A Strange case of Idaho COM Admission Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taskha

Reaction score
My CARS is below 35th percentile and it doesn't meet the minimum requirement of ICOM based on their website. However, I emailed the admission and they told me it's okay b/c they review applicant holistically. Is that for real? Would they screen me out later?

Members don't see this ad.

My CARS is below 35th percentile and it doesn't meet the minimum requirement of ICOM based on their website. However, I emailed the admission and they told me it's okay b/c they review applicant holistically. Is that for real? Would they screen me out later?

They'll probably take anyone who applies. It's in the Caribbean tier of DO schools.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
They'll probably take anyone who applies. It's in the Caribbean tier of DO schools.

like half the schools are that tier now lol. But they are def towards the bottom

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One way to find out...

Reactions: 1 user
Applying to Idaho makes udaho. /s

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
I’ll go against the grain of the thread and say they’ll likely screen you out, but just say that because they want your app money.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
OP, I can't recommend this school, due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.

Reactions: 1 users
OP, I can't recommend this school, due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching.
Oh.

Not OP, but this changes a lot for me. I had no idea. This was one of my few DO schools I was going to apply to (due to its location). I didn't think this one was on your list.

Oh.

Not OP, but this changes a lot for me. I had no idea. This was one of my few DO schools I was going to apply to (due to its location). I didn't think this one was on your list.

It would make me nervous as well, but if they end up interviewing you if you apply, it's still a bird in hand as a US DO school.

Always take a US medical school acceptance, anyone that tells you otherwise is not acting in your best interest but instead a personal agenda.

USDO placement rate was 99.61% this year

Always take a US medical school acceptance, anyone that tells you otherwise is not acting in your best interest but instead a personal agenda.

USDO placement rate was 99.61% this year

Exactly. Just get into a US school. But you have the stats to get into the better ones, by all means go for it

Reactions: 1 user