Academic vs. Private Practice Lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liv2dream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide between the two settings. Obviously pros and cons to both, but for me right now, work/life balance is #1 and I don't really know which would be the better choice? Are you in academics or PP and what are your work hours/vacation time? thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're slow or inefficient at work, you'll spend more time at work each day. Amount of vacation varies by individual practice, not by practice setting. In my experience, those that have it really good aren't going to make a public service announcement about it for obvious reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Generally small and rural have a better lifestyle. In larger private practices or universities, expect to work your a** off. Every place is different though, and you need to evaluate each place separately and not decide anything based on half true generalizations.
People often put more research into their Amazon purchases than in the job they take or the spouse they choose.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to decide between the two settings. Obviously pros and cons to both, but for me right now, work/life balance is #1 and I don't really know which would be the better choice? Are you in academics or PP and what are your work hours/vacation time? thanks in advance :)

Choose based on the colleagues. These are the people who will either make your work life awesome or suck horrendously.

Reactions: 2 users
Academia at a place that pays a decent salary relative to sign out expectation is a good place to start.

you should have a good perspective of life in academia since you are in training. Does the life of your jr attendings look appealing?

After a stint in academia, getting some sign out experience, that will make you more competitive for non-academic jobs. In some markets the only option for a fresh grad is academia btw.

if you do start out in an academic job try not to pigeon hole yourself too much by limiting your sign out. Ideally sign out at least two sub-specialities and if there is a general sign out opportunity in academia this is best for a later transition to non-academic job. General sign out is getting more scarce as more academic dept’s continue to adopt sub-speciality model. But most mid and smaller academic depts have to have attendings cover multiple sub-specialities b/c of numbers. Also try to keep up with your CP if possible - again could be useful later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
As mentioned, every job is different in terms of pay and time off. To me, one of the biggest differences is the need to teach and do research in academics. I'm not interested in either, so I never considered it.

Reactions: 2 users
I recommend you listen to New England . He/she really seems to know their way around the block.

Reactions: 1 users
My advice: Do a fellowship for the experience. Makes a difference. I've hired straight AP / CP and fellowship trained pathologists in private practice and would only hire fellowship trained in the future, hands down.

Private practice you need to be AP/CP certified to be a medical director. If you can't do that, a lovely option is to hide in academics looking a the few GI biopsies that straggle in.

Politics in both places can be a nightmare. Choose wisely.

Always have plan B and C on hand.

Read some of LaDoc's and other's posts on this as well as diversifying as a pathologist, they are insightful.

FYI, the local VA has 4 pathologists doing the workload I handle by myself. Beware if the VA is your first job, I would venture to say it should be an end game, but my 0.02

I have been shocked to see how little work VA pathologists do in my area. Been on CAP inspections at some VAs in Midwest. I don't understand why they don't consolidate these places and save money. Would be bored out of my mind working at a VA.

Yup I remember some of the pathologists when they weren’t on service kicking back and reading newspapers in their office.

People often put more research into their Amazon purchases than in the job they take or the spouse they choose.

Very wise words grasshopper and absolutely true.

Okay why did I not work in that lab! 96k on strip clubs? At 15 bucks a lap dance, you are talking 6400 lap dances. Sixty-four HUNDRED. That is 320 hours of straight lap dances. Literally over 13 days straight of having a stripper grind on you.

He maybe a criminal but to some he is a saint.

with that money you could get laid by a hooker in some countries 1,920 times. You’d make Tiger Woods look like a chump.

with that money you could get laid by a hooker in some countries 1,920 times. You’d make Tiger Woods look like a chump.

From what I've heard, that would last ~475 times in Australia, assuming each "session" is one hour.

Yes it's legal here...