A Senior Desparate for Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fouricana

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I would deeply appreciate some advice regarding a tough decision l will have to make by the end of the month. I'm currently a senior in high school. Earlier this month I was blessed to be admitted to a few ivy leagues known for their research opportunities and pre-med program. Recently, however, l been accepted into a "4+4" Program at Rutgers University- New Brunswick. With this, I would attend the Rutgers Honors College for 4 years (can major in anything). The appealing part is that if maintain a specific GPA (3.6) I will have early assured admittance to RWJ Med. To top it off, the MCAT is not needed to enter the med school. I've been battling and weighing out each choice. This is the first year that this program has been offered, so there are no older students I can get insight from. Should go for the more rigorous, opportunity- rich ivies in hopes of going to a better med school, or take the more direct route through Rutgers? Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

First of all - Congrats on such a successful application round! I think that unless you are really sold on Rutgers and LOVE the undergrad and med program, I'd go where you see yourself having the best quality of life and where you feel like you "fit" best. Personally, I'd choose the Ivy leagues because of all the opportunities they offer you, but if you fell in love with Rutgers, then go there! I'd just be careful of choosing Rutgers solely for the convenience. Based on your success that's gotten you to this point, you'll likely be a competitive applicant when you decide to apply to medical school anyways. Good luck and congrats again!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on the fantastic program acceptance! I would disagree with the above comments, you have just gotten an (almost) free pass to medical school! I would take it, it is a rare opportunity and as much as you might likely succeed at Ivy + app cycle you can make your life so much easier and have more time to dedicate to your own academic/research persist without wasting your time studying for the mcat and applying (you could always choose to apply to more 'competitive programs'). But I know several Rutgers medical school graduates (now working at BWH/Harvard) who loved that medical school.

You don't want to bomb college and then spend the rest of your life regretting 'not being able to get into a great medical program' (because congrats your in one!) There is never a guarantee of medical school acceptance.

As a non-trad who wished they pursued medical school earlier, I'd say go with the guarantee.

Reactions: 1 user
A bird in the hand is worth two in the air. Not having to worry about taking the MCAT is a HUGE thing. Saving money on applications and travel also a big deal. It's not the school that makes a physician, it's the person.

Hey everyone!

I would deeply appreciate some advice regarding a tough decision l will have to make by the end of the month. I'm currently a senior in high school. Earlier this month I was blessed to be admitted to a few ivy leagues known for their research opportunities and pre-med program. Recently, however, l been accepted into a "4+4" Program at Rutgers University- New Brunswick. With this, I would attend the Rutgers Honors College for 4 years (can major in anything). The appealing part is that if maintain a specific GPA (3.6) I will have early assured admittance to RWJ Med. To top it off, the MCAT is not needed to enter the med school. I've been battling and weighing out each choice. This is the first year that this program has been offered, so there are no older students I can get insight from. Should go for the more rigorous, opportunity- rich ivies in hopes of going to a better med school, or take the more direct route through Rutgers? Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!
Rutgers. 10/10 times. Don't fall into the Ivy League trap.

There is no battle. Take the med school acceptance. Work hard and enjoy undergrad and have a good life as a doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
Despite the adamant postings from above for each side, the choice is really what your are like, where you want to be , and what do want out of your college experience.

Some brief pros/cons

Ivy: pros "Prestige" with degree (though not that important for medical school), lots of opportunities for research, well-known premed programs (though you can major in anything for medical school)
cons: lots of competition, some cutthroat, as a premed, uber $$$$ to go, must take MCAT, added stress of worrying and applying to medical schools, which is always a crap shoot with 40% overall acceptance rate. Even if 75% with say good stats, that isnt guarantee. Not too mention cost of a private medical school for more super uber $$$$

Rutgers: Good school, though not the "name" of an ivy, has research opportunities, has a solid premed program, ability to major in whatever you want (but presumably require core sciences), has state tuition for both UG and medical school, solid medical school that you are guaranteed acceptance, no MCAT, less cutthroat premed competition, much less worry/stress premed and little stress on application process. If you decide you want to go to different medical school, you can do so from Rutgers UG.

The only big difference I see is that if you are 1) interested in high level academics and research later on, the ivy name becomes more important later on. However, 95%+ of doctors dont care or 2) you arent sure of medicine and want to go in different direction, the ivy name would be important.

From what I see, Rugters makes the most sense in cost and stress with guarantee into medical school
Well put and thorough.

Go to Rutgers, take the MCAT and apply outside when the time comes anyway (assuming this will not impact your autoaccept) and see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users