A positive message from an SDNer

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Normally these forums are for questions and answers. However, an SDN member wanted this message posted and I think it is worth doing. If you'd like, consider it an answer to the common question "Can I still get into med school after a cheating incident that I need to report on my application?" Feel free to comment in this thread if you'd like.

I want to break the mold and write an encouraging post. I had a huge red flag on my application (cheating), and I was pretty devastated (esp regarding my chances for med school). Searching SDN revealed that most ppl need to take time off after graduation/etc, and that ppl don't go to med school straight out of undergrad. BUT...only 2 yrs after the incident, I applied to med school (explaining in detail everything that had happened, and accepting responsibility), and by the grace of God, I will now attend a top 20 med school. There's hope, and don't let anyone bring you down.

Do:
- disclose everything
- accept responsibility
- get character witness letters from faculty who knew you well

Don't
- say it was unfair
- put down the college/professor/whomever
- give up

:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
hi doc,
nice to hear that..... it was really encouraging.... congrats and good luck for ur future.....

Super old thread...I know.
I have a similar situation...is anyone still on here?

I had a friend attempt to take a quiz for me my freshman year. Terrible terrible decision, we got caught instantly. Bad, bad, bad...it's fraud, not cheating.

I've spent the last two years working as an Academic Integrity Peer Counselor @ prestigious University (when I apply 5 years will have gone by since the "incident"). I lead workshops, seminars for freshman, counsel kids who got caught cheating, and more. Almost 6 hours a week working in the office that suspended me as a freshman. I can talk for hours about academic integrity and conduct etc. I will have a LOR from the dean who suspended me!

As my violation was super egregious, should I just give up now?

Members don't see this ad :)
What a great post. I think it should be a sticky in the pre-med forums. Lots of people think it's the end of the world when it's really not.

I had a friend attempt to take a quiz for me my freshman year. Terrible terrible decision, we got caught instantly. Bad, bad, bad...it's fraud, not cheating.

I've spent the last two years working as an Academic Integrity Peer Counselor @ prestigious University (when I apply 5 years will have gone by since the "incident"). I lead workshops, seminars for freshman, counsel kids who got caught cheating, and more. Almost 6 hours a week working in the office that suspended me as a freshman. I can talk for hours about academic integrity and conduct etc. I will have a LOR from the dean who suspended me!

No, you might get in. The key is getting past the initial "screen". That takes saying all the things you just did. Don't expect a top 20 necessarily, but if your application is otherwise strong, 5 years should equal reasonable chance of forgiveness given what has been said above.

I don't think this will be much of an issue at all. Get a solid MCAT/GPA and you will be fine.

The key is: are you the same person today that you were as a freshman? We all make mistakes in life and some of them are worse than others. The key is accepting the bed you made, learning from it, and disclosing the mistake.

Remember, this is medicine, errors happen and physicians do make mistakes that sometimes cost lives. You 'cheated' on a quiz. No one is out to slay you - now or then. Just don't try to hide anything or sugar coat it and turn it into a positive. "I was caught in an academically dishonest situation my freshmen year, but I learned from it and became a peer counselor......" so on.