AAFAO course for internal fixation and reconstruction sx + trauma of F&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyAnklesAreBroken

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking about signing up for this course in November.
American Academy of Foot and ankle osteosynthesis comprehensive course. Can anyone attest to its usefulness/legitimacy? Thanks

American Academy of Foot and Ankle Osteosynthesis - Comprehensive Course Information

http://www.aafao.org/pdfs/Agenda_Generic_Comprehensive Course_2018.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

It's essentially AO Basic and AO Advanced.

Basic is a waste of time unless you're a beginning PGY1. Advanced covers more interesting/relevant topics and I found it useful but I wish they had more lab time. If I hadn't attended I don't think it would have affected my overall training at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Like @josebiwasabi said, it depends on when you take it. If you take it PGY-1, especially if you do mostly off service rotations in your first year, it may have some usefulness, but the basic course is really mostly helpful in that taking it allows you to take the advanced course. If your program will pay for you to go, why not. If you have to pay for it yourself, then it depends on when you can take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year, will be 3rd year by time of course, program does pay for it.
My buddy did the AO basic course which he gave an eh to.

This comprehensive course by AAFAO I thought might be a better option vs the AO basic.

With the AAFAO can't do the the advanced without the comprehensive.

2nd year, will be 3rd year by time of course, program does pay for it.
My buddy did the AO basic course which he gave an eh to.

This comprehensive course by AAFAO I thought might be a better option vs the AO basic.

With the AAFAO can't do the the advanced without the comprehensive.
If you want some reinforcement of surgical basics, go for it. If you’re planning on taking the advanced course as well, take it. If you’re planning on going to learn some new things, probably not worth it at this point.

Edit: I say this as someone who took the AO basic course and AAFAO advanced course, just for reference.