Abstracts at the Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilgecko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year I presented some work that I was involved in at a national conference. I have copies of the abstracts from the presentations, but the work has not been published yet.

Assuming that an interviewer asks me to discuss the work, how would it seem if at the end of my reply I asked if s/he would like copies of the abstracts to add to my file? (I would bring the copies with me to the interview.)

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. Bring EVERYTHING you thing they might even be remotely interested in to your interview. And if they don't happen to ask, OFFER it. It's your interview; you're not limited to subjects they bring up.

The more they know about you, the better. They can't know if it isn't in your file. The worst they can do then is ignore it. :)

I've brought documents outlining my school experience (I'm a post-bacc and although of course they have my AMCAS app, it's confusing because of the layout), good essays I've written for other schools' applications, new letters of recommendation and, now that I've got them, I will bring copies of my grades for this past semester. (You can mail these things as well, of course, but it makes a bigger impact if you hand them over at the interview. Also you are showing how prepared you are.)

Good luck!

Along this same line should you submit copies of publications where you're listed as an author with your supplemental or bring it with you to the interview? So many schools discourage sending additional materials that I've shied away from enclosing reprints. What's your opinion?

I do like your idea of having it with you on interview day.

Cheers!
rmp