Acceptance Thread 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In at UT-HSC (actually the Dallas satellite campus at UT-Southwestern). Found out on the 'net today. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to all of those accepted already! You really seem like a great bunch!

Anyway, I'm new to this forum and I will be trying to make some decisions about MPH programs and I'm hoping to get some help! Just a quick bio: I'm applying straight from undergrad at a small liberal arts school with a 3.92 GPA (double major in Microbiology and Economics with minor in Chemistry) and GRE 1090 (V600/M490/W5.5)with the "intention" of applying to med school after I get my degree. I'm also currently interning in the Epi division at NYC Dept of Health (this actually has helped ALOT).

The following are my acceptances:

2/12-Columbia
2/23-Oxford
3/02-Drexel

I'm still waiting to hear back from GWU, Yale, UMDNJ, SUNY Albany, Univ of Minnesota, and UIC. I got turned down by the London School of Economics for the Health Policy and Financing program by letter due to inadequate professional experience ( boo freaking hoo). I also applied late so I missed the deadline for Emory, which by the postings on this forum seems to be the coveted school (Is that because of it's proximity to the CDC?).

So does anyone have any idea what the success rate is for MPH graduates getting into MD programs on the continent afterwards? Thank you!

Hey all, I got accepted to Columbia Mailman School of Public Health Sociomedical Sciences (MPH). The notice was emailed to me this morning. I am interested in cross-cultural mental health research, so considering the interdisciplinary nature of SMS track, I think it will be a good fit for me. I'm not very sure how much I will like NYC, since the living expense is very high and the whole city scene... After going to college in the country-side, I'm sort of turned off by the whole city craziness! I'm still waiting from Hopkins Department of Mental Health (PhD). If you know anything about SMS track in Columbia, please discuss. :)

By the way, I'm an international student studying at a liberal arts school. GRE v. 610 m. 670. 3.78 GPA. I don't have any full-time work experience but I did research or community service almost every break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stats:
UGPA: 3.1 (oh do i have a good story about this little thing lol..)
GRE: 560V 630Q 4.5A

Accepted:
Boston U (2/27)
University of Illinois-Chicago (2/26)
University of Arizona (2/26)
University of Michigan
University of Pittsburgh
LSHTM

Harvard decisions are out! Just got mine via email. Good luck everyone!!!

Hopkins (early Dec)
UC Berkeley (mid February)

I'm a 3rd year medical student in California.

Anyone heard from Hopkins regarding scholarships?

does any one know about university of Massachusetts Amherst. i got admitted there. is it a good school. how will you rank it among the universities in the America?

Hey there,

I called HSPH and they said that acceptances should be coming in between now and the middle of march and email acceptances should be sent out also but it'll take a while to get through all 1400 applicants. Just wondering if anyone has heard back specifically from the society and human development department yet?

Hi there! I applied to SHDH at Harvard and have not heard anything yet. So, they told you that they would be sending out acceptances through email, right? Well, good luck we'll know soon!

It's not the best (UMass) but it all depends on what you want to do with your degree. If you want a job in Massachusetts that requires an MPH, you should be fine. If you want a PhD, or a more high profile job, maybe not. Then again, much will also depend on what your work experience has been (for jobs post-MPH). So really, best question to ask yourself is 'what do I want to do after?' That will drive your school choice decision. Have you applied elsewhere? Also will you get funding?

It's not the best (UMass) but it all depends on what you want to do with your degree. If you want a job in Massachusetts that requires an MPH, you should be fine. If you want a PhD, or a more high profile job, maybe not. Then again, much will also depend on what your work experience has been (for jobs post-MPH). So really, best question to ask yourself is 'what do I want to do after?' That will drive your school choice decision. Have you applied elsewhere? Also will you get funding?

i am an international student. i want to do residency later, after gaining some research experience in America. (for getting into good medical schools i think good & valid research experience is a must- which i lacked in my under graduation, of course along with good usmle scores)
yes i applied for international tuition wavier, which the dept said (most probably) i would be getting.
i also got admitted to univ. of Alabama Birmingham till now. i think u mass is better than Alabama (Alabama had no tuition wavier and the school is ranked same as umass). i also think that umass is a better place to live in than Alabama

Has anyone heard as a doctoral cadidate from HSPH (Specifically SHDH) yet?

yes i applied for international tuition wavier, which the dept said (most probably) i would be getting.
i also got admitted to univ. of Alabama Birmingham till now. i think u mass is better than Alabama (Alabama had no tuition wavier and the school is ranked same as umass). i also think that umass is a better place to live in than Alabama

Then I would go with UMass - from my experience, if the schools are otherwise matched up, go where the money is. Also, I am familiar with life in both states and in my opinion, the locations are night and day so if you'd be happier in Mass, that's another reason to go for it. For what it's worth though, UAB is highly regarded at places like the CDC and particularly in global health whereas Umass is not. Just something else to consider - but if you plan on med school anyway, then go where you'll pay least because believe me, you'll pay in med school. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of odd to learn everything at once...I heard from all three of the schools I applied to yesterday.

Didn't get into Berkeley.
In at UW MPH in social behavioral sciences (email from prof)
In at HSPH S.M department of society, human development and health (email saying I should check my online applicant status page)

I didn't think I would get in anywhere because my only work experience is stuff I did over the summer. Will be graduating from college in June. 3.8GPA, GRE: 690V, 780M, 5.5A. But yeah...definitely didn't have 2 years of work experience.

i'm officially in at University of Michigan SPH (Health Management and Policy) Yay! that's where I'm going next year!

Who here will be at UC Berkeley in the fall? Any for the MPH in Epi/Biostat?

Kind of odd to learn everything at once...I heard from all three of the schools I applied to yesterday.

Didn't get into Berkeley.
In at UW MPH in social behavioral sciences (email from prof)
In at HSPH S.M department of society, human development and health (email saying I should check my online applicant status page)

I didn't think I would get in anywhere because my only work experience is stuff I did over the summer. Will be graduating from college in June. 3.8GPA, GRE: 690V, 780M, 5.5A. But yeah...definitely didn't have 2 years of work experience.

Wow...congrats!!! I still haven't heard anything yet :( . Hopefully that doesn't mean a rejection. My applicant status page never changed like yours did...I hope that doesn't mean what I hope it doesn't mean. Which school are you going to attend?

Wow...congrats!!! I still haven't heard anything yet :( . Hopefully that doesn't mean a rejection. My applicant status page never changed like yours did...I hope that doesn't mean what I hope it doesn't mean. Which school are you going to attend?

I'm not sure actually. I love Seattle, but I think HSPH might be a better fit in terms of research interests and world view. But then again, it costs so much to go there, and I am also afraid of becoming too narrowminded by staying in Boston.

Anyway, good luck to you!

NOT IN at Berkeley (HSB) letter feb 28 :(
Waiting for UCLA and San Diego State

GPA 3.81
GRE V 630 Q 520 AW 4.0
Great LOR's
1 year unpaid internship experience
Congrats to all that have been accepted and good luck to all of us still waiting:luck:

Has anyone heard as a doctoral cadidate from HSPH (Specifically SHDH) yet?

Hi there,
I applied to SHDH as a doctoral student as well and have not heard anything yet.
(Lots of people on this board vying for this coveted department at Harvard, no?) Keeping my fingers crossed for all of us.

Got my first rejection letter today.
I only applied to 5 programs.
This is the one I really thought I'd get in and the one I really liked.

Rejected @ GWU- Masters in Public Health Microbiology and Emerging Infectious Diseases 3/07

Applied at 4 places . In at 3.

Accepted

Emory - Epidemiology
University of Pittsburgh - Epidemiology
Ohio State University - Epidemiology

Not Yet

Harvard- MS Cardiovascular epidemiology
Heard they started sending decisions. Haven't got one yet. But I'm sure I aren't gonna be accepted.

Confused between Emory and Pitt. I am foreign doc [ Gre 1340 V- 620 Q 720] and wanna do research, strengthen my app. Emory is enticing because cdc and all also few pals are there. Dunno much about Pitt. Any views?

Applied at 4 places . In at 3.

Accepted

Emory - Epidemiology
University of Pittsburgh - Epidemiology
Ohio State University - Epidemiology

Not Yet

Harvard- MS Cardiovascular epidemiology
Heard they started sending decisions. Haven't got one yet. But I'm sure I aren't gonna be accepted.

Confused between Emory and Pitt. I am foreign doc [ Gre 1340 V- 620 Q 720] and wanna do research, strengthen my app. Emory is enticing because cdc and all also few pals are there. Dunno much about Pitt. Any views?

I would probably choose Emory out of those three. But then that is my where my preferences are, but my guess all are good schools with good research opportunities.

Hello everyone! Has anyone heard anything from Harvard, besides the couple that have posted their acceptances in the thread? I submitted my app on Dec 1st, but updated it through sophas on feb 14th and sent them some additional information via postal. I am wondering if that has an affect on my application. Also, do they also send rejection letters via email like the acceptances?

i'm still waiting also, my application was late, sophas didn't forward it for a while. i doubt they send rejections via email. did you check your financial aid app at harvard. thats the only thing that has changed for me, it says it processed fafsa received last week, whereas before it was just fafsa received in feb....i dont know what that means. my original message still hasn't changed.

Well, that's good to know that I am not the only one that is still waiting with an unchanged message! I have also checked my fafsa and it indicates that it has been processed. Did you apply to any other schools?

Nah, this is the only school I applied to because there were two profs I wanted to do specific research with, so it will be disappointing...

well guess won't think about it yet

good luck poppytart!

Hey everyone, here is the summary of my apps:

Hopkins (MPH) admit 2/3/2007 - I'm going here
Yale (MPH SBS) reject 2/28/2007
Berkeley (MPH health behavior) reject 2/16/2007
UW (MPH social behavioral sciences) waitlist 3/10/2007 *bummer*

Stats:
UGPA: 3.2 BA History/Poli Sci
GRE V-650 Q-790
LSAT 171

2 years of work experience (1 year americorps and 1 year at a county health department)

- Bottom line - Good test scores with so-so GPA. Its very important you write a good personal statement (take this for me, in retrospect, my personal statement could have been stronger, I know for sure this hurt me in at least one application)

i'm still waiting also, my application was late, sophas didn't forward it for a while. i doubt they send rejections via email. did you check your financial aid app at harvard. thats the only thing that has changed for me, it says it processed fafsa received last week, whereas before it was just fafsa received in feb....i dont know what that means. my original message still hasn't changed.
don't fret if you have not heard from HSPH yet. I did not heard until about 2 weeks after friends of mine had heard both yays and nays and open house had come and gone.

keep hope alive!

Thanks SocialBeast! Hopefully we will have similar good tidings! Comforting words always help

So far in at:

GWU- Global Health (March 1) -by email
Drexel- Community Health and Prevention (March 2) - by mail
Tulane- Global Maternal and Child Health (March 9) - by email

Still Waiting:
Yale, BU, LLU, SLU

Stats:
3.0 GPA, 1240 GRE (580-V, 660-Q, 5.5-A)

Do schools reject over email too? Or do they send rejections via postal?

credentials:
undergrad gpa 3.0
double major (socy, statistics)
writing a thesis in stats
gre 1320 ( m750, v570)

rejections:
emory - epi, biostats

acceptances:
BU - biostats
harvard - biostats

no word:
emory - bshe
dartmouth - general mph
yale - biostats, social and behavioral sciences

i'm confused but oh well. does anybody know about how deferring works?

So far in at:

GWU- Global Health (March 1) -by email
Drexel- Community Health and Prevention (March 2) - by mail
Tulane- Global Maternal and Child Health (March 9) - by email

Still Waiting:
Yale, BU, LLU, SLU

Stats:
3.0 GPA (Biochem major), 1240 GRE (580-V, 660-Q, 5.5-A)

Rejected from:
Yale- Social and Behavioural Sciences (March 16)- by mail

I think it's really important to apply to a program that you're passionate about bcos so far I've gotten into programs that my essay showed I was passionate about, but not into one that while I was interested in, I didn't really have a passion for.
And knowing this, it still sucks to be rejected from anywhere really. It's like "you've shown us who you are but meh, we don't really like/want you."

Good luck all.

credentials:
i'm confused but oh well. does anybody know about how deferring works?

Depends on the school. Some programs allow it, others don't. Figure out which school you want to end up at, and ask the admissions office if deferrals are allowed and what the process is. For some programs, deferral information is posted on the website. Also, in some acceptance letters, deferral info will be listed there (again, only if the school allows it).

Erm... those who got in at Columbia MPH, how did u guys find out? Email? Mail? Also, when did you turn in your apps?

Well, I turned my application and everything by January 29. But I'm still waiting.... no email, nothing....

Stats: 3.0, 1070 4.5

In: Berkeley (3/16), Columbia (3/16) (Infectious disease and epidemiology respectively)
reject: HSPH (wrong depat and late appl)
Wait: Yale, JHSPH

profile:
1)I completed my MBBS. with 61% marks on aggregate with no backlogs
2) My toefl score was 263(cbt, with writing 4.0)
3) My gre scores are 1100 (verbal 370, quant 730)

I had also done various research projects in my college, most are them are field based.i also has 1year internship work experience(including 2 months rural work experience background)

admitted till now:

univ of Alabama Birmingham.
univ of Massachusetts amherst
univ of Illinois Chicago

i got admitted into univ of Illinois Chicago "conditionally". i applied through sophas and had not submitted 60$ international application fee. what they are asking me now is to pay that fee and they will send my admission letter.

now here is the big question
  1. how is univ of UIC compared to UMASS & UAB ?
  2. I have tuition wavier at UMASS, does UIC make anything ground breaking worth 10,000$
  3. what i am looking for is a univ. with good research, which i can add up when i am applying for my residency. does UIC serve my purpose?

profile:
1)I completed my MBBS. with 61% marks on aggregate with no backlogs
2) My toefl score was 263(cbt, with writing 4.0)
3) My gre scores are 1100 (verbal 370, quant 730)

I had also done various research projects in my college, most are them are field based.i also has 1year internship work experience(including 2 months rural work experience background)

admitted till now:

univ of Alabama Birmingham.
univ of Massachusetts amherst
univ of Illinois Chicago

i got admitted into univ of Illinois Chicago "conditionally". i applied through sophas and had not submitted 60$ international application fee. what they are asking me now is to pay that fee and they will send my admission letter.

now here is the big question
  1. how is univ of UIC compared to UMASS & UAB ?
  2. I have tuition wavier at UMASS, does UIC make anything ground breaking worth 10,000$
  3. what i am looking for is a univ. with good research, which i can add up when i am applying for my residency. does UIC serve my purpose?

Rejected from:
Yale- Social and Behavioural Sciences (March 16)- by mail

I think it's really important to apply to a program that you're passionate about bcos so far I've gotten into programs that my essay showed I was passionate about, but not into one that while I was interested in, I didn't really have a passion for.
And knowing this, it still sucks to be rejected from anywhere really. It's like "you've shown us who you are but meh, we don't really like/want you."

Good luck all.

Sorry to hear that you did not get in at Yale. However, you have 3 great programs to chose from...Keep the faith!

In at Yale (3/19) via phone but sent to address in the states and i am in England, oh well. if anyone is going to epidemiology of microbial diseases at Yale for fall of '07--let me know.

UMich Epi (3/20) E-Mail
UMich Health Management & Policy (sometime earlier this month)

Now time to decide on Epi or HMP...

Accepted to UAB SOPH as an MD/MPH in Epi. Got a letter.

my first (and hopefully not only? =\) acceptance:
University of Pittsburgh-Infectious Disease and Microbiology 3/27

my first (and hopefully not only? =\) acceptance:
University of Pittsburgh-Infectious Disease and Microbiology 3/27

Kristy - I know you've been waiting on tenterhooks, so congrats! Hopefully more good news will follow.

yeah Kristy congrats! now that you have one in your pocket...they should just keep on coming!