Sub-I’s vs Aways

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkBluMage

M3
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year student here and I’m trying to understand the differences but not finding much information. During a general meeting advice was given that students should start finding opportunities for Sub I’s in their 3rd year. I don’t know the difference between that and aways nor do I know about how to go about setting up one at another institution. Can anyone provide insight please?

Members don't see this ad.

sub-i's are at home institution

away rotations are essentially sub-i's, but at other institutions (hence away) and you apply through VSLO

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's perhaps a bit more nuanced than that.

SubI's are "sub internships". They are rotations in which you take on the responsibilities of an intern. Usually you have a lower patient count (since you can't actually sign anything) but you're responsible for seeing and evaluating patients. Usually these are inpatient although they can be outpatient.

Other 4th year rotations can be electives. These are usually more laid back, often subspecialty based, either on an inpatient consult service or an outpatient clinic (or both).

Aways are rotations done at other sites. They can be SubI's or electives, depending on how they are sturctured. Your home medical school may not allow them to be called Sub-I's if they are done somewhere else.

Reactions: 4 users
It's perhaps a bit more nuanced than that.

SubI's are "sub internships". They are rotations in which you take on the responsibilities of an intern. Usually you have a lower patient count (since you can't actually sign anything) but you're responsible for seeing and evaluating patients. Usually these are inpatient although they can be outpatient.

Other 4th year rotations can be electives. These are usually more laid back, often subspecialty based, either on an inpatient consult service or an outpatient clinic (or both).

Aways are rotations done at other sites. They can be SubI's or electives, depending on how they are sturctured. Your home medical school may not allow them to be called Sub-I's if they are done somewhere else.
Is it better to do a sub-I or an elective at a specific place you’re trying to match? I’m trying to set myself up with the best chances to match back home, which isn’t where my medical school is.

Hypothetically, doing well in a sub-I should increase your chances more than an elective. However, if you do poorly in a sub-I, I suppose it could possibly lower your chances more since it will likely have exposed more of how you work in direct patient care over an elective. That depends on the understanding of your evaluators as well.

Is it better to do a sub-I or an elective at a specific place you’re trying to match? I’m trying to set myself up with the best chances to match back home, which isn’t where my medical school is.
Agree with @Dral. If you do a Sub I where you want to match, you will want to put forth your best effort and shine.