ABCN Written Exam Practice Exam Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pcpsych

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen similar threads for the EPPP, so I figured I'd start one for the ABCN written exam for the neuropsychologists on this thread. For those who have already passed the exam, does anyone know what range we should be scoring in on practice exams to be ready for the real thing? From reading past BRAIN materials, I think it used to be something like 70%, but I'm not sure if that's still true.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, 70% sounds right (at least for the "real deal," which I think also applies to the practice exams) and the Stucky book (which I think now has a 2nd edition?) was very helpful for studying.
Perfect! I used the 2nd edition of the Stucky book for the bulk of my studying but supplemented with other texts. Now to see how everything shakes out via the online proctoring through Examity!

Perfect! I used the 2nd edition of the Stucky book for the bulk of my studying but supplemented with other texts. Now to see how everything shakes out via the online proctoring through Examity!
It's not administered through PSI?

I found that the practice exams varied a lot in content - BRAIN tests were oddly specific on some things and quite outdated, and I took it before the second Stucky book came out with the additional exams. So, might be better to use them to guide what content areas you need to review rather than overall preparedness.

It's not administered through PSI?

I found that the practice exams varied a lot in content - BRAIN tests were oddly specific on some things and quite outdated, and I took it before the second Stucky book came out with the additional exams. So, might be better to use them to guide what content areas you need to review rather than overall preparedness.
No, it is now only being offered virtually for the near future, presumably due to the pandemic. The proctoring service is via Examity/Surpass. I have more anxiety about that than about the actual exam at this point, but I'm sure the board is working extra hard to make it all run smoothly.

I've seen similar threads for the EPPP, so I figured I'd start one for the ABCN written exam for the neuropsychologists on this thread. For those who have already passed the exam, does anyone know what range we should be scoring in on practice exams to be ready for the real thing? From reading past BRAIN materials, I think it used to be something like 70%, but I'm not sure if that's still true.
Hi everyone! Does anyone have any practice exams they would be willing to share ASIDE from the Stucky books, or those on the BRAINN website? I tend to best on multiple choice exams by taking as many sample tests as possible and what we have available to us seems limited. Also, might be a long-shot but since we tend to overlap, does anyone on this thread have any information on the ABPP Forensic written exam (e.g., test prep materials aside from what's listed on their site)? Thanks so much!

For those who have taken this test recently-- how long after taking the test were you notified of results? Were you notified via mail or email?

For those who have taken this test recently-- how long after taking the test were you notified of results? Were you notified via mail or email?
I took the exam last May (one of the last days of that exam period) and was notified via email on June 23 (so about 1 month from when I took it).

I took the exam last May (one of the last days of that exam period) and was notified via email on June 23 (so about 1 month from when I took it).
Thanks! This is helpful. It debunks my theory that maybe they notified everyone who took the test at the same time (which might mean 4 weeks for those who took it early, and less wait time for those who took it later in the exam period).

4 weeks exactly after the exam closed. I too took it during the holidays so that probably didn't help in terms of turnaround.

This may be a dumb question, but on the ABCN exam, are you allowed to go back and review your responses/questions prior to submitting?
Yes, you're able to flag questions as you go through it to review at the end, and I think you may be able to review the whole thing if desired (it's been a few years since I sat for it).

I don’t know about these fancy computer based tests, but my regular scores on the word doc tests were in the 80s.

Yes, you're able to flag questions as you go through it to review at the end, and I think you may be able to review the whole thing if desired (it's been a few years since I sat for it).
Perfect! I just took an exam where I wasn't allowed to go back or change my answers and it was awful. Pretty sure I failed because I didn't realize I couldn't go back until like 30 questions in. I've never taken an exam where it wasn't an option until now. I'm hoping to do the ABCN exam sometime next year and was just curious.

Perfect! I just took an exam where I wasn't allowed to go back or change my answers and it was awful. Pretty sure I failed because I didn't realize I couldn't go back until like 30 questions in. I've never taken an exam where it wasn't an option until now. I'm hoping to do the ABCN exam sometime next year and was just curious.
While this may make no difference, I believe the ABCN exam is now being offered virtually and not at a testing center. Not sure if this is for everyone or is state or jurisdiction specific.

I would double check with someone who is taking the exam this year (2022) about your question, just in case different software is being used for the virtual exam administration.

I took the exam in May 2021 at a testing center and was allowed that option.

While this may make no difference, I believe the ABCN exam is now being offered virtually and not at a testing center. Not sure if this is for everyone or is state or jurisdiction specific.

I would double check with someone who is taking the exam this year (2022) about your question, just in case different software is being used for the virtual exam administration.

I took the exam in May 2021 at a testing center and was allowed that option.
After some digging, I was able to find the manual for the virtual exam administration and it does allow examinees to flag items and go back to previous questions, which makes logical sense. I don't understand why an exam wouldn't allow it, but here we are haha

Interesting that they are offering it virtually now. Back when I took it I had to go through all sorts of security just to leave and return from the bathroom. We were able to go back and change answers years ago at the testing center.