A Few Questions about the OATs

dullshine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a Senior taking the OATs this January..is that really late to be considered for acceptance for this following Fall?? I heard that their seats fill up by the end of February...does this mean I have to nail the OATs this January because I won't be able to take them again for 3 months which means it would be too late to count for this fall?

Next dilemma...I haven't been studying for the OATs much at all because I've been so swamped with school...but I finally broke out my Kaplan book (that I bought last November...yeah I'm a procrastinator) and I took a practice test and I seriously must have known like 1 out of every 5 questions...it was pretty bad! Did anyone else feel that way too? I don't even know how to study for this thing because it seems so detailed and I feel like I can't go back and re-learn EVERYTHING I learned in the last 4 years! Also, it's not like I did poorly in my science classes...I actually got A's and B's in all of them! I don't know what to do...I'm feeling reallly apprehensive about the test this January and I don't even know how to study for them over break...Anyone got any useful advice? Please do..:scared:

Helen

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm a Senior taking the OATs this January..is that really late to be considered for acceptance for this following Fall?? I heard that their seats fill up by the end of February...does this mean I have to nail the OATs this January because I won't be able to take them again for 3 months which means it would be too late to count for this fall?

Next dilemma...I haven't been studying for the OATs much at all because I've been so swamped with school...but I finally broke out my Kaplan book (that I bought last November...yeah I'm a procrastinator) and I took a practice test and I seriously must have known like 1 out of every 5 questions...it was pretty bad! Did anyone else feel that way too? I don't even know how to study for this thing because it seems so detailed and I feel like I can't go back and re-learn EVERYTHING I learned in the last 4 years! Also, it's not like I did poorly in my science classes...I actually got A's and B's in all of them! I don't know what to do...I'm feeling reallly apprehensive about the test this January and I don't even know how to study for them over break...Anyone got any useful advice? Please do..:scared:

Helen

Yes you must nail this OAT if you want to go to optometry school next fall. Opt schools become harder to get in every minute after December. You really should switch to high gear and cram your way out of this. Allow yourself 5-7 weeks to study for the OAT hardcore. It's better to take it once and do well rather than take it multiple times to do well the last time. Besides, you really don't have the time to take it more than once.

Go grab yourself a copy of DAT/OAT review book from barnes and nobles. Review the contents tested and do a few practice tests on your own. If you get As for your science classes in college then you shouldn't have problems with the OAT. It's actually pretty straight forward when you know/ are familiar with the material. Best of luck.

Hey guys,

Helen
the kaplan tests and practices are hard core. dont let it freak you out TOO much and feel like u need to know EVERY detail. yes you do need to do everything, but it's all very basic. don't let kaplan scare you. good luck! =)

i'm on the same boat as you except im reapplying. I took the OATs once last year and did horrible because I didn't study and now I just started studying since I just recently graduated, so now I have no other distractions and I plan on taking it at the end of january but im not sure if thats too late also. i'm just scared and I want to make sure that when I do retake it i do really well.

I'm also taking it this January, I'm such a slacker and I might have to pay a big price for this. I found reading the Princeton Cracking the AP series are pretty helpful. I borrowed from my local library for physics, chemistry, and biology. They do a really good job for chemistry since they keep it short and simple. The physics are also more understandable since they break down the sections more unlike Kaplan which combines a lot of concepts, making it confusing. Biology, I haven't looked at it yet, but I think it is comparable to Kaplan. The Cracking series also have practice tests you can do. The Sparksnotes site also have good section on physics since they explain about theories which some of the physics questions on OAT will cover. You can do a search on member svcstar, she posted the site. I definitely recommend the Cracking AP Chem the most, and then the Physics. You can obtain 2 online practice tests, one from DAT book Kaplan sells (which you can borrow from library, hihi, I love my local library) and 1 online from Kaplan website. Good luck to you all.