academic interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luvtrauma

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what is the average step 1 score to get an interview at an academic (university) general surgery program?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by luvtrauma
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what is the average step 1 score to get an interview at an academic (university) general surgery program?

Really depends. Ignoring all other factors and focusing only on scores, I have generally heard the number 215. However, there are modifying factors. I have seen individuals obtain interviews at good name academic programs and well regarded community programs with scores <200 because they had excellent letters, publications, masters/PhD, or some other type of modifying life experience. In addition, there are academic programs and there are ACADEMIC PROGRAMS. Some programs are "low tier academic" and some are "high tier". It really does depend. You should obtain reasonable interviews if your scores are >215. However, you can still get interviews and match academic if your scores are <215 and everything else is solid and you apply smartly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input. I am going to apply this summer and there has been a wide variation in my schools previous class on where they interviewed, mached and the range of their board scores. I appreciate the advice

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang in there. While it sounds like a lie, it is true when people say, "scores aren't everything". Some programs do however use "filters" based on minimum scores. But, you can sometimes overcome those filters simply with a well placed phone call...sometimes by you sometimes it will need to be an attending.

Skylizard,
Tell us the names of the programs that might grant interviews to applicants with <200 board scores although other stats (GPA, postgrad degree, strong LORs) are strong.

From what I've been told, there are some powerhouse academic programs out there (e.g. Duke, MGH, Brigham, UCSF) that require high USMLE scores. The reason being that these programs get so many high-quality applicants with multiple publications, advanced degrees (M.S./Ph.D.), extensive research experience, glowing letters of rec, AOA status, etc that they often use the objective USMLE score to differentiate between how they finally rank candidates for the match (e.g. If two candidates are similar in research experience, publications, LORs, grades, interview performance, etc then their score on the USMLE will often determine which candidate is placed above the other on the program's ranking list).

Originally posted by LRingers
Skylizard,
Tell us the names of the programs that might grant interviews to applicants with <200 board scores although other stats (GPA, postgrad degree, strong LORs) are strong.

I can not name any CURRENT programs off the top of my head. Things have changed some what as indicated by the match results this year.

I can speak to what happened two match seasons ago and name a few programs. At that time, I was more aware of the over all environment as I was in med-school and running with the Gsurgery crowd. In speaking with friends and what not, I will name just a couple of programs I have heard of that have offered interviews in the PAST (2 years ago or so)to individuals with good aps and low boards:

interviews for <200
1. Uof Michigan
2. Penn State (Hershey)
3. Texas Tech Lubbock
4. Henry Ford

Again, this is definately a moving target and it will change every year. This is a ~1-2 year old list. If you get an interview with <200 boards it might be due to letters, it might be due to publications, or you may have to "know someone" or have a phone call made for you. I doubt this list is accurate or current. The bottom line, if you have boards >215 you stand a reasonable chance of getting some decent interviews at a nice mix of programs both academic and community. If <200, your not out of the running for everything, but you do have to be more strategic and may likely require the efforts of others to get your doors opened. I think if you have <200 step I you need to be reasonable. Remember, interview does not equal match. I hesitate to even list those programs because even if you were to apply and receive an interview, you likely would not be ranked high unless you brought something special to the table. It wouldn't be impossible especially if you got the interview. But, it would be an uphill battle you would likely loose. I think you shouldn't waste your time with this outdated list. You need to get a feel for the current environment and your advisors at school will likely be able to stear you towards realistic programs. Also, you may have to prove yourself in a pre-liminary spot if your board scores are low. If you do not match categorical and must go the preliminary route, I encourage you to seek out a program that has a track record of working strong prelims into categorical spots.