ABP, then practice in Ireland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notetote1111

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How often or difficult is it for Canadians or Americans who go to Ireland for medical school to eventually practice there as well?

It seems like securing US/CAN residencies are hard for Irish grads or other IMGs. Is it even harder to get Irish residencies for non-Irish medical grads?

Members don't see this ad.

do a search on this forum. This question has come up time and time again. While all IMGs have to think about the possibility of difficulty in returning to the US/Canada for residency, it doesn't seem too many Irish grads have extraordinary trouble doing so. I also know of plenty American/Canadian students who chose to stay here for internship and progression to residency, so it is an option, but preference would be given to Irish and EU employees. It wouldn't be hard to intern here, but may be harder to progress through the ranks.

notetote1111 said:
How often or difficult is it for Canadians or Americans who go to Ireland for medical school to eventually practice there as well?

It seems like securing US/CAN residencies are hard for Irish grads or other IMGs. Is it even harder to get Irish residencies for non-Irish medical grads?

Whoa, short question but needs a long answer. I'll do my best to be brief.

First of all, if you more or less have an idea by the time you start to do electives (4th and 5th Med) of what it is you want to do when u practise, then you can certainly go to schools to do electives in that field. That way, the staff will get to know and like you and you'll have a better chance of getting in there. This is especially true for the States. Also for the States, what really matters is your USMLE score. If you do well enuf, virtually any school will accept you for a residency. In Canada, doing well on your MCCQE will also help you getting a residency BUT there are very few spots in Canada for IMGs so most choose the 'back-door' of doing a US residency.

As for Ireland, the system is totally different. First you go through your intern year. The Irish gov't claims that there will be an intern post available for anyone graduating from an irish medical school, regardless of citizenship. After your intern year you need to get into a program as an SHO to do further training. Then you become a registrar. Then you become a consultant. This process can be excruiatingly long (by N.Amer. standards), especially if you do not want to leave Dublin. Also, as far as I know, these post-intern spots are alotted in the following way: Irish citizens, then EU citizens and then non-EU citizens. Although, it is stated that no preference will be taken on EU vs Irish citizens, this may not hold true in practise. That all being said, i think if you got in good with a doc that you wanted to continue training under and he was all for it, then it probably wouldn't matter if you were from the dark side of the moon....

-- As far as getting into Ireland without going to an irish medical school, you'd have to investigate that further with the Royal College of Physicians in Ireland and/or on the irish gov't help page http://www.oasis.gov.ie

Well, like i said, this is pretty brief, but i hope it helps you out a bit....