A quick question for general advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apophilius

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all. Really looking forward to doing neurosurgery for my career. Id held off on until I got my step score back, which i did a few weeks ago.

I was fortunate enough to receive a 270.

I know my score is good, and so im not going to ask a general “what are my chances” question, just some advice.

I was thinking about going into ortho until i got my step score back. I have one project from summer M1 thats finally finished, and will hopefully be presented at a midlevel conference and published at a midlevel paper. I worked my butt off for that paper, but unfortunately it just doesnt seem to break much ground, and was too broad and not focused enough (too ambitious).

Since im just starting third year im wondering, should i focus my hardest on honoring all third year grades as much as i can, and take only six weeks this year, and some elective time next year, and possibly a year off to do clinical neurosurg research or benchwork? Or should i instead focus more time on research now, taking a hit on my clinical grades? Will my step score overshadow my lack of neurosurgery research?

Ive never been the type to just put schoolwork to the wayside.

Thanks so much for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you interest in NS only come about after the step score? Why ditch ortho if that’s what you’ve wanted?

Brain is the coolest thing in the world, and I didn’t think I really stood much of a chance—too much self doubt I suppose. It was the most fascinating concept physiologically and anatomically, but I want something surgical first because I think doing something you enjoy day to day is more important than spending time with something fascinating (neurology) that’s more boring. That was why I left my first career (physics) in the first place. I have personal experience working with something fascinating that isn’t hands on engaging, and it just isn’t for me.

Plus, in M1 I asked the research program I worked with to preference neurosurgery first, ortho second. There WAS no neurosurgery research available that summer at my small regional campus, so I went with ortho instead which they did have.

I guess my interest was truly always neurosurgery first, but life isn’t a fairytale, and so if things didn’t work out I didn’t want to set myself up for disappointment. Now I think I stand a chance, and I want to give it everything I’ve got now that I’m shipping off to the main campus where neurosurgery research is available in plenty.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
the average for neurosurgery is a 249. Not exactly sure why you're worrying with a 270. You don't need to take a gap year. Just work on 1-2 research projects, do your subi's and apply.
thats what everyone that matched in my school did and what i am going to do.

Most recent charting the outcomes just came out and the average number of abstracts, presentations, and publications is 18ish. By graduation I'll be lucky to have near half that. How is that even possible? How can I NOT take a research year to catch up to that?

Most recent charting the outcomes just came out and the average number of abstracts, presentations, and publications is 18ish. By graduation I'll be lucky to have near half that. How is that even possible? How can I NOT take a research year to catch up to that?

A few residents and attendings at local programs have echoed the following advice. These numbers usually come from people who have advanced degrees, or took time off, or sometimes from 3rd year students who are at places where publishing is more of a formality than it is a major undertaking. Not sure if people here agree with this, but they told me that 4-10 is about the average for most students. With the ones you have, make sure you know them like the back of your hand, and be able to speak intelligently about them. Big numbers hit the wow factor, but may also be made up of a lot of presentations and not primarily publications.

Keep chugging along my dude, we'll make it.

You should shadow some neurosurgeons; a lot of medical students say they want neurosurgery until they spend some time in the trenches.

It's good to hear that you love the brain--absolutely a requirement for going into nsx. However, do you realize that most of our work is on the spine? We also manage a lot of non-operative TBI and strokes. Just something to consider.