A few questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benzylique

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a few questions... if someone wouldn't mind answering that would be great!

I just noticed that there are 3 semesters at trinity. oct- dec
jan -.. march??? march to june????
Do we get a 3 week break between most of these semesters or do we usually have exams?

Also, does anyone know of any gyms close to trinity hall or on campus that can be used? Is it free for students or is there a fee??
I was just wondering cause i would like to keep in "moderate" shape while i'm out there!
:luck: :luck:
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Traditionally, the trimesters are 9 weeks, 9 weeks and 6 weeks. You get Christmas break and spring break. you're going into 1st year so you'll probably get decent breaks although I don't think they'll be as long as 3 weeks. I know for final meds and 4th years, the bastards supposedly have scheduled lectures/tutorials til Dec 22nd and we start like Jan 3rd again, and then we won't have a break til we're done with finals in April. Last year (5th year, your 4th year) we didn't get a break from Jan to June (you can't imagine how pissed off we were about that) so people actually just went away for a week and skipped some of rotation.

The exams...i'm not quite sure how they'll work for you because it's changed for you guys. You may or may not have Christmas exams. Your main exams are in May/June, but you may have more minor exams at Christmas and March.

Gyms - there's a gym on campus (right now, luce hall) which is okay...best to go in the morning because ventilation isn't great and it becomes a sweatbox. However, the new sports centre (the new gym) should be ready by March/April 2007, so hopefully that will be a lot better. There are also a couple gyms in city centre, should you choose to shell out money and go private. The gym does cost a bit but minimal (i think like 75 for the year).

i won't address anything about exams or breaks because frankly i get pretty riled up. i think we get enough breaks (personally i'd settle for less so i could finish sooner and get the hell outta dodge, but that's another rant for another time).

as far as gyms go in dublin, you are going ot pay through the nose. i go to ucd so i can't comment on the trinity gym situation. there is a chain of gyms in ireland called crunch fitness. they have a location at ucd belfied which charges around 180 euros a year. not all that bad. facilities are ok. changing facilities are worse than a turkish prison.

there are some very nice gyms in dublin city center, very convenient if you're living on trinity campus. crunch has a location in temple bar. it costs 600 euros for a year. there's another one on clarendon st called jackie skelly fitness, they also charge around the same as crunch (ie astronomical). there is a YMCA on aungier st (georges st). it runs around 250 euros a year but in the evening you litereally can't get in the place and let's just say you wouldn't think of showering in this place if you fell into a pile of elephant ****. hpoe that was a help to you. if money is no object to you, you're fine. otherwise you could take up jogging LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
Howdy guys,
I do have some questions to ask as well before school starts....Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

1) Do we all (1st yr Med @ Trinity) be taking the same classes throughout the year ? Or will we be devided into different groups and be scheduling different classes ?

2) Does each of us has a "tutor" ? Is it the same as an academic advisor?

3) What do we need to bring with us on the Orientation day? Also, what to expect on the Orientation day ?

Thanks again!! :luck:

I think in first year, you'll pretty much all be together. you might have groups for some things, but you'll mainly be one big class. You do have a tutor which you'll meet, but pretty much you'll never see the guy/gal unless you're running into academic or personal troubles. You don't need anything for orientation day...just yourself and be ready to meet people etc.

What happens on orientation day? Is it just the normal meet/greet thing with some free food and a long-ass talk about why the school is the best?

i don't really know...is this the ones that's just for international students? it's just a meet and greet really, no food involved... I can't even remember if I had an orientation day. Whatever it is, can't imagine it's much so don't be building it up to be this big organized thing or whatever :). shouldn't be too long either.

They have separate orientation days for international students and Irish students? I'd think they'd have them for the entire class, regardless of origin.

I'm glad that they aren't anything big, but a little disappointed too. Oh, well.

I'm not sure how it works now. In the past, they only had one for internationals because we entered directly into 2nd year, while the Irish already had been there for a year. Now, I think everyone starts at the beginning of the course but I still am not really sure what they would say in an orientation day that they wouldn't say at the beginning of your classes. That whole week is fresher's week, so there might be some useful fresher's/orientation sessions for you (as an international student).

At UCC they do an orientation day for international degree students from all disciplines where they cover registering with the Garda, how much you are allowed to work as a non-national, safety (just in case you come from a society where it is safe for women to go to parties alone and walk the streets after midnight by themselves) and general stuff about the university and university services. They also have done a panel discussion with students from various disciplines and nationalities talking about their experiences in Cork in which I have participated. Cheers,
M

For anyone who has been at trinity... i was wondering if they provide you with anti virus software?? Or should we have it pre installed before we go and is there any particular one that's accepted there??? McAfee, nortons.... avg ...etc....! thanks!

I think they give you antivirus software or they tell you where to download it off their site. I can't remember which one it is, but you do it when you configure your laptop/computer for the network.

Thanks! that saves me a few bucks before i get there!