A Good or Acceptable ADAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toriremoval

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is an acceptable ADAT score? Most people that post I see in the high 90s. I’m hoping that’s not the average to have an acceptable score. For those who got in residency what would you say is an acceptable score?

Members don't see this ad.

What is an acceptable ADAT score? Most people that post I see in the high 90s. I’m hoping that’s not the average to have an acceptable score. For those who got in residency what would you say is an acceptable score?
What specialty are you applying to? The more competitive the specialty the more competitive the scores.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Lol I took it last year and was 50th percentile and considered it NOT competitive

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A good score is around 500-550. Anything above 600 makes you stand out and gets noticed (at least in my experience with endo)

A good score is around 500-550.
I would say a “good” score is 560+. That would put you in the top 20% of test takers. A 500 is literally the 50th percentile, and that is hardly going to help one’s application. Your goal is to distinguish yourself from the competition.

1FAA718C-0826-4E90-8F39-7B7ADD269BC8.jpeg

Big Hoss

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Lol I took it last year and was 50th percentile and considered it NOT competitive
Honestly this killed me lol you got me laughing.

What specialty are you applying to? The more competitive the specialty the more competitive the scores.

Big Hoss
I meant general across the board because someone asked me the question. I guess it is relative to specialty though.

I meant general across the board because someone asked me the question. I guess it is relative to specialty though.
Here’s how I see things based on all my experience, being in the top 20% of your class will give you a solid chance with every specialty. I get that there is some self-selection because not everyone takes the ADAT, but again being in the top 20% will work in your favor. Your goal is to not look like the “average” applicant.

This 20% threshold is what I would aim for. I’m not telling you to be the very top, it’s nice to be there though, but it’s gonna take some work and diligence nonetheless.

Big Hoss

lol I know. I’ve seen the table. When speaking to program directors before applying though, they said anything over a 500 was acceptable. Anything below, recommended to retake. To be competitive, aim for a 600.

In case it helps you this video describes the ADAT exam and scores for getting into endo residency:

Hey everyone,
I heard the ADAT is important for endo… anyone knows about the relevancy for perio residency? I have called a few perio schools in the USA and they were literally asking me : ” What’s the ADAT?” I had already started studying for it and registered for the exam, and when hanging up I felt a little hopeless :/

Also, how hard is it to score high in biostats? How did you prepare for this part?