A victory for us and patients!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TofuBalls

Bring the Pain!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you following the court battle in Louisiana between Pain Docs and the Nursing board, here's some good news...

The most recent turn of events in the ongoing battle between Spine Diagnostics (assisted and supported by ASIPP) and the Louisiana State Board of Nursing (LSBN) holds a favorable determination for interventional pain physicians.

On Dec. 28, 2006, the State of Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal rendered a judgement which finds the LSBN lacked authority to authorize certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) practice of chronic interventional pain management. The Court also ordered the trail court to grant the preliminary injunctions prohibiting CRNAs from performing such procedures.

We will provide more details as they are forthcoming.

http://asipp.org/Jan.32006.htm#article2

Members don't see this ad.

Fantastic!

For those of you following the court battle in Louisiana between Pain Docs and the Nursing board, here's some good news...

The most recent turn of events in the ongoing battle between Spine Diagnostics (assisted and supported by ASIPP) and the Louisiana State Board of Nursing (LSBN) holds a favorable determination for interventional pain physicians.

On Dec. 28, 2006, the State of Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeal rendered a judgement which finds the LSBN lacked authority to authorize certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA) practice of chronic interventional pain management. The Court also ordered the trail court to grant the preliminary injunctions prohibiting CRNAs from performing such procedures.

We will provide more details as they are forthcoming.

http://asipp.org/Jan.32006.htm#article2

When I think of a state nursing board I imagine a bunch of menopausal women angry at the system and wanting to put their members in an equal status to physicians. I am glad those old hags got the finger from the Louisiana 1st Circuit court of appeals.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I think of a state nursing board I imagine a bunch of menopausal women angry at the system and wanting to put their members in an equal status to physicians. I am glad those old hags got the finger from the Louisiana 1st Circuit court of appeals.

post-menopausal, single, overweight, and bitter..........

post-menopausal, single, overweight, and bitter..........

(Not supposed to be on the high-horse, lol, just a thought after reading a ton of the posts on here).

So... happy about the news, and granted this is an anonymous board... but do we have to be unprofessional about it? IF we are treated that way by mid-level providers (IF, and the IF of course can't be applied to EVERY mid-level provider), we shouldn't reciprocate. As many people here frequently point out, we are physicians. Weeeeeeeeee!

I wanna be an anesthesiologist. It'll be an honor to join the ranks. I do enjoy reading the awesome posts here, hopefully when I know more I'll be able to contribute something useful ;-)

(Not supposed to be on the high-horse, lol, just a thought after reading a ton of the posts on here).

So... happy about the news, and granted this is an anonymous board... but do we have to be unprofessional about it? IF we are treated that way by mid-level providers (IF, and the IF of course can't be applied to EVERY mid-level provider), we shouldn't reciprocate. As many people here frequently point out, we are physicians. Weeeeeeeeee!

I wanna be an anesthesiologist. It'll be an honor to join the ranks. I do enjoy reading the awesome posts here, hopefully when I know more I'll be able to contribute something useful ;-)

Yeah.....unlike this self-righteous bullcocky you just contributed.:rolleyes:

Yeah.....unlike this self-righteous bullcocky you just contributed.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I said that part you bolded cuz I knew how the rest of the statement would come off. In all seriousness, it wasn't intended to be preachy (I'm not great). In any case, is it really wrong?

And I keep reading about all this stuff about the ASA not doing much to "help"... when's the next election? I just joined the student section (ha, we probably don't have voting rights).

Nice

The trouble is, these victories are few and far between. Even the indians one a few small battles, but now they are extinct.

DONATE
DONATE
DONATE

and...

one small battle won doesn't mean the war is over. ask bush.

Remember the point of SND (Student DOCTOR Network). It's for med students and, especially in the specialty forums like this one, for resident and attending physicians. Consider my statement friendly banter amongst future colleagues. Also, don't take yourself too seriously. But, I do see your point on professionalism. Though, keep things in perspective.

Remember the point of SND (Student DOCTOR Network). It's for med students and, especially in the specialty forums like this one, for resident and attending physicians. Consider my statement friendly banter amongst future colleagues. Also, don't take yourself too seriously. But, I do see your point on professionalism. Though, keep things in perspective.

Well said, and I appreciate your willingness to respond constructively. I will take the advice to heart.

I definitely do think it is annoying when non-physicians/med students/etc come and say inflammatory things. I guess it just caught me off guard when I first started reading. Basically, I was like "Whoa, I hope no patients ever read any of this" :) Your post hits the nail on the head.

If there is a conflict, we should ensure that we are the protagonists, not the antagonists. I look forward to getting more exposure to the ASA and helping to make a difference.

Well said, and I appreciate your willingness to respond constructively. I will take the advice to heart.

I definitely do think it is annoying when non-physicians/med students/etc come and say inflammatory things. I guess it just caught me off guard when I first started reading. Basically, I was like "Whoa, I hope no patients ever read any of this" :) Your post hits the nail on the head.

If there is a conflict, we should ensure that we are the protagonists, not the antagonists. I look forward to getting more exposure to the ASA and helping to make a difference.

i know where you're coming from. it WAS a bit insensitive towards women. my bad. but, you know what i mean. i was just picturing the most militant, disgruntled, "nurse" stereotype (representing the AANA) that i could think of....lol

as for the bolded. i do as well. that's what will make a difference. good luck bro.

Members don't see this ad :)
.Sometimes I wonder if most of you would be so tough if the anonymity of the internet were taken away, if you would still be so bold. It's funny. I'm a male nurse, 5'10", 192lbs. who runs marathons and run my 3-month lifting workouts at a max bench press of 380lbs. I figure in six months I'll be over 400lbs. I don't find nearly the hostility that I routinely read here, not in person anyway. Why is that I wonder?? Thank goodness the years of evidence of safe anesthesiology practice is behind me, as well as a healthy dose of fear, and the respect of those I work with. These comments aren't anywhere near the norm when I know who you are. Yip away, little anonymous poodles, yip away….

.Sometimes I wonder if most of you would be so tough if the anonymity of the internet were taken away, if you would still be so bold. It's funny. I'm a male nurse, 5'10", 192lbs. who runs marathons and run my 3-month lifting workouts at a max bench press of 380lbs. I figure in six months I'll be over 400lbs. I don't find nearly the hostility that I routinely read here, not in person anyway. Why is that I wonder?? Thank goodness the years of evidence of safe anesthesiology practice is behind me, as well as a healthy dose of fear, and the respect of those I work with. These comments aren't anywhere near the norm when I know who you are. Yip away, little anonymous poodles, yip away….

i don't think they respect you because of what you look like and you certainly do not intimidate anybody in here.

Congratulations on your first post on our forum!

. Yip away, little anonymous poodles, yip away….

Okay, nursey. Go eat another Power Bar. I think it's in your purse next to your tampons. :laugh:

I don't mean to be rude but, why are you telling us how strong you are?

I don't mean to be rude but, why are you telling us how strong you are?

He's trying to break stereotypes.

a lot of them are pre menopausal....

You know, just like johankriek was trying to do.

Hey cfdavid... you think this stuff would still be said if no non-MD types posted here? Just a thought (directed at non-MD types)...

Odd

There is certainly alot of childish and cocky pontificating here. Does not seem befitting of the profession we are in, medicine. People will always try and stir the pot. The way to win is to ignore them, not stoop to their level and become EXACTLY like them. That goes us physicians and the non-mds alike.

Without the anonominity im sure the vast majority of the people posting 'attitude' are the passive aggresive 'fade into the background' types.

Maybe if people stopped worrying so much about what the ****distuber MD/DO and Non-MD/DO ppl said then this fourm might be useful.

How many states allow CRNAS to do pain management on the same scope as doctors?

Maybe because as a murse you keep your mouth shut at work and just do your job. Otherwise, you'd be manually disimpacting and giving enemas to every single patient on the floor. :laugh:

The way to win is to ignore them, not stoop to their level and become EXACTLY like them.

well, "ignoring them" has kind of landed us in the current situation. using superior wit, logic, and intelligence, however, is how we can stay above them... which is what i think you're really getting at.

Without the anonominity im sure the vast majority of the people posting 'attitude' are the passive aggresive 'fade into the background' types.

i, for one, am 6'1" and check in at about 215lbs. and, despite being an "old man", i still pretty much have my undergrad-sized football-player's body. i work out 3-4 times/week, and despite a puppy-dog face (according to my wife) no one would ever refer to me in casual conversation as an "unimposing presence". okay, so i can't bench 380lbs, but i can place a 10 shot 6-inch group at 25 yards with my 1911. what does that prove anyway?

personally, i'm pretty much in person the way i am here. maybe i check my tongue a little more in the real world than i do here. however, when on the rare occassion i do have a problem with people it is usually not because i'm the one who is being unreasonable. i've found, throughout my life, that most people inherently respect me. this is due in part because of my size but also because i don't generally dick around. likewise, i carefully think about what i'm saying/doing before i say/do it.

i've had "discussions" in the real world similar to what i've had here, and i don't hesitate to correct someone, no matter who they are, if/when they're clearly wrong about something, be it a patient care issue or just their general interpretation of reality. that's called leadership, a skill every good physician should possess. and, this skill is applied equally to colleagues, patients, attendings... whomever. does this occassional get me in trouble? occassionally. but, if i'm proved wrong, i'm the first person to admit it. however, when interpersonal trouble arises, more often than not, it's usually not because what i've said is incorrect but more likely because i supposedly didn't show deference to someone who feels they've earned the right to be an ***hole. i just don't stand for bullying in any form that takes and from anyone who thinks they want to dole it out. never have, never will. not so amazingly, the enemies i might make because of that attitude usually have already succeeded in winning the enmity of everyone around them. so, it's no loss anyway.

and, did i fail to mention that i'm also heavily armed? :laugh:

point is, if you act like a doormat, you'll get walked on. i'm all about benevolence, but sometimes you have to hand out the smack down, especially when someone is really asking for it. in the end, if you're clearly right, you're justified and no one will fault you.

the problems arise only when you think you're right, and you mistake a shaky opinion as hard and fast fact. nonetheless, opinions are actually good things provided they are grounded in fact. if you can back-up what you say, then despite that people probably will still argue with you you'll know you're on high ground and should stick to your guns. after all, isn't that what we ultimately are getting paid to do (ie. be an advocate for our patients and our profession)?

The anonimity of the internet is something we all need to deal with, whether we like it or not. Also, any hostility on this board (anesthesiology) is generally reactive to the constant hostility that the AANA (not representing all nurses) lobs at our (mine to be, most likely) profession of anesthesiology.

Also, SDN, being a student doctor, resident, and attending board is a way for medical students, residents, and attendings to bounce topics off one another, vent, bond, and generally have a good time. It also lends itself to discussion of matters we feel are challenges, or threats, to OUR profession. It's an invaluable learning tool for some of us students, and offers an almost unparalleled interaction between us and attendings and residents.

So, while I'm impressed by your ability to bench press 380lbs, why don't you either just deal with it, or go to one of the many nurse based forums (not on SDN, you'll notice). That being said, I CAN relate to your frusteration. There's this dude over in the cardiology forum that is "brash" beyond what I'm sure he can back up. Then again, maybe he can......

I would LOVE to study under VolatileAgent (and a lot of the contributors to this board). Just for the record, lol. I don't suppose you work at a teaching hospital with an anesthesiology residency program? Keep up the excellent speeches! Maybe in the future I can bestow my wisdom on virtual reality SDN boards where we can all actually see each other and demonstrate cases over the internet.

and, did i fail to mention that i'm also heavily armed? :laugh:

attachment.php

There's always someone who has a bigger gun who shoots straighter and faster...who can bench press more...run faster...know more...etc. etc.

attachment.php

There's always someone who has a bigger gun who shoots straighter and faster...who can bench press more...run faster...know more...etc. etc.

AR15... what can i say, except .223 is for wusses... :laugh: buy yourself an AK. they're about 1/2 the cost and shoot a much more potent round (ie. 7.62x39). and, they are VERY easily converted to full auto... not that i would ever dream of doing that. ;) or, at least get a good .308 (7.62x51) like a vintage FAL. AR15/M-16... worst decision the armed forces ever made. okay, maybe that's trumped by them going away from the 1911 to the beretta M9 in the 1980's. (9mm is also for wusses.)

of course, we are WAY off topic here. :)

AR15... what can i say, except .223 is for wusses... :laugh: buy yourself an AK. they're about 1/2 the cost and shoot a much more potent round (ie. 7.62x39). and, they are VERY easily converted to full auto... not that i would ever dream of doing that. ;) or, at least get a good .308 (7.62x51) like a vintage FAL. AR15/M-16... worst decision the armed forces ever made. okay, maybe that's trumped by them going away from the 1911 to the beretta M9 in the 1980's. (9mm is also for wusses.)

of course, we are WAY off topic here. :)

Had a HK91 in 7.62 with 20 round magazines, but just didn't have any use for it...too much firepower.....

you may be surprised at what a 77 gr 5.56 can do....

You WILL be surprised at what a blended metal 5.56 can do....

.. I'm a male nurse, 5'10", 192lbs. who runs marathons and run my 3-month lifting workouts at a max bench press of 380lbs. I figure in six months I'll be over 400lbs. ….

I dont believe you.. You are a LIAR.. You dont bench 400 pounds you lummox. what a meat-head? go back to the I am a male nurse with an inferiority complex forum

Had a HK91 in 7.62 with 20 round magazines, but just didn't have any use for it...too much firepower.....

you may be surprised at what a 77 gr 5.56 can do....

You WILL be surprised at what a blended metal 5.56 can do....

Try an FN P90. I owned one before the ban then foolishly sold it for $5K. It's worth three times that price now. Smoothest SMG but with tremendous power and a 50 round toploading mag to boot.

Try an FN P90. I owned one before the ban then foolishly sold it for $5K. It's worth three times that price now. Smoothest SMG but with tremendous power and a 50 round toploading mag to boot.

What the hell are you guys doing with these guns? I'm sure it ain't rabbit huntin.:laugh:

You might just be the strongest nurse in the whole country. Kinda short for a dude though.

geez

I have a pellet gun... and a paintball gun... i feel so inadequate...

penis too small

Speak for yourself. I'm a part time porn star.

The FN P90 was sold to me by a friend who was a class 3 dealer who knew it would become a commodity. I paid $3k for it. Fired it at the annual Knob Creek full auto target shoot. Everyone there wanted to fire it or just hold it, but I didn't buy enough ammo from the dealer.

A former customer of mine was a HUGE gun fanatic. The dude had one of those Tommy Guns from the 20's.... He said it was heavy as hell though.