A question about thank you notes... from a newcomer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carotenoid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a medical student (finishing up my 3rd year), I come from a school without a home Rad Onc program. I have just finished a month-long elective in Rad Onc at an "away" institution...
Question is... should I write thank you notes? I do feel genuinely grateful to some of the residents and attendings - I think they were genuinely interested in helping me learn. But then I don't want to go overboard and appear a major brown noser.

Will be grateful for any tips!!!
tx

Members don't see this ad.

Sending personalized thank you notes to a select few residents and faculty is totally appropriate and appreciated. Nowadays, so few people use snail mail that it's always nice to get a hand-written thank you note. I've definitely appreciated the notes I've received from med students.

I am a medical student (finishing up my 3rd year), I come from a school without a home Rad Onc program. I have just finished a month-long elective in Rad Onc at an "away" institution...
Question is... should I write thank you notes? I do feel genuinely grateful to some of the residents and attendings - I think they were genuinely interested in helping me learn. But then I don't want to go overboard and appear a major brown noser.

Will be grateful for any tips!!!
tx

Definitely a nice thing to do to show your appreciation. I find it's more effective if you're going to send a thank you note/card to give it directly to the person (ie. on your last day) rather than mailing it afterwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely a nice thing to do to show your appreciation. I find it's more effective if you're going to send a thank you note/card to give it directly to the person (ie. on your last day) rather than mailing it afterwards.

Definitely do it for the individuals you said helped you learn and make the rotation a worthwhile experience. It's always a nice surprise to find a thank you note on one's desk ...

Definitely do it for the individuals you said helped you learn and make the rotation a worthwhile experience. It's always a nice surprise to find a thank you note on one's desk ...

While you're at it throw in a few dollars... you never know this could be the deciding factor.

-R