A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SymphonyNo9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being on SDN for a while, and fortunately enough getting an acceptance from an med school, I would like to contribute something. I've seen a few posts here related to this topic. So I think it might be a good idea to make a guide (it’s more like sharing my thought) and initiate a discussion about applying US med school with foreign, non-Canadian, bachelor degree. I wrote this based on my own experience, so please correct me if I’m wrong.
I would start with my story, and you can ask me about it too.

I’m a US citizen, born in the US. I grew up in a foreign country and completed my college there. No degree in the US. Native language is not English. ORM.

Outside of the US: I have some leadership experiences, only limited community (non-clinical) volunteering. Done some research without any publication/poster. Bio major with mediocre GPA.

In the US: I will have been in the US for 3 years before getting into med school, 2 years in a post-bacc program for pre-reqs with 60 semester hours, and 1 gap year for working and applying. ECs include clinical volunteering, shadowing, and more research in the gap year. Better post-bacc GPA.

I’m also a re-applicant with 4 years in between. MCAT twice, from a mediocre to a high score. I applied ~10 schools at the first time, no interview and no acceptance. The second time I applied significantly more schools, got some interviews, with at least an acceptance.

Citizenship:

It is significantly better if you have a US citizenship or a green card. Most med schools require one. However, I personally know a few international students who have done well and got accepted to some particular schools. If you are an international student, ask the schools or check on their websites to find out the eligibility.

Course Requirement: (the most important part, IMO)

Med schools have different course requirements, especially for us who did not attend to a US/Canadian college. I emailed/called a lot of schools to ask or to confirm what’s on their websites. Based on what I got, the requirement can be categorized into the following:
  1. A US bachelor degree is required. Mayo has been mentioned several times. I found some other schools have the same requirement.

2. An advanced degree in the US is required, such as a master or PhD, with a foreign bachelor degree. I personally don’t have one, and I don’t remember seeing many of them.

3. 30, 60, or 90 semester hours in the US, with a foreign bachelor degree. A lot of schools are in this category, IIRC. Some schools might require all undergraduate level courses, while some accept master/PhD level courses.

4. 1 or 2 years of study in the US, with a foreign bachelor degree. Might be undergraduate level or other advanced degree level depending on schools.

5. Prerequisites in the US. What courses count as prerequisites also depends on schools.

6. International/foreign degrees or credits are acceptable. They are rare but they do exist.
As you can see, some categories are overlapping. I personally did 60 semester hours including pre-reqs, and that’s a 2-year full-time study in the US. That limits me from applying schools that require a US degree or 90 hours, but I do have plenty schools to choose from categories 3~6.

That being said, you can go through different paths. I know some people using their extra time to take pre-reqs while doing a master/PhD in the US. You can also go to a formal or DIY post-bacc program. A second bachelor degree is another good choice. I’m not sure about transferring credits to US schools, but in theory this might work.

Bottom line, a foreign/non-Canadian bachelor degree is acceptable and not required in most cases if you have some coursework done in the US. If you have an advanced degree in the US, it’s a plus. If you have a 2nd bachelor in the US, you’re golden. And ask schools about their policies if needed.

AMCAS:

The foreign coursework will not be verified by the AMCAS and you don’t need to send the foreign transcript, period. I listed all of them anyway to let schools see my other courses. Nevertheless, if you only have foreign coursework in the AMCAS, your GPA in it is zero. Your GPA in the AMCAS will be calculated from your US coursework. (This actually works in my favor) Some schools might want to see your foreign courses and degree evaluation from WES or similar corporations, but it’s not required by the AMCAS. I personally had not been asked for one for med school application.

ECs:

Just like other applicants, we need all sorts of ECs. However, in addition to leadership, sports, artistic endeavor, etc., I strongly suggest a good amount of clinical exposure in the US even if you have done some oversea. Clinical volunteering or shadowing are necessary, IMO. The reason is that you have to be familiar with the health care in the US.

Others:

I didn’t specifically bring up anything about why I want to come to the US in the primary app, secondaries, or interviews. I was only asked in a few interviews to compare the health care in two different countries. However, be prepared for this “why US” type of question.

Strategy:

As everyone else, my strategy for applying was to maximize my chance. Yet, I didn’t want to do research while doing my US coursework, so no Master or PhD. I also wanted to take the risk of not spending a long time. Therefore, I planned my own path and fortunately it works. So plan your path according to your own situation.

I also have done extensive research on the course requirement of most, if not all, schools. It’s important to know which schools you want to go to and you are eligible to apply. Then it will be an easier, maybe only slightly, work when generating a school list for primary application.

Finally, please remember there are many aspects in the application, GPA, MCAT, PS, ECs, LORs, secondaries, interviews, etc. This is only my personal experience and opinion for planning a path and finding out chances before applying with a unique situation. Also, I believe it’s far from comprehensive since my knowledge is limited. I also don’t have enough experience with DO schools, transfer courses, community college, etc.

Feedback, questions, and discussions are welcome. PM me if needed. Special thanks to many wise SDNers that are answering the questions or spreading out useful information.

Edit: Here's my school list:

Like you might know, I only have researched the schools/states I potentially wanted to go, so it's not a complete list. The green ones are roughly the ones that I applied to. Obviously, your school list should be according to your stats. And please note that I had 60 semester hours (including pre-reqs) in the US when I applied. So for above reasons, you could and should certainly contact the schools you are interested in, and confirmed with them.
Still, feel free to ask questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 39 users
Good summary. Thanks for that. Your post should really be a sticky in this forum. Good to know that you were able to make it with 60 credits. I will have close to 80 by the time I'm ready to apply so I figured I just add a few more courses and push it to 90 just to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Good summary. Thanks for that. Your post should really be a sticky in this forum. Good to know that you were able to make it with 60 credits. I will have close to 80 by the time I'm ready to apply so I figured I just add a few more courses and push it to 90 just to be safe.

Thank you.
I do believe that having 90 credits will open up a lot more chances for you. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for posting and sharing your stats!
Btw, would you mind sharing the medical schools for each category? Specially those that accept 30-60 semester hours/ credits?

I have been trying to email and call medical schools in my state, but so far I'm kinda confused since they would sometimes give a different response as to what is posted on their website. I wasn't sure if this was normal.

Thanks for posting and sharing your stats!
Btw, would you mind sharing the medical schools for each category? Specially those that accept 30-60 semester hours/ credits?

I have been trying to email and call medical schools in my state, but so far I'm kinda confused since they would sometimes give a different response as to what is posted on their website. I wasn't sure if this was normal.

You're welcome.

Yes, I think sometimes both their website and their response might be vague or confusing, especially when you look at them together. Also the application process is pretty unpredictable.
For example, an adcom member told me in person that their school requires 90 semester hours. However, I eventually got an interview even though I'm still waiting for their decision.
There are also a bunch of schools that my stats are higher than their average (perhaps not "too" high), but I got rejected before getting an interview. IDK if it's because of my degree and credits.

Based on my experience, I wouldn't trust if the website says something like "applicants must complete a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university". The "minimum of 90 semester hours" statement might be doubtful too since it seems too generic (think about a US college senior applying med schools with only 90 credits). If the website says some more specific numbers like 30, 32, or 60 semester hours, it's more trustworthy IMO. I would also look into their website to find inf0 specific for people with foreign degree. The info might be in "FAQ" or "international students" pages. However, if the website info is still inconsistent with what they respond, I personally would trust what they said.

I don't have my list with me right now at the office. I may share it too you later.

After being on SDN for a while, and fortunately enough getting an acceptance from an med school, I would like to contribute something. I've seen a few posts here related to this topic. So I think it might be a good idea to make a guide (it’s more like sharing my thought) and initiate a discussion about applying US med school with foreign, non-Canadian, bachelor degree. I wrote this based on my own experience, so please correct me if I’m wrong.

I’m a US citizen, born in the US. I grew up in a foreign country and completed my college there. No degree in the US. Native language is not English. ORM.

Outside of the US: I have some leadership experiences, only limited community (non-clinical) volunteering. Done some research without any publication/poster. Bio major with mediocre GPA.

In the US: I will have been in the US for 3 years before getting into med school, 2 years in a post-bacc program for pre-reqs with 60 semester hours, and 1 gap year for working and applying. ECs include clinical volunteering, shadowing, and more research in the gap year. Better post-bacc GPA.

I’m also a re-applicant with 4 years in between. MCAT twice, from a mediocre to a high score. I applied ~10 schools at the first time, no interview and no acceptance. The second time I applied significantly more schools, got some interviews, with at least an acceptance.

Citizenship:

It is significantly better if you have a US citizenship or a green card. Most med schools require one. However, I personally know a few international students who have done well and got accepted to some particular schools. If you are an international student, ask the schools or check on their websites to find out the eligibility.

Med schools have different course requirements, especially for us who did not attend to a US/Canadian college. I emailed/called a lot of schools to ask or to confirm what’s on their websites. Based on what I got, the requirement can be categorized into the following:
  1. A US bachelor degree is required. Mayo has been mentioned several times. I found some other schools have the same requirement.

2. An advanced degree in the US is required, such as a master or PhD, with a foreign bachelor degree. I personally don’t have one, and I don’t remember seeing many of them.

3. 30, 60, or 90 semester hours in the US, with a foreign bachelor degree. A lot of schools are in this category, IIRC. Some schools might require all undergraduate level courses, while some accept master/PhD level courses.

4. 1 or 2 years of study in the US, with a foreign bachelor degree. Might be undergraduate level or other advanced degree level depending on schools.

5. Prerequisites in the US. What courses count as prerequisites also depends on schools.

6. International/foreign degrees or credits are acceptable. They are rare but they do exist.
As you can see, some categories are overlapping. I personally did 60 semester hours including pre-reqs, and that’s a 2-year full-time study in the US. That limits me from applying schools that require a US degree or 90 hours, but I do have plenty schools to choose from categories 3~6.

That being said, you can go through different paths. I know some people using their extra time to take pre-reqs while doing a master/PhD in the US. You can also go to a formal or DIY post-bacc program. A second bachelor degree is another good choice. I’m not sure about transferring credits to US schools, but in theory this might work.

Bottom line, a foreign/non-Canadian bachelor degree is acceptable and not required in most cases if you have some coursework done in the US. If you have an advanced degree in the US, it’s a plus. If you have a 2nd bachelor in the US, you’re golden. And ask schools about their policies if needed.

AMCAS:

The foreign coursework will not be verified by the AMCAS and you don’t need to send the foreign transcript, period. I listed all of them anyway to let schools see my other courses. Nevertheless, if you only have foreign coursework in the AMCAS, your GPA in it is zero. Your GPA in the AMCAS will be calculated from your US coursework. (This actually works in my favor) Some schools might want to see your foreign courses and degree evaluation from WES or similar corporations, but it’s not required by the AMCAS. I personally had not been asked for one for med school application.

ECs:

Just like other applicants, we need all sorts of ECs. However, in addition to leadership, sports, artistic endeavor, etc., I strongly suggest a good amount of clinical exposure in the US even if you have done some oversea. Clinical volunteering or shadowing are necessary, IMO. The reason is that you have to be familiar with the health care in the US.

Others:

I didn’t specifically bring up anything about why I want to come to the US in the primary app, secondaries, or interviews. I was only asked in a few interviews to compare the health care in two different countries. However, be prepared for this “why US” type of question.

Strategy:

As everyone else, my strategy for applying was to maximize my chance. Yet, I didn’t want to do research while doing my US coursework, so no Master or PhD. I also wanted to take the risk of not spending a long time. Therefore, I planned my own path and fortunately it works. So plan your path according to your own situation.

I also have done extensive research on the course requirement of most, if not all, schools. It’s important to know which schools you want to go to and you are eligible to apply. Then it will be an easier, maybe only slightly, work when generating a school list for primary application.

Finally, please remember there are many aspects in the application, GPA, MCAT, PS, ECs, LORs, secondaries, interviews, etc. This is only my personal experience and opinion for planning a path and finding out chances before applying with a unique situation. Also, I believe it’s far from comprehensive since my knowledge is limited. I also don’t have enough experience with DO schools, transfer courses, community college, etc.

Feedback, questions, and discussions are welcome. PM me if needed. Special thanks to many wise SDNers that are answering the questions or spreading out useful information.
Thank you so much for this information!
I have a Bachelor' Degree from another country and this information is very helpful for me. I was thinking about second bachelor's degree for me now, but started to think about maybe Masters. (I have some classes from local community college, but after reading Internet, I realized that university classes will give me more chances.)
What is your impression of the your postbac program? Very intense?

Thanks, again!

Thank you so much for this information!
I have a Bachelor' Degree from another country and this information is very helpful for me. I was thinking about second bachelor's degree for me now, but started to think about maybe Masters. (I have some classes from local community college, but after reading Internet, I realized that university classes will give me more chances.)
What is your impression of the your postbac program? Very intense?

Thanks, again!

I went to a "career changer" postbac program, with my preexisting Bio degree. The situation was like I was retaking the courses, so it was not intense for me. However, I don't know if there are other postbac programs at other schools willing to accept students like me.
I can image pursuing a Master degree would be fun, if it's not too intense for you to fulfill the prerequisite or semester hour requirements.

Thank you so much. I am in a very similar situation except I have a US doctoral degree. The work you have done saved me so much time. Again, thank you.

Citizenship:

AMCAS:

ECs:

Others:

Strategy:

Thank you for your comprehensive summary! These information are very useful for international students who are planning to apply US medical schools!

Thank you so much. I am in a very similar situation except I have a US doctoral degree. The work you have done saved me so much time. Again, thank you.

Having a US doctoral degree may actually help. I think there are some schools that accept either undergraduate or graduate level degree, so that you don't have to retake courses.
Do check the specific requirement with schools. And good luck!

Thank you for your comprehensive summary! These information are very useful for international students who are planning to apply US medical schools!

No problem. The process is harder for international students due the citizenship issue. There are definitely some schools that don't accept or have limited seats for international students.
I'm glad that my post helps.

Thank you for well written information. Do you mind to share your application strategy, like how many schools in each tier? Did you just apply for MD schools?

Thank you for well written information. Do you mind to share your application strategy, like how many schools in each tier? Did you just apply for MD schools?

You're welcome.
I thought about applying DO and got the AACOMAS ready in October/November before an MD acceptance. But eventually I applied MD only.

Personally, I applied about 30 MDs, 6 are generally considered top tier, another 6 are low tier, and the others are mid. (With the stats I got, people suggested more top tier schools)
I suggest go to the WAMC and post your stats/ECs/... and maybe your own school list to ask others' opinions. They are professional and helpful.
For me, the location is the biggest concern, so I added and deleted schools based on my own desire. And of course I applied based on the schools' requirements.

My general advice would be: get ready early, including PS, LORs, MCAT, primary submission, and even pre-writing secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, This is really helpful, Would you please share your list of the schools?

Thank you so much for your story. As a person being in the very beginning of this long path, I find it extremely helpful! So I have a foreign masters degree (non-science field), currently going through receiving my permanent residency. I thought of applying to postbacc program, but seems like none of them in my area accept foreign diploma as a base. So I guess the best solution for me will be to transfer my foreign credit to local community college, and get a separate bachelors degree there. I might not even need postbacc at this point, if I manage to cover all of the pre-requisites. I still have so many questions... I just guess the first few steps I'm taking will lead me to the right direction...

May I also receive a list of your schools?

And would anyone know if OHSU accepts a foreign degree? I'm hoping that it's not considered in their calculation.

Thank you very much!

I didn't know much about OHSU, hope someone with more knowledge can contribute.

However, I did apply there, and they asked me for the WES evaluation after the secondary was done. I believe that means they want to see my foreign coursework. I eventually didn't send the WES, thus application incomplete, since I was accepted to other schools when they asked for it. So I'm not exactly sure how they calculate the GPA or if they include the foreign courses or not.

@SymphonyNo9
Thank you so much for all the information you've provided, I am in a similar situation with a foreign Bachelors taking the prereqs in a community college. Thinking of applying with 60 units like you did. I have been in US for over 7 years (been a citizen for 3) and I have been an EMT here for at least 5 years plus I have shadowing experience and planning to do research in molecular biology this summer. Getting another bachelors doesn't sound tempting at all right now (I'm already 28). If possible could you please PM me the list of schools you applied to it would be really helpful to see which schools would accept students with 60+ units since getting that information from them is so difficult.

Thanks in advance.

You're welcome.
I thought about applying DO and got the AACOMAS ready in October/November before an MD acceptance. But eventually I applied MD only.

Personally, I applied about 30 MDs, 6 are generally considered top tier, another 6 are low tier, and the others are mid. (With the stats I got, people suggested more top tier schools)
I suggest go to the WAMC and post your stats/ECs/... and maybe your own school list to ask others' opinions. They are professional and helpful.
For me, the location is the biggest concern, so I added and deleted schools based on my own desire. And of course I applied based on the schools' requirements.

My general advice would be: get ready early, including PS, LORs, MCAT, primary submission, and even pre-writing secondaries.
do you mind to PM your gpa & mcat & the list of medical school?

Thank you.

Hi,
I have same situation: Us citizen with undergrad abroad.
If you do not mind, can you please let me know which postbac program did you enroll in and what courses did you take every semester?
Also did you take federal loans? How much debt did you incur? I do not have financial resources to pay for postbac so I need to take loans.
Thanks.

Could you please pm the list to me, too?
Hi,
I have same situation: Us citizen with undergrad abroad.
If you do not mind, can you please let me know which postbac program did you enroll in and what courses did you take every semester?
Also did you take federal loans? How much debt did you incur? I do not have financial resources to pay for postbac so I need to take loans.
Thanks.
PM'd

Please PM me your list of schools. Thank you.

Thank you very much for the information! I have a foreign degree and taking the prereqs in the college. Could you please PM me list of the schools? Thank you.

I am 33 and a permanent resident. I have a Ph.D. from S.Korea. I completed my MS and BS in Biotechnology from India. Will I still have to take some prerequisites in the US? Apart from premed advisors, is there someone I can contact in AAMC to evaluate my CV and background?
I have over 6 years of research experience. Having a full-time job does not leave me with much time for shadowing/volunteering. I wonder if research experience, publications and patents count. I am confused about where to start. Anyone in the same boat as I am?

Thanks!

I am 33 and a permanent resident. I have a Ph.D. from S.Korea. I completed my MS and BS in Biotechnology from India. Will I still have to take some prerequisites in the US? Apart from premed advisors, is there someone I can contact in AAMC to evaluate my CV and background?
I have over 6 years of research experience. Having a full-time job does not leave me with much time for shadowing/volunteering. I wonder if research experience, publications and patents count. I am confused about where to start. Anyone in the same boat as I am?

Thanks!

Not exactly in the same boat, but I'll try to answer your question based on my knowledge.

About the prereqs, I think you should take a look at the course requirement webpages of the med schools you want to apply. Most schools require some coursework done in the US, preferably prereqs. However, I don't believe AAMC will evaluate your application content before you apply. Premed advisors from your school, SDNers, and maybe someone with medicine/academic background you know are the best bets.

I totally understand how having a full-time job can limit your time and energy. I do believe that ADCOM would like to see your dedication through volunteering experience, and your understanding of medicine as a career through shadowing. Research and publications are great plus, but I think you might need certain amount of volunteering and shadowing experience. Maybe you could spend an afternoon every week?

Could you pm me your list of the med schools? Thank you!

Could you please PM me the list of med schools? Many thanks!

Hello symphony,
Im an american citizen and I have a Biology degree from Tel aviv University in Israel. My GPA from WES is 3.94
I have been researching many schools websites and i have few questions:
Are there universities that can take only my foreign degree if my MCAT is really high?
If i do a year in any US college/university, will i have to do again all the premed required courses (in one year?)?
Are there universities that are satisfied by 30 credits which are not necceserly premeds, and then count my requirments from my foreign degree?
Plus i would love to get the list of your courses you did to cover your application please :)

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Hello symphony,
Im an american citizen and I have a Biology degree from Tel aviv University in Israel. My GPA from WES is 3.94
I have been researching many schools websites and i have few questions:
Are there universities that can take only my foreign degree if my MCAT is really high?
If i do a year in any US college/university, will i have to do again all the premed required courses (in one year?)?
Are there universities that are satisfied by 30 credits which are not necceserly premeds, and then count my requirments from my foreign degree?
Plus i would love to get the list of your courses you did to cover your application please :)

Thanks a lot for all the help!

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, there are schools (few) that accept foreign undergrad degree, but that's irrelevant to your MCAT score.
2. 3. A year of college is roughly 30 credits. It depends on schools that whether they require US pre-reqs. I think the majority of schools do require US pre-reqs, which should be roughly 45 credits depending on schools.

It's nice that you have good GPA, and maybe or potentially good MCAT, but the requirements are requirements.
I'll PM you the list.

Thanks for the info @SymphonyNo9 could you PM me your list of schools. In particular which schools take foreign bachelors.

Hi, can you send me a list of schools and courses you took? Thanks for this post, it's very helpful. I did my undergrad in a foreign country too and is currently working as a physical therapist for 7 years now. But I want to change career and pursue medicine. I'm thinking into getting non science classes through community college and science classes through university. But I also want to start on MCAT and take it early next year.

Thanks!
Me! I am a citizen now though. I got my PhD here in the US but foreign undergrad. I'm doing on and off volunteering, science fairs, science Olympiad etc. No time to volunteer at hospitals.

What counts a clinical volunteering btw?

@SymphonyNo9

I did my undergrad in biochemistry in Australia and PhD in Immunoloy in the US. I'm a citizen now.

Do they care what courses I took? I never took physics or psychology.

Can I have the list please? I've only found 10-12 schools so far. Thank you so much.

Last edited:

Citizenship:

AMCAS:

ECs:

Others:

Strategy:

Many thanks for the useful guide and information - by far one of the most comprehensive overview regarding this topic on SDN so far. I would also greatly appreciate it if you could PM your list of schools (by category). Thank you !

Thank you SymphonyNo9 for the extensive and extremely helpful response. I am a permanent resident of the US however I have a foreign bachelor's degree. Currently, I am getting my Master's from a US institution. I want to apply to med schools. I'm considering either getting my bachelors degree from the US (since it makes me eligible to apply to all the US med schools) or enrolling in the post bac program.
I'm also contacting med schools which do consider foreign bachelors to find out other requirements.
I would be really grateful if you could send me the list of your schools. Also, it would be nice if I can contact you directly via messages to gain more insight into the entire process.
Thanks again for the wonderful post!

Thank you SymphonyNo9 for the extensive and extremely helpful response. I am a permanent resident of the US however I have a foreign bachelor's degree. Currently, I am getting my Master's from a US institution. I want to apply to med schools. I'm considering either getting my bachelors degree from the US (since it makes me eligible to apply to all the US med schools) or enrolling in the post bac program.
I'm also contacting med schools which do consider foreign bachelors to find out other requirements.
I would be really grateful if you could send me the list of your schools. Also, it would be nice if I can contact you directly via messages to gain more insight into the entire process.
Thanks again for the wonderful post!
They won't be able to see your post unless you tag them.

@SymphonyNo9

For those of you who are going to apply to us led schools, is there a back up plan? Can we apply for another country's med schools such as Uk, Australia etc?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile