A Message for all and a Farewell to all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UTSW, i don't think it was a coincidence that you knew my cousin. I was happy to make that connection. Things happen for a reason, and God's love always finds it's way to His children. Don't ever forget it!

Members don't see this ad.

I have to say, I have been truly touched by all of your responses and I feel grateful for all of the prayers.

These last two days have been a struggle with breathing but I have hopefully turned the corner on it and despite feeling asthmatic every second of every day, I'm getting used to the feeling and starting to be able to do some of my regular activities.

It still boggles my mind that all of my current problems have come from everything beside the cancer, but I'll have to get over that.

UTSW - I wish that I had some sage RT knowledge that I could drop on you to help out your breathing issues, but I'm sure that you have waaayyy smarter/more experienced people giving you advice. I will say that I'm also one that usually lets things go pretty easily, but that whole ordeal with the slides would have pushed me over the edge!

You will (maybe) be happy to know that I am taking your advice to heart, though. I am currently sitting out in my back yard with a Sam Adams in front of me, playing with my daughter on her new bounce house we just bought her. I'm also taking this entire summer off (the first in ~18 years) to play Mr. Mom with my newborn twin boys!

I've been following your blog closely, and will continue to do so. I'm not a religious person, but know that you are always in my thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTSW:

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Your attitude and strength through this ordeal are inspiring. I have lurked here for a while and although I rarely post I wanted to let you know I will keep you and your family in my prayers. One more thing, if you havent already it may be a good idea to test your home for radon as it is the mcc of lung ca in non smokers. It may protect your family.

Keep up the fight!

UTSW - I wish that I had some sage RT knowledge that I could drop on you to help out your breathing issues, but I'm sure that you have waaayyy smarter/more experienced people giving you advice. I will say that I'm also one that usually lets things go pretty easily, but that whole ordeal with the slides would have pushed me over the edge!

You will (maybe) be happy to know that I am taking your advice to heart, though. I am currently sitting out in my back yard with a Sam Adams in front of me, playing with my daughter on her new bounce house we just bought her. I'm also taking this entire summer off (the first in ~18 years) to play Mr. Mom with my newborn twin boys!

I've been following your blog closely, and will continue to do so. I'm not a religious person, but know that you are always in my thoughts.

Still here and like you took the weekend off to enjoy time with the family. I will ask that anyone that has any ideas for my now permanent cough is welcome to post suggestions here. I've tried every cough drop known to man plus Tramadol, acupressure points, teas of all kind, etc.

Still here and like you took the weekend off to enjoy time with the family. I will ask that anyone that has any ideas for my now permanent cough is welcome to post suggestions here. I've tried every cough drop known to man plus Tramadol, acupressure points, teas of all kind, etc.

Dude, future pulmonologist here! You should get your paws on some tessalon pearls and CHERATUSSIN. Cheratussin is robitussin with codeine. Codeine is the BEST for coughs man. Also get a bronchodilator (if you haven't been given one yet), some xopenex or albuterol. That should help too but you'll get a little jittery.

F$&K those mets bro. You got this. Like I said, my mom was FULL OF EM and she stuck around for a long long long time and enjoyed her life. She traveled the world. Seriously. Go get your port and start kicking *****! Today is a GREAT DAY.

Yes, I'm chock full o' red bull but the feelings are genuine. Life is full of curve balls. They make us wise and give us new perspective.

Jase

Talk to your doc and see if nebulized lidocaine might work for you. It's off label, but I've used it with great success in cases of hard to shake, refractory cough. Let us know if you have any luck.

Dr UT,

Please see your PM box in re: to a doctor you may wish to follow up with per your most recent blog post (Integrative Medicine).

D712

Last edited:
Dude, future pulmonologist here! You should get your paws on some tessalon pearls and CHERATUSSIN. Cheratussin is robitussin with codeine. Codeine is the BEST for coughs man. Also get a bronchodilator (if you haven't been given one yet), some xopenex or albuterol. That should help too but you'll get a little jittery.

F$&K those mets bro. You got this. Like I said, my mom was FULL OF EM and she stuck around for a long long long time and enjoyed her life. She traveled the world. Seriously. Go get your port and start kicking *****! Today is a GREAT DAY.

Yes, I'm chock full o' red bull but the feelings are genuine. Life is full of curve balls. They make us wise and give us new perspective.

Jase

Venty, have used all of the above. Tessalon did squat and Cheratussin had to be on 24/7 but still broke through. On Xopenex and Advair too. Looking for some super ninja secret strike points. Did try all kinds of cough drops and considered the inhaled lido but it would be very short acting and everything would start again.

Tramadol also used. It does work well, but again, get breakthrough and occasionally, the 2-5 minute continuous single cough which has already rebroken my left T6 rib this past weekend.

Needless to say we are all shocked by this devastating news...I guess as physicians we all ask why, especially given the fact that you're so young and healthy, surely genetics plays a role, I was reading an article, it listed exposure to halogen ether as a risk factor, any thoughts on that?

Needless to say we are all shocked by this devastating news...I guess as physicians we all ask why, especially given the fact that you're so young and healthy, surely genetics plays a role, I was reading an article, it listed exposure to halogen ether as a risk factor, any thoughts on that?

Possible factor. One thing I'm getting checked out in my house is Radon gas levels. Chronic exposure to Radon is a definite lung cancer risk factor so have to be sure as I don't want my family to get hit by that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Possible factor. One thing I'm getting checked out in my house is Radon gas levels. Chronic exposure to Radon is a definite lung cancer risk factor so have to be sure as I don't want my family to get hit by that.

Absolutely, that's a must.

I just started reading your blog. I have a kid on the way and I cant imagine how you must feel at times. Im praying for you.

I just started reading your blog. I have a kid on the way and I cant imagine how you must feel at times. Im praying for you.

Some days feel like ****, but mostly, I have a sense of purpose and a plan laid out. Chemo, surgical resection, XRT, aggressively going after the disease. Refuse to lay down and die.

UT,

Last night I was reading through this months "Anesthesiology" journal and there is this really cool bit of history that I found quite entertaining. I doesn't focus on Horace Wells or William Morton, but on Humphry Davy. Brilliant individual and a revolutionary scientist and chemist of his time. His description of the effects of Nitrous Oxide are a nice piece of anesthesia history to read through.

laughbit.jpg

The last four sentences of the article quotes him addressing the Royal Institution of 1810 and I thought of you:

"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."

You are going to conquer this, just like Venty's mom did.

Can't wait to see you behind the wheels of that Maserati.

Cheers man, I hope you are having a good week. :)

“Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer.”

You are going to conquer this, just like Venty's mom did.

Can’t wait to see you behind the wheels of that Maserati.

Cheers man, I hope you are having a good week. :)

I am finding out that there are a lot of treatment options out there that aren't mainstream but are well researched here, in Europe, and in Asia.

Focal hyperthermic therapy with ultrasound is widely used in Europe and Asia as an adjunct for many soft tissue tumors and has been used for over 30 years, yet here you can only get it via "compassionate therapy" rules of the FDA and only for one type of cancer.

The vaccine protocols in Europe also seem to be way ahead of where we are at this point with Lucanix trials.

I have been up and down this week, but nothing that I didn't expect.

I am finding out that there are a lot of treatment options out there that aren't mainstream but are well researched here, in Europe, and in Asia.

Focal hyperthermic therapy with ultrasound is widely used in Europe and Asia as an adjunct for many soft tissue tumors and has been used for over 30 years, yet here you can only get it via "compassionate therapy" rules of the FDA and only for one type of cancer.

The vaccine protocols in Europe also seem to be way ahead of where we are at this point with Lucanix trials.

I have been up and down this week, but nothing that I didn't expect.

You are in my prayers. Don't lose hope or faith. Please keep us posted on any new therapies or treatments you may decide to try.

Blade

I'm so sorry to hear the news. Your posts have been incredibly helpful for me, and no doubt many others out there, over the years -- I would not have picked anesthesiology without your input.

Take care of yourself. Thank you again.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am happy to say that I am still feeling good and few side effects after my second round of chemo. I enjoyed my talk at Southwestern last week and hoped that my words had some impact on the lives of the attendees and their preparation for the future.

In the meantime, back to work finally and enjoying it. Funny what you miss when you're denied the opportunity to do it.

Vitamin D is the key. I wish you the best in this fight. You will win.

Vitamin D is the key. I wish you the best in this fight. You will win.

You know, I hear that a lot but haven't found much to support why that is the case aside from strengthening bones against pathologic fractures. If anyone has the reason behind this thought, I'd be happy to read about it.

Holy Crap Dude! I'm so sorry. You are defenitely an amazing man. Your positive and forward thinking mindset is unquestionably an inspiration.

If you've already been through chemo, I assume vitamin D would not be very effective, since it's known to work through the immune system for its anti-carcinogenic effects. It is able to activate many different immune cells that are able to selectively kill cancer cells. Even innate immune cells have been shown to kill cancer cells. The recommended levels for vitamin D intake/day are far too low.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19667167

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq1t9WqOD-0
Here's a video. He specifically talks about cancer around 47:00 minutes but I think the whole lecture is worth watching. It really gives you a good idea of how important vitamin D is to the body apart from bone health.

I'm not saying its a cure, but you could have a deficiency that may be allowing your cancer to grow more easily.

All the best.:luck:

If you've already been through chemo, I assume vitamin D would not be very effective, since it's known to work through the immune system for its anti-carcinogenic effects. It is able to activate many different immune cells that are able to selectively kill cancer cells. Even innate immune cells have been shown to kill cancer cells.
Do you have any references relating to that? I've heard those types of claims (usually on radio advertisements) and always laughed at them. Stimulating the immune system alone - what good does that do? Tumors are protected by the immune system's suppressive cells, and unless you're selectively killing those, the activated cells that would otherwise clear or limit the growth of the tumor aren't going to be doing much good.

Good news to report: Repeat CT scan showed major reduction in my tumor sizes across the board! I am truly blessed or extremely lucky. :luck:

I'm a believer in the former. :D Surprised the oncologist who knocked off 2 cycles from my regimen upon seeing the result!

Good news to report: Repeat CT scan showed major reduction in my tumor sizes across the board! I am truly blessed or extremely lucky. :luck:

I'm a believer in the former. :D Surprised the oncologist who knocked off 2 cycles from my regimen upon seeing the result!

Wow. That's fantastic UT! Thanks for the update man. We're rooting for you.:thumbup::luck:

That's great news!

I've been reading this thread and am so happy to hear this fantastic news! Keep on fighting

That's awesome, man! I saw that on your blog. I'm so happy to hear that, keep up the good work!

Good to hear. :)

Just remember:
The too-dumb-assed-to-give-up-SOB-surgeon in me is wanting you to fight this...
Keep fighting.

Forgive me if this isn't relevant, don't know all the medical stuff - posted today

http://www.medpagetoday.com/HematologyOncology/LungCancer/27678

It is very relevant to many NSCLC patients, but unfortunately for me, I am EGFR negative AND EML4-ALK negative meaning that Iressa, Tarceva, and the newer crizotinib aren't first line therapies for me. Sucks, but such is the way.

I can use them as third line treatments and will do so likely in the future along with surgery, radiation, Lucanix, individual vaccine trials, and some interesting German alternative therapies. All cool things to look forward to. :D

Great news UT! I'm very happy to hear this and I hope you continue getting good news!

I have had great news this month and I expect great news every day. It's amazing what good will can do for a person such as myself. On Monday, I hope to begin a plan to reshape the National Lung Cancer Foundation's awareness campaign to eliminate the image of all lung cancer patients as the chain smoking, self-destructive person.

Lung cancer is #2 among most common cancers separately in men and women, and #1 overall, yet research into lung cancer treatments lags far behind other cancer types. Overall 10-15% of lung cancer occurs in non-smokers but that rate is increasing alarmingly with inadequate research into what may be causing the increase, especially in non-Asian females.

UT... I almost never check SDN anymore, and haven't posted in ages, but your post shook me up... the latest bad news in a series of bad news this month. I never met you, but you are a fellow "old-timer" like myself, and I have respected your views, your willingness to mentor and your contributions to this forum more than you will ever know. I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I'm cheered by the fact that you seem to be responding well to your treatments.

As a CA-3, I did a senior project that is now turning into a review article on the environmental hazards we face daily in the OR. There were some major nation-wide studies that were supposed to be wrapping up last fall and I'm extremely curious to see the data - long story short, we just don't have enough information about the possible long-term effects of what we are surrounded by in our workplace.

Your message to enjoy life's daily pleasures resonates strongly. Three weeks ago, a young couple I knew (40, 41) were killed in a car crash that left 2 of their 3 young children paraplegics. Last week another set of family friends were also involved in a fatal car accident - the husband/father died at the scene, leaving behind his wife and 2 young sons (ages 2 & 4). Neither of the deceased were at fault in the accidents, nor was alcohol believed to be a factor. Just tragic accidents - wrong place, wrong time. And now your news. I just feel at a loss for what to say. Selfishly, all of these events just make me hug my baby and my husband a little tighter every night.

I wish you and your family strength in the coming months, and that you continue to get some good news during the course of treatments.

UT... I almost never check SDN anymore, and haven't posted in ages, but your post shook me up... the latest bad news in a series of bad news this month. I never met you, but you are a fellow "old-timer" like myself, and I have respected your views, your willingness to mentor and your contributions to this forum more than you will ever know. I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but I'm cheered by the fact that you seem to be responding well to your treatments.

As a CA-3, I did a senior project that is now turning into a review article on the environmental hazards we face daily in the OR. There were some major nation-wide studies that were supposed to be wrapping up last fall and I'm extremely curious to see the data - long story short, we just don't have enough information about the possible long-term effects of what we are surrounded by in our workplace.

Your message to enjoy life's daily pleasures resonates strongly. Three weeks ago, a young couple I knew (40, 41) were killed in a car crash that left 2 of their 3 young children paraplegics. Last week another set of family friends were also involved in a fatal car accident - the husband/father died at the scene, leaving behind his wife and 2 young sons (ages 2 & 4). Neither of the deceased were at fault in the accidents, nor was alcohol believed to be a factor. Just tragic accidents - wrong place, wrong time. And now your news. I just feel at a loss for what to say. Selfishly, all of these events just make me hug my baby and my husband a little tighter every night.

I wish you and your family strength in the coming months, and that you continue to get some good news during the course of treatments.

lilycat,

Thank you and welcome back. I feel refreshed and am gaining strength each day. I have found a new purpose in my life and one that allows me to enjoy each day's trials as a step toward a greater good. I have cancer, but I am not controlled by it nor will I allow my family and friends to be affected by my condition.

The events you have witnessed this past month emphasizes to me that I am truly lucky and blessed to be here and be able to see, work with, and know so many amazing people! I never took time to appreciate them and now that I am, I understand that our contributions to each other drive our individual desires to do something good every day we are alive.

I pray that the families of those affected by the car accidents can start their healing process and whatever I can do to help them, don't hesitate to let me know.

Have a wonderful rest of this beautiful Sunday and give the hubby and kid an extra hug from the mysterious and anonymous UTSouthwestern.

A very sad thread to read, but I wish you the best :thumbup: I'm a firm believer in that nothing is as effective against something along these lines as a positive attidude is. A friend of mine successfully fought cancer for over 4 years, but once he took on a pessimistic view of his life, he went downhill quickly from there. So, hang in there!

All the best,

Jeremy

A very sad thread to read, but I wish you the best :thumbup: I'm a firm believer in that nothing is as effective against something along these lines as a positive attidude is. A friend of mine successfully fought cancer for over 4 years, but once he took on a pessimistic view of his life, he went downhill quickly from there. So, hang in there!

All the best,

Jeremy

Not a sad thread at all. It's life and what can happen when you put a positive frame of mind to it. I will enjoy life as much as possible and continue to fight. I have big goals and dreams, now more than ever and will fight to make them come to fruition.

Not a sad thread at all. It's life and what can happen when you put a positive frame of mind to it. I will enjoy life as much as possible and continue to fight. I have big goals and dreams, now more than ever and will fight to make them come to fruition.

Great attitude UT. All 'bout the here and now... and tomorrow. :thumbup:

Hopefully here soon you will be back in the heart room....! I know you get lots of pleasure from that aspect of your life.

:)

Great attitude UT. All 'bout the here and now... and tomorrow. :thumbup:

Hopefully here soon you will be back in the heart room....! I know you get lots of pleasure from that aspect of your life.

:)

I've been back to the heart room, just not as often as I would like. I have to convince some of my partners that I am not about to keel over and can handle the long cases.

"I cannot be awake, for nothing looks to me as it did before, or else I am awake for the first time, and all before has been a mean sleep."
— Walt Whitman

You are in my thoughts and prayers. good luck

UTSW,

I've been away from SDN for a while and I am very sorry to hear about your illness on my return. Keep up the good fight man, you are in my thoughts and prayers. After reading part of your blog, I am impressed with your positive outlook on life during these trying times. Crush that cancer, I know you can do it.

UTSW,

I've been away from SDN for a while and I am very sorry to hear about your illness on my return. Keep up the good fight man, you are in my thoughts and prayers. After reading part of your blog, I am impressed with your positive outlook on life during these trying times. Crush that cancer, I know you can do it.

I'm feeling great physically, and despite the withering heat outside, this is the happiest I have felt in my entire life. Perspective does change your outlook and enjoyment of life. I want to stick around as long as I can, but when the time comes, I have no fear or regrets other than missing all the wonderful people I have met through my years.