Chances of joining neurosurgery after general surgery-prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNsg300

A Neurosurgeon in the making :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my query pertains to the chances of joining PGY2 neurosurgery programs after doing a preliminary year of general surgery, and if that's possible at all? I was told from a couple of my fellow colleagues that after doing a preliminary year of general surgery, I would have to apply to categorical neuro programs which would put me back into PGY1 and the prelim year wouldn't have much influence as far as joining competitive neuro programs goes. I was hoping to hear from anyone who may have had a similar experience. Your inputs are greatly appreciated!!!

Members don't see this ad.

neurosurgery is a very competitive match. a gen surg prelim year will hurt your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
neurosurgery is a very competitive match. a gen surg prelim year will hurt your chances.

Its still better than doing cat gen surg if thats not what op wants

Members don't see this ad :)

Its still better than doing cat gen surg if thats not what op wants
Thanks for the response guys! But is it possible to join PGY2 neuro after general surg prelim? I was really confused about the whole process. I would really appreciate it if anyone currently doing neuro residency could give me their two cents on it.

Yes but is very much harder

In general, you will not be able to join a neurosurgery program as a PGY-2. There are a lot of requirements that are completed during intern year for most programs (Neuro ICU months, other off-service rotations), that will not be completed by an prelim. It is not impossible, I believe in extenuating circumstances a program could accommodate a transfer by having them complete these additional rotations during later years. However, I would not expect a program to make these special arrangements for you, especially if you are a reapplicant just hoping to snag a spot. Expect to start over as a new PGY-1.

Thanks for the response guys! But is it possible to join PGY2 neuro after general surg prelim? I was really confused about the whole process. I would really appreciate it if anyone currently doing neuro residency could give me their two cents on it.

I personally know three people how have done this, one at my program and two others at different programs. All of them needed a bit of luck to get in after completing Gs intern years. For sure not something you can count on working out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: