academic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most pathology residents I have talked to are really interrested in teaching. Is this a common trend?

Members don't see this ad.

tennik said:
Most pathology residents I have talked to are really interrested in teaching. Is this a common trend?

Some of the most memorable teachers in med school were pathologists. They inspired a love of teaching within me as well.

My question is really: do people go into pathology to teach. Also, is a major motivation to go into pathology to ensure a life of learning.

Members don't see this ad :)
tennik said:
My question is really: do people go into pathology to teach. Also, is a major motivation to go into pathology to ensure a life of learning.
i personally don't feel that teaching is the primary motive for a person to go into pathology. many fields in medicine afford themselves to teaching. medicine is all about mental masturbation...and teaching.

then there's the life of learning issue. i think this is a significant factor to those pursuing pathology. but people have different reasons. for some people, lifestyle is also a significant factor. for others, research is a big factor. then you have those who love dead people and hate living things. i don't know...everybody's different.

Gotta love those dead people. Just wondering, are you going into Path?

When a pathologist talks about research are they typically referring to population studies, or basic sciece?

tennik said:
Gotta love those dead people. Just wondering, are you going into Path?

When a pathologist talks about research are they typically referring to population studies, or basic sciece?

yup, me be going into path all the way...interviewing as we speak (well not literally, although i just finished one today).

research - roughly falls into 3 loose categories: clinical, translational, and basic science. pathologists can do all different kinds of research, very flexible, part of the appeal.

me personally, i'm basic science all the way baby!

flindophile said:
Can you give a couple of examples of what you consider clinical and translational research in pathology? Can you recommend a journal or two that focus on these areas?
I would say that the American Journal of Pathology has a good mix of clinical and translational research articles. Cancer Research is a bit more translational but that's just my take on things. My background has more emphasis on basic science research so that's my bias.

Clinical research tends to focus on populations, epidemiology, empiricism and statistics. Basic science research tends to hone in more on the molecular basis and mechanisms behind disease processes. Translational research attempts to bridge the two. That is a simplistic but not all-inclusive way of looking at things. Whereas good quality basic science research will be publised in journals such as Cell, Science, Nature, JCB, JCS, JBC, etc., good clinical papers tend to be published in journals such as JAMA, CR, AJP, etc. Now that I think of it, I like to look at JCI as a great place to see some of the cutting edge translational/basic science research being published these days. I'm sure that there are other journals that fit into these categories but the above journals are the ones that I subscribe to.

Hey hey! Careful how you use that word around here, fella! :laugh:

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

academic (Murray: ækade.mik)(IPA: æk'dmIk), a. and sb. [ad. med.L. academic-us, Fr. académique.]

A. Adj

Not leading to a decision; unpractical; theoretical, formal, or conventional.

1886 Times 31 Mar. 7/2 This discussion partook of an academic character, for it was well understood that, whatever the result of the discussions might be, no practical step would be taken in the present Parliament. 1888 H. JAMES in Scribner's Mag. IV. 73/1 Mr. Wendover asked her if she liked English society and if it was superior to American..; she thought his questions `academic'-the term she used to see applied in the Times to certain speeches in Parliament. 1897 D. G. HOGARTH Philip & Alex. of Macedon i. 85 Since the references..to the Olynthian war are in the last degree meagre and vague, and those to Philip merely general, the Olynthiacs would possess for the historian only an academic interest. 1901 C. ELIOT in Foreign Office Confid. Print Ser., E. Africa lxviii. xi (30 Nov.) 7 North of Mount Elgon..the frontier should proceed in a straight line.., but at present the point seems to be of purely academic interest, as we are not likely to extend our effective Administration to this district. 1929 H. G. WELLS King who was King vi. Sect.2. 198 All this discussion, Sirs, is- academic. The war has begun already. 1931 Economist 21 Nov. 961/2 The results of the elections can only be of academic interest, as there were no Opposition candidates. 1957 Times 19 Nov. 11/2 If Russia's rockets can do what Mr. Khrushchev claims they can the blocking of American ports would surely be academic.

-X

tennik said:

xanthines said:
Hey hey! Careful how you use that word around here, fella! :laugh:

From the Oxford English Dictionary:

academic (Murray: ækade.mik)(IPA: æk'dmIk), a. and sb. [ad. med.L. academic-us, Fr. académique.]

Leave the french out of this!

Lots of people want to teach...I think the weird thing is that a lot of these people are really ill suited towards teaching, and perhaps they simply want to teach to get it on their resume or be called a professor or something. Oddly, you don't really have to pass any kind of test in order to teach in med school, you just have to have the academic appointment and be willing to teach.