AAMC P/S Section bank #48 help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone please explain why B is wrong and D is a better choice?
This was my reasoning process:
I read the question and felt that it was about how doctors establish a relationship with their patients and make sure that its a pleasant one - showing empathy and thinking about how to handle any disagreements. I know exchange rational choice theory is how people think about their actions and want to ensure that they maximize social inclusion and minimize rejection -- they want to maintain harmonious social relations and avoid any conflict. and so I felt like B best answers the question.
when I examined D, I felt like this doesn't have much to do with the given info. symbolic interactionism is the process of people assigning meaning to things based on their interactions with others and this can influence their actions, and meanings can change. the only part of the question that may relate to D is doctors trying to navigate disagreements, which can arise from different meanings patient and doctor can have. But as a whole, B seemed to address the question more thoroughly.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 9.38.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 9.38.17 AM.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 99
I read the question and felt that it was about how doctors establish a relationship with their patients and make sure that its a pleasant one - showing empathy and thinking about how to handle any disagreements. I know exchange rational choice theory is how people think about their actions and want to ensure that they maximize social inclusion and minimize rejection -- they want to maintain harmonious social relations and avoid any conflict. and so I felt like B best answers the question.

I don't think this is stated in the question. The question talks about a study that observes how providers interact with patients. It doesn't mention about the reasons for doing so, which means the cost-benefit analysis in rational choice theory doesn't apply here.

Symbolic interactionism focuses on communication and social interactions between groups of people.

when I examined D, I felt like this doesn't have much to do with the given info. symbolic interactionism is the process of people assigning meaning to things based on their interactions with others and this can influence their actions, and meanings can change. the only part of the question that may relate to D is doctors trying to navigate disagreements, which can arise from different meanings patient and doctor can have. But as a whole, B seemed to address the question more thoroughly.

And that's what the study is focusing on because empathy, rapport and disagreement are all descriptors of the interactions between providers and patients.

Symbolic interactionism - Wikipedia

The wiki states that: three assumptions frame symbolic interactionism:
  • Individuals construct meaning via the communication process.
  • Self-concept is a motivation for behavior.
  • A unique relationship exists between the individual and society.
So to keep things simple: symbolic interactionism focuses on social interactions and communication between groups of people. Rational choice theory focuses on cost-benefit analysis. I'd pick the choice that's most closely aligned to what's stated in the question.