a work in progress...

Dawsonkw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
alright so bear with me on this some may like the idea others may not but here goes.

so last night i was surfing the web like i do when I'm bored and i came across this website called Couchsurfing.org i don't know if any of you are familiar with this site but basically you set up a profile and list your personality, philosophy of life, etc. and then you meet people from around the world with the goal of it being if you are ever traveling anywhere in the world this website can set you up with someone who's couch you can crash on for free. Of course its only hospitable to help them with stuff needed' ie: dishes, cooking, shovel snow ect. And they have people who have been to this persons house write a review on how comfortable they feel in this persons house and vice-versa so as not to set you up with a mass murderer type fellow or let one into your house. but now that got me thinking...

after i get done with college i think im gonna use this site and im gonna take a camera and make a documentary about human compassion around the world, Using this site as a basis to meet new people in the next place. My plan is to go to (almost) every country and film at least one person from that country helping me live and survive from out of the kindness of their own heart. Im going to take with me one other person and i may or may not just hitchhike around the world filming this documentary.

anyone got anything to say/ things you think i should add. Its an idea in progress that won't be taking place for a while (im gonna go through med school and my residencies first of course). But any criticism is helpful (constructive only please) as well as any ideas you may have.

also would anyone watch this saying that i finished the whole thing and put it on video? i think its a great idea and will show people that there is compassion and consideration in the world. anyone else think its a good idea?:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds an interesting idea for me.

Thanks for the website. I will go check it out.

you are going to go through med school and then residency so that you can then not practice medicien but instead travel the world filming a documentary? We'll see what you think of this idea when are 100K+ in debt. It doesnt make much sense nor does it sound very realistic. Do you know how long it will take you to travel to "almost" EVERY country in the world? Thats a lifetime of filming and traveling. And where are you getting the money to do this?

IMO there are much better/obvious ways to show that there is compassion in the world. What are you going to film? THe point of your film is to show that people are compassionate by giving you a bed to sleep in....so are you going to film yourself sleeping? No, obiously not. You will probably film yourself doing diffferent things at the countries you visit with a little interview of the people that are hosting you....after the 4th country im sure there reasons are all going to sound thet same. It would be cool to have this documentary for yourself for your own memory but doubt it would be entertaining for the masses.

If you are serious about practicing medicine, this idea will not happen...sorry. Practicing medicine will be a lifetime commitment. What you intend to do also sounds like a lifetime commitment. I think you are undereestimating the amount of work that is necessary to create a film like you mentioned. Not only do you have to film it (which will probably take years), you are going to have hundreds of hours of film. So THEN youll have to go back and edit. You think youll be able to do all this while practicing medicine? No way.

My two good friends from college are traveling through europe now and they are using the couchsurfing website. They hosted a few kids from germany a week or two ago and had a good experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i think your right man... i also think i smoked way to much herb when i decided on this idea slash posted it.

thanks for putting it into perspective for me man.:thumbup:

i gotta stop smoking only for the reason that things like this happen lol i guess if i didn't wanna do medicine it would be kinda feasible. but i think i'd rather make alot of money:D

Eh you wont make that much money in medicine. Go into business or something if you're really after the money.

i would but im hellbent on not doing corporate business type work... even if its not corporate

plus its not completely about the money i got a few personal reasons as to why i wanna practice medicine.

Heh good luck to you then :) I'm planning on going in the medicine field also due to personal reasons. Man personal reasons can really help determine a career choice

Heh good luck to you then :) I'm planning on going in the medicine field also due to personal reasons. Man personal reasons can really help determine a career choice
A friend of a friend of mine is currently in med school and has told my friend he is in the business of medicine only for the money
lol
hes probably not gonna survive but maybe this kind of
motivation is strong enough to help him succeed

A friend of a friend of mine is currently in med school and has told my friend he is in the business of medicine only for the money
lol
hes probably not gonna survive but maybe this kind of
motivation is strong enough to help him succeed
Heh, thats quite interesting. Don't think you'd see that everyday (or hear that)

alright so bear with me on this some may like the idea others may not but here goes.

so last night i was surfing the web like i do when I'm bored and i came across this website called Couchsurfing.org i don't know if any of you are familiar with this site but basically you set up a profile and list your personality, philosophy of life, etc. and then you meet people from around the world with the goal of it being if you are ever traveling anywhere in the world this website can set you up with someone who's couch you can crash on for free. Of course its only hospitable to help them with stuff needed' ie: dishes, cooking, shovel snow ect. And they have people who have been to this persons house write a review on how comfortable they feel in this persons house and vice-versa so as not to set you up with a mass murderer type fellow or let one into your house. but now that got me thinking...

after i get done with college i think im gonna use this site and im gonna take a camera and make a documentary about human compassion around the world, Using this site as a basis to meet new people in the next place. My plan is to go to (almost) every country and film at least one person from that country helping me live and survive from out of the kindness of their own heart. Im going to take with me one other person and i may or may not just hitchhike around the world filming this documentary.

anyone got anything to say/ things you think i should add. Its an idea in progress that won't be taking place for a while (im gonna go through med school and my residencies first of course). But any criticism is helpful (constructive only please) as well as any ideas you may have.

also would anyone watch this saying that i finished the whole thing and put it on video? i think its a great idea and will show people that there is compassion and consideration in the world. anyone else think its a good idea?:xf:

Interesting idea. I wonder if something like this has been done. Not the exact, but something to the effect to show how each of us has something common)

Here's my website idea:

ratemybooze.com

You can have that idea for free. Just go make the darn site so I know which whisky is better. I'm starting medical school and really need to know this.

It's an idea with potential, but right now it's pretty silly, for 2 reasons.

1) Choosing all of your subjects via one internet website is going to result in a very homogenous, and probably boring, set of individuals.

2) Volunteering your couch to someone is not all that incredible, and using cliches like "human compassion" in this context is pretty ridiculous. That's not to say you can make a more light-hearted movie around this premise, but making a movie about people who take care of you, the filmmaker, comes off as self-indulgent and narcissistic as it is. Don't cheapen it further by acting like giving you a couch to sleep on is the epitome of human kindness.