "wow, there are no good lookers in my class!" its funny how that works. life is just a big continuum, nothing more!

obviously you haven't seen me yet!! lol

Corn fields, cows, crop insurance headquarter buildings, and everyones married.....

.....hot damn, where do i sign up........

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

yay! i decided on scholl! anyone else going there for sure??? i want to make new friends! lol! :) Let me know!

-Shannon

yay! i decided on scholl! anyone else going there for sure??? i want to make new friends! lol! :) Let me know!

-Shannon

:D YA'LL!!!!!!!!! :D

ill seeya there shannon, and dont leave that darlin accent back in texas either!

I sent in my scholl deposit but still gotta see DMU and AZPOD.

The earliest interview I could get at Des Moines was after my deposit to scholl was due. Plus AZPOD took a long time to offer interviews so it is after the due date as well. Out of seeing OCPM, Temple, NY, cali, and scholl...I really liked scholl the best and did not want to lose my spot there. They gave me a half tuition scholarship for the first year which is pretty decent as well. Yea its $$$ but I think sending in the deposit makes sense :rolleyes:

In the grand scheme of things, that deposit is very little when it is all said and done and you have 150-200K in debt. It definitly makes sense, you do not want to mess up a seat with your potential number 1 choice. Plus it gives you a little longer to decide.

The earliest interview I could get at Des Moines was after my deposit to scholl was due. Plus AZPOD took a long time to offer interviews so it is after the due date as well. Out of seeing OCPM, Temple, NY, cali, and scholl...I really liked scholl the best and did not want to lose my spot there. They gave me a half tuition scholarship for the first year which is pretty decent as well. Yea its $$$ but I think sending in the deposit makes sense :rolleyes:

Yeah it makes sense, never said it didnt.
If they really want you to go there, I doubt you would lose a seat that easily. You could have asked for an extension.

But if money isnt a problem, then way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cousins are from Iowa, and it's true. They are 2-5 years younger than I, and ALL married and some have kids. It's just somerhing about the area/state. Don't get me wrong, they are successful--professionally, but as they explained to me, it would be weird to NOT be married by 24-25. No thank you. Oh yeah, and everyone is white. Nothong wrong wth that unless you're from a big city--it may seem weird to be around only one language/culture. Some may like that, though.

My cousins are from Iowa, and it's true. They are 2-5 years younger than I, and ALL married and some have kids. It's just somerhing about the area/state. Don't get me wrong, they are successful--professionally, but as they explained to me, it would be weird to NOT be married by 24-25. No thank you. Oh yeah, and everyone is white. Nothong wrong wth that unless you're from a big city--it may seem weird to be around only one language/culture. Some may like that, though.

If everyone's white, how come I have asians and african-americans in my classes here? Just curious.

And I should say, if you're looking to "hook up" with a classmate, then you probably shouldn't be going to ANY graduate school. There's always a few people that hook up, but for the most part, it ends badly. There's the token couple that stays together, but that's not the norm. You shouldn't be worried about trying to find a sig other while your in school because I can assure you that you'll be VERY busy and most of the time you won't have time or energy to go out. But, for those of you concerned about DMU's rep, there's a major University about 25 miles away (ISU) and there's always Drake a few blocks away. Plus a ton of clubs/bars/etc. Or you can do what I do, find 3 of the biggest books you can find and go to some coffee house and sit down and pretend like you know what you're doing-that usually works.

If everyone's white, how come I have asians and african-americans in my classes here? Just curious.

I think what he was trying to say was Des Moine is not very diverse compare to big cities like chicago..etc.

Des Moine doesnt have a big asian population, most of the people there are white.

I think what he was trying to say was Des Moine is not very diverse compare to big cities like chicago..etc.

Des Moine doesnt have a big asian population, most of the people there are white.

I know, I just like to stir the pot every once in awhile.

anyone going to temple yet for class of 2012?

Make that 3 people starting at TUSPM 2012. See ya'll in the fall.

And I should say, if you're looking to "hook up" with a classmate, then you probably shouldn't be going to ANY graduate school. There's always a few people that hook up, but for the most part, it ends badly. There's the token couple that stays together, but that's not the norm. You shouldn't be worried about trying to find a sig other while your in school because I can assure you that you'll be VERY busy and most of the time you won't have time or energy to go out. But, for those of you concerned about DMU's rep, there's a major University about 25 miles away (ISU) and there's always Drake a few blocks away. Plus a ton of clubs/bars/etc. Or you can do what I do, find 3 of the biggest books you can find and go to some coffee house and sit down and pretend like you know what you're doing-that usually works.

According to a post in another forum there are lots of students who hook up with each other...they claim med school is like College Hill or Real World.:biglove:

Nice to see some people going to Temple. I thought I was the only one at this point. Where are you guys/girls coming from? Have you looked into housing yet? I'm from Philly (suburbs) and went to Temple Undergrad so I know a fair bit about the area/city/etc.

P.S. - people who already go to TUSPM (dpmgrad and bdaddyjolley) - a.) where did you guys end up living and, b.) do you know anything about the parking situation at the campus or lot on campus? (how much per day/month/semester), or how did you get to class each day from where you lived?

I was told on my interview day that parking was $120 a month, or in that ballpark.

I will be coming from North Carolina when I start in the fall.

P.S. - people who already go to TUSPM (dpmgrad and bdaddyjolley) - a.) where did you guys end up living and, b.) do you know anything about the parking situation at the campus or lot on campus? (how much per day/month/semester), or how did you get to class each day from where you lived?

For the first year, I lived at TUSPM school dorm. I decided on the school dorm because I am originally from New York City and did not know Philadelphia very well. After my first year, a classmate and I moved into the apartments on the other end of the school's parking lot on 9th street. These are the apartments located above the shops on 9th street between Cherry and Race Streets. It was a good deal for us since the rent for the two bedroom apartment with central AC and W/D in apt was only $685 per month at that time, which is about 6 - 7 years ago. Hence, we each only paid $342.50 per month plus utilities. The apartments were a bit small but it worked out well for us. I did not have a car until my fourth year in Podiatry school. I would park at school's lot for the student monthly rate. It was $90 per month when I was a student. I am not sure what it is now.

The school's parking lot can be chaotic at times. The lot does fill up rather quickly. Depending on where you park in the lot, you will need to leave your keys with the attendant so that he can move your car to allow the other cars to exit or be parked. I would recommend you getting to school a little earlier so that you can park in a spot where you don't have to leave your keys with the attendant. Students can park in the lot for the discounted daily rate. You would need to get your parking stub validated at school to get the discounted rate. Depending on how often you will be at school, you would need to figure out whether it is cheaper for you to get a monthly parking pass or pay the daily discounted rate.

Many of my classmates that lived outside of center city would take public transportation into school instead of driving. You already know how wonderful it is to drive in Philadelphia during rush hour.

As you may or may not know, TUSPM is currently implementing a revised 3rd and 4th year curriculum for the current 3rd year students. The new curriculum will increase the number of externships that students can do before interviews. By the time you are a 3rd year, the kinks of the newly revised curriculum will be ironed out.

Lastly, which suburb are you from? My group practice has an office in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

what is the new 3rd year kinks you are talking about for this new program if you don't mind me asking. I have grown up and live in Jenkintown (Montgomery County) with the parents. I graduated in the spring and was debating between dental and pod but really feel the pod is a much better fit for me and it all worked out, except for the year off right now which I kind of regret. since I will be a year out of school compared to a lot of others who transition right from undergrad, I plan on come spring time starting to review some stuff to get back into the study mode. Do you recommend anything I should hit? books to get to study/review by? things you wish you knew or did a head of time before starting particularly at temple, but any other school for that matter as well?

what is the new 3rd year kinks you are talking about for this new program if you don't mind me asking. I have grown up and live in Jenkintown (Montgomery County) with the parents. I graduated in the spring and was debating between dental and pod but really feel the pod is a much better fit for me and it all worked out, except for the year off right now which I kind of regret. since I will be a year out of school compared to a lot of others who transition right from undergrad, I plan on come spring time starting to review some stuff to get back into the study mode. Do you recommend anything I should hit? books to get to study/review by? things you wish you knew or did a head of time before starting particularly at temple, but any other school for that matter as well?

Whenever something new is implemented, there are always some unforeseen problems that may arise. Since the curriculum just got implemented, I am not aware of any problems yet. It was just a generalized statement stating that if there are any problems that arises, they should have been resolved by the time you are a third year.

As for the suburbs, we have an office up by Huntingdon Valley in Montgomery County. Jenkintown is not too far from Huntingdon Valley.

As for the books to get or study from, I will defer to current TUSPM students, such as bdaddyjolley or dpmjeff, to answer. Some of the professors have changed since I was a student there. For example, our excellent Gross Anatomy professor, Dr. Boyd, has retired. He used to send out materials during the summer before our first year to help us prepare for the Gross Anatomy course. In your Lower Extremity Anatomy course, you will get this huge stack of lower extremity anatomy notes. It is probably one of the more comprehensive notes on lower extremity anatomy out there. I would recommend you to keep that book. Even today, I still refer to that text from time to time. You will also get the lower extremity anatomy coloring book and the lower extremity anatomy dissection manuals, which are very useful resources in conceptializing lower extremity anatomy in 2-D and 3-D, along with anatomy lab.

If you feel that you are weak in the sciences or need some refresher course before you start TUSPM, I recommend you to consider the SARP program. If you do a quick search on SDN, you should be able to find some information on the SARP program from previous postings.

My advice to you would be to work hard, do the best you can at school and learn as much as you can. If you are having difficulty with some courses, get help as soon as you can. The longer you wait to get help, the further you will fall behind. You also need to realize that TUSPM courses are graded on 100 point scale and not on a letter grade system. If your average in the course falls below 70, you would have failed the course.

You should take advantage of a myriad of opportunities that TUSPM and local area residency programs have to offer to students. For example, if you are interested in research, you should consider the TUSPM gait lab or talking to one of the school's faculty members. If you are interested in getting yourself exposed to clinical Podiatry early, consider shadowing a DPM on your free time (such as the school breaks). For example, we had a second year TUSPM student spend time shadowing in my office during the spring break last year. You can also get involved with foot screenings opportunities through various clubs at TUSPM, such as Sports Medicine club and Diabetes club. If you are interested in expanding your Podiatric knowledge, I wound recommend you to sit in on some of the guest lectures given at various TUSPM clubs and during the continuing education events at TUSPM. Students are always welcome to those continuing education events at TUSPM and are free of charge to the students. There is a local residency program that offers weekly Podiatric lectures and workshop, which is open to all students and residents. Though these lectures at the local residency program and some of the continuing education events may be too advanced for the first and second year students, I recommend you to check them out when you have time in your third and fourth year. At some of these events, it will give you the opportunity to network with residents, attendings at various residency programs and local DPMs. You should also look at what Temple University has to offer as well, besides the nice gym complex on main campus. For example, several of my classmates and I took Medical Spanish and Latin Dancing at Temple University Center City Campus.

I hope that this helps.

Just called AZPOD today and was informed that I am accepted! I'm pretty sure that is where I am going to go.

Just called AZPOD today and was informed that I am accepted! I'm pretty sure that is where I am going to go.

Hey thats great. Well i guess i wont be seeing you up in dmu. but it was good interviewing with you!

katie

In the summer you will receive much info on what to get for school. There are no required books to buy except for Gross Anatomy. I would suggest that you get the Netter Flash cards to familiarize yourself with the most common structures studied and eventually a Netter atlas. I did that last year and it has helped a bunch. The other courses so far are really good and the professors are excellent. I never took histology (book is free online for this course if you need it), physiology, neurophysiology in undergrad and have been at the top of the class in those with no prior study. The professors are excellent and if you do what they tell you to do, you'll do great. If you are lazy and don't then you'll be part of the complainer crowd :laugh:. Other than that just relax and enjoy your time while you have it. If you have any other questions you can PM me.

hey i got in yall yesterday and i got the 16k/yr scholarship

Congrats Brahski!:thumbup: ;)

I told you you'd get in. Why dont you celebrate and clean some oriental carpets...

:laugh::smuggrin:

congrats man, looks like ill be meetin ya in august :thumbup:

join the facebook group as well:cool:

Thanks everyone I appreciate it! I am still gonna go on my AZPOD interview but right now I feel I'm going to attend DMU. Everything was great and it was an awesome experience. :D

Can someone post the facebook group link? Thanks!