AACE Lipid Guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmacy Kid

LCDR
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AACE/ACE 2017 Lipid Guidelines were published earlier this year. I have to give a presentation to Medstaff regarding the summary of the guidelines.

The guidelines mention using one of the four tools to calculate 10 year risk of coronary event (Grade C, BEL 4)
*Framingham
*MESA calculator
*Reynolds Risk Score
*UKPDS risk engine

The pooled cohort calculator from AHA/ACC was not listed. I know it has it's shortcomings like overestimating risk in certain ethnicities. It doesn't compute for age <40 or >79, or TC >320. However, would it still be reasonable to use to calculate the 10 yr risk score?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a type 1 diabetic, I feel discriminated against by those risk score calculators. I can only use the MESA calculator and it requires coronary artery calcification.

I'm kind of joking, but it is a bit of a problem that you have to decide on a risk score calculator depending on what populations are allowed for each tool. Inputs for each tool are different so it would be difficult to standardize gathering the necessary information for all patients.