This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The thinker guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the fall semester of junior year (currently junior in spring semester) I was caught for colluding on online homework and was given a 0 for those assignments. One of my close family members had just passed away and had struck me in a way I had never felt before. I was very depressed and it was even hard to get out of bed in the morning.During this time my girlfriend was logging in to submit the answers that we had already worked out on paper. She was doing this behind my back but was just trying to help me out. Anywise when he accused us I knew nothing about it and she confessed everything. Long story short he didn't believe her, he thought that she was just trying to protect me and he filled out an academic dishonesty report form. Nothing went on my transcript nor was I put on probation. Should I report this on my app this June? Will this hurt my chances of getting in? I have a 3.76 gap, 3.75 sgpa 500 hours of shadowing 500 hour of volunteering, many letters of rec, and research.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In the fall semester of junior year (currently junior in spring semester) I was caught for colluding on online homework and was given a 0 for those assignments. One of my close family members had just passed away and had struck me in a way I had never felt before. I was very depressed and it was even hard to get out of bed in the morning.During this time my girlfriend was logging in to submit the answers that we had already worked out on paper. She was doing this behind my back but was just trying to help me out. Anywise when he accused us I knew nothing about it and she confessed everything. Long story short he didn't believe her, he thought that she was just trying to protect me and he filled out an academic dishonesty report form. Nothing went on my transcript nor was I put on probation. Should I report this on my app this June? Will this hurt my chances of getting in? I have a 3.80 gap, 3.75 sgpa 300 hours of shadowing 150 hour of volunteering, many letters of rec, research and 20 AA on the DAT.
If there's no record of it, I don't think you would need to disclose it. Are you absolutely sure nothing was recorded though?

Reactions: 1 user
Their was a report sent to student affairs office, so if a dental school calls I believe that the university would give out the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure if it is or isnt on your permanent record, transcripts, anything. This is very important. If it is not, dont disclose it.

Upon admissions, some schools require students to sign some papers so your undergrad university can release these types of violations. Although it is not noted on your transcript nor was on probation, your school may have an internal record in their system. I wouldn't risk any chance.

Upon admissions, some schools require students to sign some papers so your undergrad university can release these types of violations. Although it is not noted on your transcript nor was on probation, your school may have an internal record in their system. I wouldn't risk any chance.
Yeah. I was going to say the same thing. Depending on how AADSAS words it (I can't remember and didn't feel like looking it up), you would have to disclose it regardless of if it is on your transcript. Having a mark against you for academic dishonesty is bad. Being dishonest about your academic dishonesty is worse. I can understand trying to avoid it because it can hurt your application, but getting caught not reporting it would absolutely destroy your application.

Yeah. I was going to say the same thing. Depending on how AADSAS words it (I can't remember and didn't feel like looking it up), you would have to disclose it regardless of if it is on your transcript. Having a mark against you for academic dishonesty is bad. Being dishonest about your academic dishonesty is worse. I can understand trying to avoid it because it can hurt your application, but getting caught not reporting it would absolutely destroy your application.
Do you think I still have a shot at getting accepted anywhere?

Do you think I still have a shot at getting accepted anywhere?
As long as you maintain good grades and be remorseful of your past action, you will be fine. There are a lot of schools that believe in second chances, and we're also living in a world where forgiveness exists! Good luck.

Thank you for the replay's, does anybody else have any comments? Also does anybody know anyone that has had an misconduct and has got accepted?

Thank you for the replay's, does anybody else have any comments? Also does anybody know anyone that has had an misconduct and has got accepted?
You have a right under FERPA to access your disciplinary record from your university. You should request it and see for yourself before you put anything on your application. By the way, aren't you claiming here that your professor is wrong and that you didn't commit academic dishonesty?

And yes, I've heard of such people. It's not the end of the world, but it certainly hurts your chances.

You have a right under FERPA to access your disciplinary record from your university. You should request it and see for yourself before you put anything on your application. By the way, aren't you claiming here that your professor is wrong and that you didn't commit academic dishonesty?

And yes, I've heard of such people. It's not the end of the world, but it certainly hurts your chances.

Well any professor who is a decent human, would have not have gave an a academic dishonesty to a person who had no idea that it was even going on, in addition my girlfriend completely confessed to it. There was 100's of homework problems, how would I notice if a couple of them were entered?

Well any professor who is a decent human, would have not have gave an a academic dishonesty to a person who had no idea that it was even going on, in addition my girlfriend completely confessed to it. There was 100's of homework problems, how would I notice if a couple of them were entered?

Can you really blame him, though? How believable do you think your version of events is?

Can you really blame him, though? How believable do you think your version of events is?

So thinker guy, I'm sure you're being honest with your story. You have no reason to lie here.

But step back and look at the story from the outside. Just like Feralis said, it's a hard sale to believe that your gf was sneaking your assignments to put the answers online. Remember that professors are dealing with academic dishonesty all the time and have heard thousands of excuses/lies. If you do report it, I would just own it and claim ignorance that you couldn't collaborate. Again, from the outside, it SEEMS like you're just passing the blame onto your gf.

However, I'm pretty sure AADSAS only asks if your studies were interrupted or if you were suspended due to probation or academic dishonesty. Read the question carefully and answer honestly. If you weren't placed on probation, then answer no.

To me, without any formal disciplinary action from the school, it sounds like you just got "Strike 1" and nothing put on your record. Like other have said, go ask the registrar for your official record. And for hell's sake, don't let your girlfriend mess up again.

So thinker guy, I'm sure you're being honest with your story. You have no reason to lie here.

But step back and look at the story from the outside. Just like Feralis said, it's a hard sale to believe that your gf was sneaking your assignments to put the answers online. Remember that professors are dealing with academic dishonesty all the time and have heard thousands of excuses/lies. If you do report it, I would just own it and claim ignorance that you couldn't collaborate. Again, from the outside, it SEEMS like you're just passing the blame onto your gf.

However, I'm pretty sure AADSAS only asks if your studies were interrupted or if you were suspended due to probation or academic dishonesty. Read the question carefully and answer honestly. If you weren't placed on probation, then answer no.

To me, without any formal disciplinary action from the school, it sounds like you just got "Strike 1" and nothing put on your record. Like other have said, go ask the registrar for your official record. And for hell's sake, don't let your girlfriend mess up again.
I checked into it, he did submit a report of it, we received zeros for the homework that she had inputted my answers to. But nothing went on my transcript, and there was no suspension or probation that we received. But there is a report of it, so what do you think I should do? And believe me there is not a minute I don't think about what happened, I wish I did do something wrong because I would be the first one to admit it. I was so extremely depressed and it was the lowest part of my life to date. It just suck's because I have worked so hard and have such a passion for dentistry I don't want this to ruin my chances over something I really didn't know what going on. My gf was just trying to help, yes it was wrong, but I have forgave her.

So, here's the exact AADSAS language:
Have you ever been found to have violated a school rule, policy or procedure, or an honor code; or have you otherwise been disqualified, put on probation, suspended, dismissed, expelled, or otherwise been subject to disciplinary action at any college/university in connection to misconduct? Please include any and all instances of misconduct, regardless of whether the school maintains a record of such misconduct or formal action, or whether it appears on your transcript.

According to that language, I would include it.

Now you need to find a decent way to present/explain your violation. Were you aware that collaborative work was prohibited?

Even though it's really what happened, I wouldn't go with a "my gf did this" narrative. There's too many problems with that.
- Why were you/she even looking for online collaboration?
- Why did you give her your login/password?
- How did her posting your answers help you with the homework?
Unfortunately, for professors that deal with cheating all the time, your circumstances come off as an attempt to lie about it.

I would answer yes to the AADSAS question. Then just own it and say that you were collaborating with other students to complete homework. If it's true, say that you didn't understand why online collaboration was different than study groups and that you were doing the work and just trying to understand the material the best you can.

But nothing went on my transcript, and there was no suspension or probation that we received.
Those things don't go on your transcript in the first place. Universities keep a separate disciplinary record in some form, which your dental school will request from your university once they accept you. That's what you need to look into. You usually have to file a special request with your deans or registrar to see your own record.