Absolutely messed up Sub-I... stressed out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYABC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit: thanks everyone! I will remain calm and wait for my grade. Appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You lost me. While your disappointment at not receiving Honors is palpable, exactly how is receiving Honors on 6 evaluations, being told you are being actively recruited for the program, and maybe receiving a HP for the rotation "throwing away an entire application"?

What am I missing? I think everything will change with respect to how the program feels about you if you try to appeal the grade, so I would strongly advise against doing that no matter what.

Reactions: 2 users
Have you even received your grade yet? I certainly wouldn't go out planning to appeal a grade that was totally explained to you on how it was going to be given. Unless you fail the rotation, I think you should accept your grade and move on. One bad grade won't kill you if the rest of you app is good.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which specialty are we talking about? Appealing the grade would almost certainly do more harm than good. I highly doubt that one below-honors grade on a sub-I will bar you from entering a particular specialty, especially if the rest of your application is solid.

By the way, never believe any PD who tells you that you're "being actively recruited" for their program. After every match, there are countless stories about applicants being buttered up and courted by PDs, only to be disappointed on match day. Don't fall for the mind games.

Reactions: 4 users
Which specialty are we talking about? Appealing the grade would almost certainly do more harm than good. I highly doubt that one below-honors grade on a sub-I will bar you from entering a particular specialty, especially if the rest of your application is solid.

By the way, never believe any PD who tells you that you're "being actively recruited" for their program. After every match, there are countless stories about applicants being buttered up and courted by PDs, only to be disappointed on match day. Don't fall for the mind games.
Oh I totally agree, I take it with a HUGE grain of salt, but it was just a piece of additional support for why I felt I had messed up.

The rest of my application is decent and the specialty is mid-range in competitiveness (Gen surg). I recognize I am probably getting too worked up over this, but it's hard when I read about Honoring a Sub-I as being expected and I did bust my butt on it to get great evaluations.