AACPMAS 2018- 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys think it is too late to apply to barry? Their deadline is June 30th
That's in 3 months. You have time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to get in this cycle for the fall of 2019 but am currently retaking biochem and Gen Chem 1. Everything else is good to go but the grades don't come out until May 18th... Should I go ahead and submit my application or wait until the grades come out?

I am trying to get in this cycle for the fall of 2019 but am currently retaking biochem and Gen Chem 1. Everything else is good to go but the grades don't come out until May 18th... Should I go ahead and submit my application or wait until the grades come out?
Go ahead and apply, once accepted they will ask for the rest of your transcript

What is your GPA/MCAT? You can submit while they are in progress and still interview before grades come out.

Reactions: 1 user
cGpa is a 3.05 sGpa is 2.69 and mcat with 496.... What do you think

Tough call, but I would say go ahead and apply to the bigger schools now and mention your retakes (hopefully they are both going to be A or B). If you don’t get in just turn around and reapply in August.

I was averaging 501-504 on my practice and I tanked in real-time. Never count your eggs before they hatch I guess.

Ill go ahead and apply and see what happens. Only one way to find out I guess.

That changes things a bit.

The more picky schools are prolly out at this point. I could see you getting into multiple other schools tho

I really only want to get into Nycpm. I love the school and everything about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Which schools are easier to get into ? Or less picky one

Schools with the most seats. Kent, NYCPM, Temple, Barry I'd say are the easiest probably. Although temple has a screen.

What are your stats if you don’t mind sharing?
I will be done with a master in biomedical sciences in May. I have a 3.4 science and 3.5 non science.
But I have a very low MCAT 485. Lots of extracurricular activities and two international mission trips and research

What are your stats if you don’t mind sharing?
I am retaking the mcat in May but I am not sure if should apply with my current mcat score. I don’t want to waste a whole year to get in, that is why I am rushing to send everything now before the deadline. I live 10 min from Barry university so I would love to go there!

I will be done with a master in biomedical sciences in May. I have a 3.4 science and 3.5 non science.
But I have a very low MCAT 485. Lots of extracurricular activities and two international mission trips and research
What's your Masters GPA?

I am retaking the mcat in May but I am not sure if should apply with my current mcat score. I don’t want to waste a whole year to get in, that is why I am rushing to send everything now before the deadline. I live 10 min from Barry university so I would love to go there!

I think you should apply. You could still get in. Plenty of schools accept low mcat scores and your high GPA makes up for it.

Barry especially is known for low mcat averages so you should apply ASAP.

I think you should apply. You could still get in. Plenty of schools accept low mcat scores and your high GPA makes up for it.

Barry especially is known for low mcat averages so you should apply ASAP.
Thank you!!!

I don't think you'll get passed the autoscreen for temple. Good luck tho

We have very similar stats!! With my 485 MCAT, I applied to only 2 schools and got an invite from both schools. One of them is Barry!! I suggest you to apply ASAP. Good luck

We have very similar stats!! With my 485 MCAT, I applied to only 2 schools and got an invite from both schools. One of them is Barry!! I suggest you to apply ASAP. Good luck
Did you get in?

Did you get in?
Yes, I did! I already put my deposit for BUSPM class of 2023. FYI, I got an interview invite from Barry around 2 hours after my application was verified so I suggest you to apply asap. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Reactions: 2 users
I know I’m late to the game but wondering if it is worth applying... I have a 496 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, & 3.8 sGPA. 200 clinical hours shadowing MD & DO. I have a podiatrist to write me a LOR

I know I’m late to the game but wondering if it is worth applying... I have a 496 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, & 3.8 sGPA. 200 clinical hours shadowing MD & DO. I have a podiatrist to write me a LOR

Your stats are fine; submit everything asap. Shadow different pods to make sure this is what you want to do.

I’m interested in the schools in Ohio, Iowa, & Arizona. Do you think I could get in one of those?
If they have seats available (I think they still do), I am sure you will get an interview. Apps are processed pretty quickly so you can hear back with II within a week.

Yesterday I submitted my application for Temple, do you think I still have a shot? Do they still have seats? Mcat 516 gpa 3.87

Reactions: 2 users
Yesterday I submitted my application for Temple, do you think I still have a shot? Do they still have seats? Mcat 516 gpa 3.87

Yes, you will be more than fine. With those stats, you will be easily able to get in. They still have seats open I believe.

Yes, you will be more than fine. With those stats, you will be easily able to get in. They still have seats open I believe.

Thank your for your quick response, I sure hope so!

Thank your for your quick response, I sure hope so!

No problem! I am excited to be starting at Temple this fall. So if you have any other questions about the interview process, feel free to message me.

May I ask, why didn’t you apply MD/DO? With those stats, you’d get into DO at least. If it’s because you’re too late, then wait a year, do research, build your resume & then apply MD/DO.

Just curious, did you apply to medical school this cycle? Your stats will get you into any podiatry school with huge scholarships, why podiatry?

Dude, go to MD school.

So, I did apply to MD this year. I do not want to apply another cycle and believe I will be fulfilled with a career in podiatry. The idea of scholarships is also enticing.

Welcome to Temple! Idk why everyone is questioning your decision for podiatry, I got into DO school and still picked podiatry over it. No regrets so far. Good luck with your interview.

Reactions: 5 users
Welcome to Temple! Idk why everyone is questioning your decision for podiatry, I got into DO school and still picked podiatry over it. No regrets so far. Good luck with your interview.
Thank you for the encouragement!

Do you mind sharing why you chose podiatry over DO?

I shadowed a whole lot. Every primary care doctor I shadowed I thought was boringggggg. The nurses did all the hands on stuff (needles, strep test, blood work). Obvi its important work but I just thought it was a snooze fest. Anesthesia was cool for the first 15 mins and last 15 mins of the surgery but the hours in the middle, pretty boring. EM was pretty exciting tho, but a little too exciting for me and the shift work I wasn't a fan of.

I had foot surgery as a kid so I was always aware of podiatry although I didnt realize it wasnt an MD degree. I shadowed multiple podiatrist from a typical mustache pod to a highly surgical pod. I was never bored. Even with the typical nails,wounds, corns and calluses the mustache pod did you could talk to the patient while you did it and they come back like every month or so, so you got to catch up with them become apart of their life. But you also got all the procedures and surgeries I thought was cool. I personally think podiatry is the best specialty combo of ortho, derm, vascular with the patient interaction of a primary. Plus the feeling of giving instant relief is so rewarding. I never saw that during primary care.

With DO I realize there are other specialties but I feel like you have to be prepared to go into a primary care and I know that's not what I wanted to do the rest of my life so here I am. I only applied to 1 DO school my undergrad had a link to. I never applied to an MD school but if I would have and gotten in I would have gone there.

Also every type of doctor I shadowed except Anesthesia told me not to go into medicine. Especially a general surgeon I shadowed. Pods I shadowed seemed happy except the mustache pod who told me to be a PA. So that "stay away from this field" mentality is not unique to podiatry.

Reactions: 7 users
I shadowed a whole lot. Every primary care doctor I shadowed I thought was boringggggg. The nurses did all the hands on stuff (needles, strep test, blood work). Obvi its important work but I just thought it was a snooze fest. Anesthesia was cool for the first 15 mins and last 15 mins of the surgery but the hours in the middle, pretty boring. EM was pretty exciting tho, but a little too exciting for me and the shift work I wasn't a fan of.

I had foot surgery as a kid so I was always aware of podiatry although I didnt realize it wasnt an MD degree. I shadowed multiple podiatrist from a typical mustache pod to a highly surgical pod. I was never bored. Even with the typical nails,wounds, corns and calluses the mustache pod did you could talk to the patient while you did it and they come back like every month or so, so you got to catch up with them become apart of their life. But you also got all the procedures and surgeries I thought was cool. I personally think podiatry is the best specialty combo of ortho, derm, vascular with the patient interaction of a primary. Plus the feeling of giving instant relief is so rewarding. I never saw that during primary care.

With DO I realize there are other specialties but I feel like you have to be prepared to go into a primary care and I know that's not what I wanted to do the rest of my life so here I am. I only applied to 1 DO school my undergrad had a link to. I never applied to an MD school but if I would have and gotten in I would have gone there.

Also every type of doctor I shadowed except Anesthesia told me not to go into medicine. Especially a general surgeon I shadowed. Pods I shadowed seemed happy except the mustache pod who told me to be a PA. So that "stay away from this field" mentality is not unique to podiatry.

Yeah I agree. Few doctors told me not to go to med school & do PA instead because it was better hours, etc. One of them even told me not to go to med school to avoid lawsuits lol Didn’t hear that about podiatry but then again I only shadowed one. But he seemed very content with his lifestyle & has a house in nyc so I’m guessing he makes good money.

Does admissions usually send out interview invites late at night? I got an II at 9:59 PM on a Sunday, so i'm a little perplexed that someone was working on my application at that time. Unless this is their automated system sending out interviews at a scheduled time.

And I scheduled interviews back to back at different schools, 3/25 & 3/26. Is this even wise? lol

Does admissions usually send out interview invites late at night? I got an II at 9:59 PM on a Sunday, so i'm a little perplexed that someone was working on my application at that time. Unless this is their automated system sending out interviews at a scheduled time.

And I scheduled interviews back to back at different schools, 3/25 & 3/26. Is this even wise? lol

Can't speak on behalf of the II, just be glad you got your interview!

As for the back to back dates, depends on a lot of things, flight times, whether you'll get sleep before, etc. I personally flew at 5 am to 2 interviews separated by 3 days and did fine.

Yes, they can come really late at night. I had two interview invites come at almost midnight.

Can't speak on behalf of the II, just be glad you got your interview!

As for the back to back dates, depends on a lot of things, flight times, whether you'll get sleep before, etc. I personally flew at 5 am to 2 interviews separated by 3 days and did fine.
Yea i'm super happy about the interview invite! I just thought this stuff usually got sent out typically when the admission staff is at the school.
And how was your NYCPM interview? I heard it's more of a "serious" type when it comes around to the faculty interview. Any tips and was the sdn feedback useful when you interviewed?

For Western and CSPM I did back to back days interviewing, it’s definitely doable as long as the flights work out.

Yea i'm super happy about the interview invite! I just thought this stuff usually got sent out typically when the admission staff is at the school.
And how was your NYCPM interview? I heard it's more of a "serious" type when it comes around to the faculty interview. Any tips and was the sdn feedback useful when you interviewed?
The SDN feedback is spot on for preparing. I have found that interviews are always what you make of them. If you are serious and cold-stone then it will probably feel like it went that way. If you are relaxed, conversational, and have an upbeat attitude your interviewers tend to reciprocate that, even if they are the serious type.