A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@SymphonyNo9 I'm a US citizen with a British undergrad degree looking to apply to M.D. programs for 2019 entry - could you PM me the list of schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Me! I am a citizen now though. I got my PhD here in the US but foreign undergrad. I'm doing on and off volunteering, science fairs, science Olympiad etc. No time to volunteer at hospitals.

What counts a clinical volunteering btw?

Clinical volunteering is usually volunteering in a hospital/clinic/hospice or any other health care facilities. Some often say "clinical" means that you can smell the patients, lol. E.g. working as a front desk receptionist in a hospital won't count.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a foreign bachelors and masters (Ireland). Has anyone figured out how many schools moving to Competency Based Admissions would affect people such as ourselves? @Determinedtoachieve @SymphonyNo9

I know more and more schools are moving into competency based. However, I honestly don't know the answer. IIRC, most of the schools I applied weren't that type. If I were you, I would ask the schools directly about having a foreign degree and foreign coursework. If anyone asked, you could share the reply from schools here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright, I've finally caught up with the PM replies. Sorry, everyone, for being so late. Hope I didn't miss anyone.
I'll later edit to share the list in the post so that I don't have to reply every single one of you. However, still feel free to ask any question by replying or PMing.

Thank you very much for this guide. This is VERY helpful.

My situation is exactly the same. US/Brazil dual citizen - born in the US but grew up in Brazil.

I am an economics major from top 1 university in Brazil with mediocre GPA. No science courses at all. I am living in the US and working in investment banking.

It seems like the post bacc path would be the best for me as well, especially with my low GPA. From my understanding, I would be able to submit only my GPA from the post bacc, even though I would most likely also submit my coursework from Brazil.

My questions now are:

1. A structured or DIY post bac?

2. Which schools should I be looking at for my pre-reqs?

3. Can you please PM me your GPA, MCAT and school where you did your pre-reqs?

Thanks again and congrats for the amazing guide.

Thank you very much for this guide. This is VERY helpful.

My situation is exactly the same. US/Brazil dual citizen - born in the US but grew up in Brazil.

I am an economics major from top 1 university in Brazil with mediocre GPA. No science courses at all. I am living in the US and working in investment banking.

It seems like the post bacc path would be the best for me as well, especially with my low GPA. From my understanding, I would be able to submit only my GPA from the post bacc, even though I would most likely also submit my coursework from Brazil.

My questions now are:

1. A structured or DIY post bac?

2. Which schools should I be looking at for my pre-reqs?

3. Can you please PM me your GPA, MCAT and school where you did your pre-reqs?

Thanks again and congrats for the amazing guide.
You have to tag them if you want them to know.

@SymphonyNo9

You're welcome.
I thought about applying DO and got the AACOMAS ready in October/November before an MD acceptance. But eventually I applied MD only.

Personally, I applied about 30 MDs, 6 are generally considered top tier, another 6 are low tier, and the others are mid. (With the stats I got, people suggested more top tier schools)
I suggest go to the WAMC and post your stats/ECs/... and maybe your own school list to ask others' opinions. They are professional and helpful.
For me, the location is the biggest concern, so I added and deleted schools based on my own desire. And of course I applied based on the schools' requirements.

My general advice would be: get ready early, including PS, LORs, MCAT, primary submission, and even pre-writing secondaries.
Can you please send it to me too...

@SymphonyNo9 Hi would you be able to PM me the schools that accepts foreign undergrad too? Thank you!!!

thank you SymphonyNo9 for this detailed information. I also have foreign bachelors degree and planning to apply to medical school here in USA. it would be great if you can send me the list of the medical schools you applies to. and if possible, also the names of the med schools that accepts students with foreign bachelors degree.

Thank you SymphonyNo9 for such a detailed information. I also have foreign bachelors degree and am planning to apply to medical school here in Usa. it would be great if you can send me the list of the schools that you applied to and if possible, also the names of the med schools that accepts students with foreign bachelors.

Does anyone know if the pre-reqs could be fulfilled with a year abroad in America during undergrad?

Similar situation. Thank you so much for bringing up this issue! I've been researching about med school issues for the past few days, and it has been mentally draining. Also thanks to and requesting for that list from @SymphonyNo9

I just recently discovered my interest, passion, and overall purpose in healthcare. I've just begun self-studying MCAT covered subjects. Also, most immediate family members are in healthcare (nurse, medical technologist, chemist) - this has also contributed to my planned career change. I'm 24 y/o.

So I'm a permanent resident (getting my citizenship approx. year 2020), had my bachelor's degree non-medical related outside of US conferred last 2015. GPA range is between only 2.0 and 2.9 (barely had any pre-med subjects; didn't take academics seriously during freshmen and sophomore years but aced during junior and senior years). Demonstrated successful leadership, extra-curricular and volunteer (non-medical) work during college.

I'm currently enlisted in the U.S. Army, in which I'll be starting a medical-related job (medic) in a few months. I'll also be doing volunteer work in physician shadowing at a mid-tier hospital this year.

Since definitely my GPA most likely won't make the cut for admissions, I want to know which is best strategy for me:
Option 1: Take 2nd bachelor's degree (pre-med) in US (4 years) -> Take MCAT -> Apply for med school
Option 2: Take post-baccalaureate in US (1-2 years) -> Take MCAT -> Apply for med school
Option 3: (If you can think of any)

Thanks in advance to those who can help!

Members don't see this ad :)
@SymphonyNo9 This is so helpful - I appreciate you taking the time to compile this information and respond to everyone! and congratulations on your acceptance to MD school! Given how responsive and thorough you have been on this thread, I can imagine you are someone with the type of work ethic that will make an excellent physician one day!

I finished my undergrad and post-grad degree in Economics at UK schools and then moved back to the US to start my post-bacc. So far I have taken Bio I and II (with lab), Chem I and II (with lab), Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry I (with lab), Physics I and II (with lab) and have 3.96 GPA. This equates to 27 credits and satisfies the minimum pre-requisites for most of the medical schools I am interested in. Do you think I will need to take more credits??

@SymphonyNo9 This is so helpful - I appreciate you taking the time to compile this information and respond to everyone! and congratulations on your acceptance to MD school! Given how responsive and thorough you have been on this thread, I can imagine you are someone with the type of work ethic that will make an excellent physician one day!

I finished my undergrad and post-grad degree in Economics at UK schools and then moved back to the US to start my post-bacc. So far I have taken Bio I and II (with lab), Chem I and II (with lab), Biochemistry, Organic Chemistry I (with lab), Physics I and II (with lab) and have 3.96 GPA. This equates to 27 credits and satisfies the minimum pre-requisites for most of the medical schools I am interested in. Do you think I will need to take more credits??

Just found out that thread owner already linked list on original post. See the very first post on this thread.

Last edited:
Similar situation. Thank you so much for bringing up this issue! I've been researching about med school issues for the past few days, and it has been mentally draining. Also thanks to and requesting for that list from @SymphonyNo9

I just recently discovered my interest, passion, and overall purpose in healthcare. I've just begun self-studying MCAT covered subjects. Also, most immediate family members are in healthcare (nurse, medical technologist, chemist) - this has also contributed to my planned career change. I'm 24 y/o.

So I'm a permanent resident (getting my citizenship approx. year 2020), had my bachelor's degree non-medical related outside of US conferred last 2015. GPA range is between only 2.0 and 2.9 (barely had any pre-med subjects; didn't take academics seriously during freshmen and sophomore years but aced during junior and senior years). Demonstrated successful leadership, extra-curricular and volunteer (non-medical) work during college.

I'm currently enlisted in the U.S. Army, in which I'll be starting a medical-related job (medic) in a few months. I'll also be doing volunteer work in physician shadowing at a mid-tier hospital this year.

Since definitely my GPA most likely won't make the cut for admissions, I want to know which is best strategy for me:
Option 1: Take 2nd bachelor's degree (pre-med) in US (4 years) -> Take MCAT -> Apply for med school
Option 2: Take post-baccalaureate in US (1-2 years) -> Take MCAT -> Apply for med school
Option 3: (If you can think of any)

Thanks in advance to those who can help!

I don't think the total GPA in the AMCAS included my foreign GPA whatsoever. Some med schools did ask for my foreign transcript but I'm not sure how they were using it. Anyway, boosting/gaining your GPA in a US school is essential.

As far as your options, I believe both can work just fine as long as you do well studying. Having a bachelor degree in the US definitely helps, since some med schools require one so you'll have more chances. Obviously it will take more time. I can't think of any other differences beyond that.

Hey,
I thought having that many courses in hand will give you more credits than 27?
Anyway, I believe the minimum is pre-req/30 credits. Not sure about the status of math requirement now, I know some schools are cutting that out. I personally got 60 credits to increase my chance since some of the schools I wanted require that. You can email some schools and confirm their requirements. If all sound promising, go for it!

@SymphonyNo9 Thank you for your post! Not only it's informative but it also gives hope to aspiring doctors in a similar situation. As a bio major, did you have to retake courses when did your postbacc? If so, how many of them?

@SymphonyNo9 Thank you for your post! Not only it's informative but it also gives hope to aspiring doctors in a similar situation. As a bio major, did you have to retake courses when did your postbacc? If so, how many of them?
Thanks!
Yes, I retook all pre-reqs, and some extra. I ended with 60 semester hours in post-bacc.

@SymphonyNo9
I am so glad to find your posting. I did my bachelor in Pharmacy overseas and I obtained Doctor of Pharmacy in US school. I have been working as a pharmacist for 8 years and thinking about going to a med school. Some medical school has admission criteria saying " A graduate or professional degree earned in US may be substituted for the bachelor's degree if the bachelor was obtained overseas" so I am hoping I don't need to do whole 4 year bachelor course again. I don't mind doing pre-req course/or more for 60 credits for 2 years or so.

1. If AMCAS doesn't take foreign degrees, how do they calculate GPA? only within those 60 credits? then it looks like I only get 60 credits which is not a full bachelor's degree, it looks like an incomplete application. ( how do they know if I had a bachelor's overseas if I can't put any info in AMCAS)

2. My foreign bachelor's GPA is pretty low and if AMCAS doesn't even count, that would be a great news. I can focus on pre-req and get a stella MCAT (hopefully) Am I understanding correctly? (unless the school asks for transcripts later - which does not always happen)

3. I have looked all over the post to find the your school list that people talk about, I can't find it. Do you mind sending it or share with us?

thank you so much. This is my first day on this forum and really inspired to see your post!
hope all is well with you

1. In the AMCAS, only courses taken in the US will be counted toward GPA (you can still put in your foreign courses, they just won't verify them). I believe there are spaces in the AMCAS for you to fill in your education info.

2. That's about right. You can't change your past GPA and predict how schools will interpret your GPA. So just do your best on what you can control.

3. It's at the end of the post, a dropbox link I think.

@SymphonyNo9 Thanks for your reply! so GPA is going to be only calculated for the courses that i will take here in US, right? Should I put also GPA that i had obtained overseas or just the information that i finished my bachelor oversea without GPA details?
one more question, Did you work and study to get those 60 hours or were you a full time student?
Thanks again.
Yes, the GPA on the AMCAS is only from your US courses. I'm not sure what will happen if you don't put your foreign courses in, at least I've never done that. To show you have done more courses, putting them into the AMCAS is probably a good idea.
I was basically a full-time student, except spending a bunch of time volunteering, shadowing, and studying MCAT at the same time.

Thanks a lot for putting the effort in summarizing all your experience and sharing it with people. I cannot appreciate it enough. I just saw your post and have some questions for you.
We are almost on the same boat. I did my undergrad in a foreign country about 16 years ago in engineering with a terrible GPA (2.4):(. Then finished my masters 11 years ago in the US with 3.4 GPA, also in engineering, and have been working ever since as a professional engineer. For mane reasons....I decided to go to medicine. I have been taking the science courses in a community college since summer 2016. I even retook physics. I have one more bio and the second Ochem to complete the prerequisites, and I will end up with 56 units total. So far my GPA is 3.91. Unfortunately, no clinical experience yet due to work schedule. Although, spent thousands of hours in hospitals as a chemo patient's son (I doubt that I can claim those hours).
My desired schools require an upper division bio and an upper division biochem in addition to the regular prerequisites, both must be taken at a university not a community college. I have no idea where to take them though. My only option is the UCSD post bacc, that's another year added, if I get accepted, but they have a linkage to a DO school. Question: how and where can I take the upper division courses? Also could you share with me your MCAT score and GPA please?
Sorry, I wasn't planning to write too much.

Thanks a lot for putting the effort in summarizing all your experience and sharing it with people. I cannot appreciate it enough. I just saw your post and have some questions for you.
We are almost on the same boat. I did my undergrad in a foreign country about 16 years ago in engineering with a terrible GPA (2.4):(. Then finished my masters 11 years ago in the US with 3.4 GPA, also in engineering, and have been working ever since as a professional engineer. For mane reasons....I decided to go to medicine. I have been taking the science courses in a community college since summer 2016. I even retook physics. I have one more bio and the second Ochem to complete the prerequisites, and I will end up with 56 units total. So far my GPA is 3.91. Unfortunately, no clinical experience yet due to work schedule. Although, spent thousands of hours in hospitals as a chemo patient's son (I doubt that I can claim those hours).
My desired schools require an upper division bio and an upper division biochem in addition to the regular prerequisites, both must be taken at a university not a community college. I have no idea where to take them though. My only option is the UCSD post bacc, that's another year added, if I get accepted, but they have a linkage to a DO school. Question: how and where can I take the upper division courses? Also could you share with me your MCAT score and GPA please?
Sorry, I wasn't planning to write too much.
If you want Symphony to reply, you should probably tag them or reply to their post so they get tagged.

@SymphonyNo9

As far as upper div bio and biochem, I don't think you need a UCSD postbacc just to take two classes. Besides, the postbacc would have you retake Phy, Chem, Bio, and Ochem that you have already taken. I think a better option would be to just take those two classes. USD and SDSU both have "open university" programs that you can use. The only thing is that you are last to register, and can only register if there are open spots in the class. However, since it's not the basic pre-reqs that you need, pretty sure you'll find an open spot at one of these two. Also, very likely that these classes will be daytime only. Since SDSU has the open university program, pretty sure CSU San Marcos has the same, if you're willing to drive that far. Finally there's National University but not sure if they have the open university concept - you can always email and ask. But keep in mind that NU, like UCSD uses a quarter system, not semester, so you'll need to take two bio and two biochem to meet the credit hours needed. If all else fails, there's UNE online which most if not all DO schools, and some MD schools accept. There's a few others as well - I think Colorado State and North Dakota State? that offer some online courses.

As to adding another year, if you've not logged in "clinical" hours as of now, you probably won't do well to apply this year. You'd be looking at 2019 anyway. Suggest you start on that immediately to be on track for 2019. It can be hard to find "clinical" opportunities. Suggest you specifically ask about what volunteers do at any place before you sign up. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting stuck in the gift shop or at the front desk reception after going through a 2 month application process and background check and all that jazz.

If you want Symphony to reply, you should probably tag them or reply to their post so they get tagged.

@SymphonyNo9

As far as upper div bio and biochem, I don't think you need a UCSD postbacc just to take two classes. Besides, the postbacc would have you retake Phy, Chem, Bio, and Ochem that you have already taken. I think a better option would be to just take those two classes. USD and SDSU both have "open university" programs that you can use. The only thing is that you are last to register, and can only register if there are open spots in the class. However, since it's not the basic pre-reqs that you need, pretty sure you'll find an open spot at one of these two. Also, very likely that these classes will be daytime only. Since SDSU has the open university program, pretty sure CSU San Marcos has the same, if you're willing to drive that far. Finally there's National University but not sure if they have the open university concept - you can always email and ask. But keep in mind that NU, like UCSD uses a quarter system, not semester, so you'll need to take two bio and two biochem to meet the credit hours needed. If all else fails, there's UNE online which most if not all DO schools, and some MD schools accept. There's a few others as well - I think Colorado State and North Dakota State? that offer some online courses.

As to adding another year, if you've not logged in "clinical" hours as of now, you probably won't do well to apply this year. You'd be looking at 2019 anyway. Suggest you start on that immediately to be on track for 2019. It can be hard to find "clinical" opportunities. Suggest you specifically ask about what volunteers do at any place before you sign up. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting stuck in the gift shop or at the front desk reception after going through a 2 month application process and background check and all that jazz.
Dullhead, I just signed up here and am still trying to learn how it works. But, thanks so much for the information. I will definitely look into them. As far as UCSD postbacc, their program is different than most post baccs. You must have finished all medical school prerequisites before you can apply. The purpose is to boost your chance and GPA. They just offer bio chem, a couple of upper div bio and a bunch of MCAT prep courses. What makes it appealing to me is 1) linkage 2) 94% of their students are accepted to med schools 3) Although, no linkage to USCD, but 18 out of 26 students got accepted to UCSD med school 2 years ago, according to the program director. So, the program is designed to fulfill UCSD. requirements.

Dullhead, I just signed up here and am still trying to learn how it works. But, thanks so much for the information. I will definitely look into them. As far as UCSD postbacc, their program is different than most post baccs. You must have finished all medical school prerequisites before you can apply. The purpose is to boost your chance and GPA. They just offer bio chem, a couple of upper div bio and a bunch of MCAT prep courses. What makes it appealing to me is 1) linkage 2) 94% of their students are accepted to med schools 3) Although, no linkage to USCD, but 18 out of 26 students got accepted to UCSD med school 2 years ago, according to the program director. So, the program is designed to fulfill UCSD. requirements.
No worries. A full time postbacc was not an option for me, so I never looked closely at UCSD's program, but you're right about the curriculum. Good luck whatever you decide.

Hi,
I am a foreign pharmacist. My degree was evaluated from ECE that is equal to the Bachelors of Pharmacy in USA. Should I go for any post baccalaureate program?

Hi,
I am a foreign pharmacist. My degree was evaluated from ECE that is equal to the Bachelors of Pharmacy in USA. Should I go for any post baccalaureate program?
All foreign graduates I've met, including myself, had our degrees evaluated saying that it's equivalent to a US bachelor of science or so. But that doesn't mean that your courses were taken in the US. Remember that the requirement usually says minimum of 90 hours of courses at a US accredited college, and if the education if foreign you need at least 1 year study in a N America college. Different schools have different requirement statements, but I don't think that a WES or ECE evaluation is the solution.

Reactions: 1 users
All foreign graduates I've met, including myself, had our degrees evaluated saying that it's equivalent to a US bachelor of science or so. But that doesn't mean that your courses were taken in the US. Remember that the requirement usually says minimum of 90 hours of courses at a US accredited college, and if the education if foreign you need at least 1 year study in a N America college. Different schools have different requirement statements, but I don't think that a WES or ECE evaluation is the solution.
I understand. I am contacting various institutions for post bacc programs. I need your suggestions. I want to work as well since I am supporting myself. So What would you recommend? I can earn a decent money for my accommodation and I can also course work. However, your suggestion will help me. Do you know any post bacc programs that accept foreign graduates?

I understand. I am contacting various institutions for post bacc programs. I need your suggestions. I want to work as well since I am supporting myself. So What would you recommend? I can earn a decent money for my accommodation and I can also course work. However, your suggestion will help me. Do you know any post bacc programs that accept foreign graduates?

Post bacc programs will accept anyone as long as you complete their requirements or pre-requisites. Btw did you get your US RPH license?

Not yet. I am doing my internship and preparing to take NAPLEX in 3 months or so. Is it gonna be helpful?

I am in talks with some schools. One in Boston says that they will give me 30 hour post bacc program. I couldn't understand that.

Last edited:
I am in talks with some schools. One in Boston says that they will give me 30 hour post bacc program. I couldn't understand that.

First, for working while doing post-bacc: I know people do that. There are programs that offer evening courses so that people can work full-time or part-time during the day. It's gonna be difficult for sure, but you can succeed if you work hard.

Secondly, for post-bacc programs that accept foreign graduates: To my understanding, not all programs do, but there are definitely some. Unfortunately not all of them have a clear statement about it on their website based on my experience. So emailing them will be your best choice.

Finally, I don't understand what the Boston school means either without knowing the context. Why don't you ask them to clarify? Be sure to decide if you want to take the pre-requisites (again) in the post-bacc or the upper-level courses. I know some med schools only require X number of semester hours and don't care about which courses, but certainly some want pre-requisites.

Northeastern University in Boston. They are offering post bacc. Well, I did not send my assessment from WES or ECE. However, the enrollment coach said that you had to take courses between 30-40 credit hours. It will be one year program.

Do you need to take the SATs to be accepted to a US University if you hold a foreign degree?

Thank you so much for the post. I have an international bachelor as well and I have been contemplating whether I should do post-bac pre med or a second bachelor all together since I would technically still need to do at least 60 credits anyways from postbac and I can probably transfer some credits over to do a second bachelor instead. Would you mind terribly sharing your list of schools for type 1-6? Thank you!

Do you need to take the SATs to be accepted to a US University if you hold a foreign degree?
I went to a post-bacc program, which does not require the SAT. I also applied and got accepted to a 2nd bachelor program that doesn't require it either.

Thank you so much for the post. I have an international bachelor as well and I have been contemplating whether I should do post-bac pre med or a second bachelor all together since I would technically still need to do at least 60 credits anyways from postbac and I can probably transfer some credits over to do a second bachelor instead. Would you mind terribly sharing your list of schools for type 1-6? Thank you!

A 2nd bachelor program probably won't let you retake the courses you already have on your undergrad transcripts. If so, you'll have to take upper level courses. And the problem becomes whether that fulfills the requirement of US pre-req. The list is linked at the end of this post.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for creating this thread! Can you please send me your list as well?

TIA!

Your post has brought my stress level down so much because I literally thought I was the only one in that situation. I have so many additional questions which I am sure you would know the answer to. So my situation: I am also a US citizen, born and brought up in the US. I did one year at the University of Texas at Austin and then after realizing I needed to get out and really experience the world (and many other reasons), I decided to do my bachelors degree in Biochemical Engineering at KU Leuven in Belgium. I know that on your post the schools in your link that are marked WES accept foreign diplomas, but can I apply for the MD programs that want "1 year in the US" since I did one year of undergrad here? Do u know any other schools that accept foreign diplomas? I will literally apply to all of them XD

Your post has brought my stress level down so much because I literally thought I was the only one in that situation. I have so many additional questions which I am sure you would know the answer to. So my situation: I am also a US citizen, born and brought up in the US. I did one year at the University of Texas at Austin and then after realizing I needed to get out and really experience the world (and many other reasons), I decided to do my bachelors degree in Biochemical Engineering at KU Leuven in Belgium. I know that on your post the schools in your link that are marked WES accept foreign diplomas, but can I apply for the MD programs that want "1 year in the US" since I did one year of undergrad here? Do u know any other schools that accept foreign diplomas? I will literally apply to all of them XD

You’re actually in a better situation than I was. Do you have your prerequisites that might be equivalent? The good news is that many schools now don’t require prerequisite course but just general competencies.

I’m off to work. But DM me and I’m send you my list this weekend.

Just in case anyone has a question about DO school application with a foreign bachelors degree, I got 3 acceptances on the 2018-2019 Cycle. I took 60 credits here that covers most of the Prerequisite courses. My GPA is 3.7 and I got 500 on the MCAT. I know my MCAT is below average but I did my best while working 50 hours a week and taking a class at community college. Applied to 7 DO schools, interviewed at 3 and accepted to 3. The point of my post here is to give anyone hope that you don't have to be a rockstar to be accepted. DO schools are far more accommodating to students with a foreign degree and non-traditional student like me.

Reactions: 3 users
Just in case anyone has a question about DO school application with a foreign bachelors degree, I got 3 acceptances on the 2018-2019 Cycle. I took 60 credits here that covers most of the Prerequisite courses. My GPA is 3.7 and I got 500 on the MCAT. I know my MCAT is below average but I did my best while working 50 hours a week and taking a class at community college. Applied to 7 DO schools, interviewed at 3 and accepted to 3. The point of my post here is to give anyone hope that you don't have to be a rockstar to be accepted. DO schools are far more accommodating to students with a foreign degree and non-traditional student like me.

Wow. I didn’t know that. I looked at the DO school requirements for quite a few schools and saw that I wasn’t eligible with my foreign degree. Maybe 60 credits was the cut off. I’ve a PhD from the US but only 12 credits of undergrad.

Was your foreign bachelor's degree evaluated at all? And how was your performance on it?

Was your foreign bachelor's degree evaluated at all? And how was your performance on it?
Yes, it was evaluated and even gave me a credit towards the prerequisite for med school. My undergrad GPA is 3.7 and my GPA here in US is 3.9.

Wow. I didn’t know that. I looked at the DO school requirements for quite a few schools and saw that I wasn’t eligible with my foreign degree. Maybe 60 credits was the cut off. I’ve a PhD from the US but only 12 credits of undergrad.
You should check out the University of New England and Lincoln Memorial University.

So I got my foreign undergrad evaluated by WES. They gave me a 3.94 GPA. However, the schools I got into didn’t ask for WES, just the original transcripts. So I don’t seem as competitive as others who did undergrad in the US. And I didn’t get a merit scholarship (I do have pretty good stats)

Just something to think about when applying.

So I got my foreign undergrad evaluated by WES. They gave me a 3.94 GPA. However, the schools I got into didn’t ask for WES, just the original transcripts. So I don’t seem as competitive as others who did undergrad in the US. And I didn’t get a merit scholarship (I do have pretty good stats)

Just something to think about when applying.

My situation is the opposite of your.. my GPA with WES is way below 3.0. My post bacc grades are all As for now. So I don’t know how this will factor in for me. The school I want to attend requests for the WES evaluation..

My situation is the opposite of your.. my GPA with WES is way below 3.0. My post bacc grades are all As for now. So I don’t know how this will factor in for me. The school I want to attend requests for the WES evaluation..

Some of the schools I applied to did. So happen that the ones that I got into didn’t.

Two are top 20 and one didn’t take out of state students. Lol

If anyone wants my list, let me know. I’m just trying to pay it forward. @SymphonyNo9 and @Scottish Chap helped me quite a bit. I got into two MD schools with their kind advice.

Disclaimer: I went thru all 140+ MD schools (the few DO schools I looked at seemed to require undergrad done in the US). Then I shortlisted those that didn’t require undergrad done in the US. Some accepted a higher degree from the US in lieu of a bachelors done here and some just wanted WES and one (Michigan, I think) wanted 90 credit hours but graduate work counted toward the 90 credit hours. I do not have many undergrad credits done in the US (only 12). So I took out those that requires 30 or 90 undergrad credits. I also removed those that only took instate students (there was one in GA) and MUSC takes out of state if you have close ties to SC. And I’m a US citizen. I’m a FL resident so please check your own state schools.

Also, things change from year to year so while I did my best on the list, I can’t guarantee it’s 100% correct.

So if you want my list, send me a DM.